First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU, 2021 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
Looking for some advice / feedback regarding off-road campers.

We currently own / haul a 35' Travel Trailer but with a JLUR 3.6L on order we are already planning an epic (to us) x-country trip in 2022. Originally we were planning to tent camp because the whole roof-top idea doesn't appeal to me and we want to run with the soft top. Then we started to think about all the gear we would need to buy / pack (which would fill the Jeep) and the fact we had no way to bring our Kayaks when we go Jeep camping. After all that thinking we 'think' we are ready to ditch the 8,000lb condo on wheels and change the way we camp by migrating to an off-road capable camper.

We still want some of the conveniences of a camper, especially when hookups are available (AC / Heat / On board water, Roof Rack, etc.) but we also want something we can boondock with where no 'typical' camper / tow vehicle will travel. The one compromise being that there will be some places we just cannot pull it (The Rubicon).

All that said I've looked at several options and seem to be down to:
No Bo 10.6
Geo Pro 12SRK
E-Pro 12SRK

Yes, there are other options but I can't bring myself to pay 30-50k for a hard sided tent on (all be it beefy) wheels. With the off-road package my 3 choices seem pretty capable although the axle placement on the two SRK's (basically same camper?) seem to give it a departure angle advantage over the No Bo. I like the rear kitchen setup on the SRK's too but I love the bat wing awning on the No Bo.

My problem is that I can't really find many reviews from people who took these units down anything more substantial than a slightly bumpy gravel road. You would think these manufacturers would give one to someone like TrailRecon and say 'go put it to the test and make a video'. Maybe they are afraid they would fall apart ;) I did find one video tour where a guy with a JLUR was using a No Bo 10.6 but I was surprised to see him using a WD hitch. Not sure I would bother when pulling 2,700lbs and 270lb on the tongue. He did have a pretty cool inverter setup on the front of the camper so his tongue may have been pushing the 350 max.

I see some members have the campers listed above so any real-world experience / advice would be greatly appreciated! Any regrets? Any places you planned to go that you turned back? Any bad experiences towing over rough terrain? Any cool mods / accessories you would recommend?

One last thing, it seems Forest River owns all 3 brands but the No Bo's price point seems to be several thousand higher. Any one have any idea why that is? Quality perhaps?

Thanks everyone and sorry for the long post, hopefully many people (besides me) will find it helpful.
Sponsored

uawho

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR Hella Yella
Occupation
Civil engineer
Vehicle Showcase

Fatboy97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Rubicon JL

We currently own / haul a 35' Travel Trailer but with a JLUR 3.6L on order we are already planning an epic (to us) x-country trip in 2022. Originally we were planning to tent camp because the whole roof-top idea doesn't appeal to me and we want to run with the soft top. Then we started to think about all the gear we would need to buy / pack (which would fill the Jeep) and the fact we had no way to bring our Kayaks when we go Jeep camping. After all that thinking we 'think' we are ready to ditch the 8,000lb condo on wheels and change the way we camp by migrating to an off-road capable camper.

We still want some of the conveniences of a camper, especially when hookups are available (AC / Heat / On board water, Roof Rack, etc.) but we also want something we can boondock with where no 'typical' camper / tow vehicle will travel. The one compromise being that there will be some places we just cannot pull it (The Rubicon).

No Bo 10.6
Geo Pro 12SRK
E-Pro 12SRK

Yes, there are other options but I can't bring myself to pay 30-50k for a hard sided tent on (all be it beefy) wheels. With the off-road package my 3 choices seem pretty capable although the axle placement on the two SRK's (basically same camper?) seem to give it a departure angle advantage over the No Bo. I like the rear kitchen setup on the SRK's too but I love the bat wing awning on the No Bo.

My problem is that I can't really find many reviews from people who took these units down anything more substantial than a slightly bumpy gravel road. You would think these manufacturers would give one to someone like TrailRecon and say 'go put it to the test and make a video'. Maybe they are afraid they would fall apart ;) I did find one video tour where a guy with a JLUR was using a No Bo 10.6 but I was surprised to see him using a WD hitch. Not sure I would bother when pulling 2,700lbs and 270lb on the tongue. He did have a pretty cool inverter setup on the front of the camper so his tongue may have been pushing the 350 max.

