OEM vs OEE windshield replacement.

acoz8

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
The OEE option is about 120 bucks cheaper. Has anyone else gone with this? And how would you recommend it?
Sponsored

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Actually it’s probably made at the same place, just doesn’t have the logos. I went with OEM w/logos. I wanted it back the same as new.

Mojito Mojo

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Apache Junction, AZ and North Mankato, MN
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito Rubicon JLU, 2004 Corvette convertible, 2015 HD Road Glide, 2014 Indian Chief Vintage
Occupation
Retired
I’m scheduled to get my windshield replaced today. When working with State Farm and the glass company I was very specific that I wanted OEM. State Farm told me that I might be responsible for any price difference but the glass installer told me that wouldn’t be a problem. I have zero deductible BTW.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m scheduled to get my windshield replaced today. When working with State Farm and the glass company I was very specific that I wanted OEM. State Farm told me that I might be responsible for any price difference but the glass installer told me that wouldn’t be a problem. I have zero deductible BTW.
I think I annoyed the glass company that did mine by calling them back and telling them to make sure it was for a JL.
There’s going to be a problem for someone, with there being two different 18 Wranglers.

Mojito Mojo

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito Rubicon JLU, 2004 Corvette convertible, 2015 HD Road Glide, 2014 Indian Chief Vintage
Occupation
Retired
I think I annoyed the glass company that did mine by calling them back and telling them to make sure it was for a JL.
There’s going to be a problem for someone, with there being two different 18 Wranglers.
They go off the VIN #. Not only will they be able to tell if it’s a JK or JL, but if you have the 8.4” audio which comes with acoustic glass.

Sponsored

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Safelite did mine with the Logo one, great job , but did not vacuum the car out, no big deal...... Funny how rocks hit the straight up windshields more than any other ones.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
They go off the VIN #. Not only will