I see some members have the campers listed above so any real-world experience / advice would be greatly appreciated! Any regrets? Any places you planned to go that you turned back? Any bad experiences towing over rough terrain? Any cool mods / accessories you would recommend?

One last thing, it seems Forest River owns all 3 brands but the No Bo's price point seems to be several thousand higher. Any one have any idea why that is? Quality perhaps?

Thanks everyone and sorry for the long post, hopefully many people (besides me) will find it helpful.
Check out cedar ridge teardrops. They are custom made at a very reasonable price. Much better than anything mass manufactured. Look real hard at what brands you mentioned and you will realize what junk they really are. https://cedarridgecampers.com/contact/

Sponsored

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
The biggest advantage of a WDH is the ability to control sway as well as squat. Even with the JLU you are still a really short wheelbase and the slightest sway is magnified while on the pavement. But be aware the OEM receiver on the JL is a Class 2. Not attached strongly enough to the frame for a WDH. I also wouldn't recommend any off road camper with a solid axle. Go with one of the independent suspensions. I don't think you will be able to get all you creature comforts into a true off roader towable with a JL unless you plan to park at the trailheads. I'll stick with my setup and take the house too.

uawho

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR Hella Yella
Occupation
Civil engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Being able to "boondock" as you put it was the primary driver for us too.
The Mean Bean we have, does have a solid axle, but has pretty good ground clearance.
We have hit the front hitch a few times going over obstacles, but nothing that threatened to get us stuck or cause damage.

We've dragged it to many places where you just can't get a bigger trailer. 4x4 is required and low range is used often. This strips out most other folks that have a bigger SUV or truck with a bigger trailer or 5th wheel. And that is the goal. Get to places without many people.

OP
OP
MaineBumpkin

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Thank you everyone. We decided to go with the Cedar Ridge Vega XT. Juts a few comments about some of your suggestions:

-I like the Meaner Bean (and a couple of others like the escapod) but the pricing and lead times were too much for me. The Vega is going to get me all the features I want on a 3500lb Timbren suspension and 33" KO2's for around 20k

-Triple tow was something I considered but I would be pushing 60' from the rooter to the tooter. I've also read that with a 5er it is doable but it's no recommended for travel trailers. Maybe if I win the lotto I'll get a class A and pull the Wrangler behind our house :like:

With 33" tires, Timbren suspension, skid plates and sliders on the camper maybe I could attempt the Rubicon :LOL: All kidding aside, I guess the only thing would avoid is tight switch back roads that require multi-point turns (like Black Bear Pass).

If anyone else stumbles on this thread I can only say, do your home work, read, google, youtube until your eyes hurt. I was pretty excited about one brand which was very reasonably priced until I found one user who had to replace 3 wheel bearings and eventually had to swap out the 2,000lb axel they put on it. The sad fact is, that manufacturer has a 12+ month backlog so there is no motivation to improve the design.

I'll come back with an update after we take delivery and take it on it's maiden voyage.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Thank you everyone. We decided to go with the Cedar Ridge Vega XT. Juts a few comments about some of your suggestions:

-I like the Meaner Bean (and a couple of others like the escapod) but the pricing and lead times were too much for me. The Vega is going to get me all the features I want on a 3500lb Timbren suspension and 33" KO2's for around 20k

-Triple tow was something I considered but I would be pushing 60' from the rooter to the tooter. I've also read that with a 5er it is doable but it's no recommended for travel trailers. Maybe if I win the lotto I'll get a class A and pull the Wrangler behind our house :like:

With 33" tires, Timbren suspension, skid plates and sliders on the camper maybe I could attempt the Rubicon :LOL: All kidding aside, I guess the only thing would avoid is tight switch back roads that require multi-point turns (like Black Bear Pass).

If anyone else stumbles on this thread I can only say, do your home work, read, google, youtube until your eyes hurt. I was pretty excited about one brand which was very reasonably priced until I found one user who had to replace 3 wheel bearings and eventually had to swap out the 2,000lb axel they put on it. The sad fact is, that manufacturer has a 12+ month backlog so there is no motivation to improve the design.

I'll come back with an update after we take delivery and take it on it's maiden voyage.
Did you ever take delivery?

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I have been using the E-PRO 12RK for over two years and pull it down the trail. I have towed it across the US several time. I have currently pulled it 22,000 miles or so. We have had zero issues with it.

I ditched the air conditioning and replaced it with a Maxfan. I got tired of hauling a generator with us. We boondock camp 99% of the time. It has only been in a real campground a couple nights. We also winter camp with it as well as camp in the desert with it. Camped every season with it.

I have had zero issue with it. I did do some mods to it. I put a full articulation hitch on it, changed the tongue jack so that I could open the rear tailgate of the Jeep while the Jeep is hooked up, removed the fridge out of the back to free up space as I run a big fridge in the Jeep. and added a big batwing awning. I also changed the mattress inside to a 10 in, memory foam mattress. We sleep great in the camper.

I paid $9,900 for the camper brand new. I though hey I can buy two of these for the cost of something like a Hiker.... It has been excellent.

Some pics from around the US.

Jeep Wrangler JL Off-Road Campers 1625051470267

Jeep Wrangler JL Off-Road Campers 1625051504137

Cape Lookout National Shoreline.
Jeep Wrangler JL Off-Road Campers 1625051606892

George Washington National Forest
Jeep Wrangler JL Off-Road Campers 1625051766390

Winter Camping on the trail.
Jeep Wrangler JL Off-Road Campers 1625051935651

The Lake Tahoe side of the Rubicon
Jeep Wrangler JL Off-Road Campers 1625052034870

Camping along the Snake river in Idaho.
Jeep Wrangler JL Off-Road Campers 1625052462312

Better view of the campsite.
Jeep Wrangler JL Off-Road Campers 1625052494052

Top of a mountain in Wyoming.

Jeep Wrangler JL Off-Road Campers 1625052705479

Jeep Wrangler JL Off-Road Campers 1625052978440

Jeep Wrangler JL Off-Road Campers 1625053143633

Sponsored

OP
OP
MaineBumpkin

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I have been using the E-PRO 12RK for over two years ...
I actually looked at many of your posts and it's what got me thinking about downsizing to an off-road camper. I looked at the E-Pro and the NoBo options but at the time, availability and lead times were not good. I went to my local dealer and asked about lead times and they laughed. Cedar Ridge were the only ones I found who could deliver what I wanted in a reasonable timeframe.

VAJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU

No Bo 10.6
Geo Pro 12SRK
E-Pro 12SRK

I was searching for a small camper for the same reasons you are. I seriously considered the E-Pro until I crawled under it and saw the chipboard floor, YIKES!
The traditional tear drops are like the

No Bo 10.6
Geo Pro 12SRK
E-Pro 12SRK

I was also conserving the E-Pro until I crawled under it and saw the chipboard floor, YIKES!
The teardrops are really nice like the NuCamp tag but for 20k I expected more that tinfoil as fenders, I could see ripping one of those off on the first outing!
I settled on the all aluminum A-Fram construction of the inTech RV. It has a torsion axel and all the creature comforts you’d expect but no on-board water, which I prefer, water tanks are nothing but a problem.
I have the 270° Awning with the four optional panels that enclose the space creating a great space for cooking during thunderstorms.
the biggest selling point for me, besides construction, was the fact that the inTech is not a one trick pony, I use this trailer all the time for grabbing large items from the hardware store or picking up furniture for the wife.
It sits in the garage ready to go at all times, perfect!

Good luck with what ever you choose, you’ll have a ton of fun with any of them.

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
I had an Intech RV Flyer Pursue for just under a year, it was a great trailer but no on-board water got old. I "upgraded" to the Sol Dawn Rover, extremely nice trailer but came with some major downsides (for me at least). I sold that in April and ordered a Taxa Outdoors Cricket, hoping to pick it up in the next couple weeks.

While not a real "off-road" trailer it will handle the roads that I would be pulling it on and is setup to be off-grid friendly. Has on-board water, the ability to stand up inside, and still fits in the garage.

Last edited:

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Unfortunately no, there were some production delays, hopefully we will pick it up in early August.
Wow! That’s crazy long. Will it be around 6 months for delivery? I’m over here having a hard time waiting 90 days for my Turtleback.
Sponsored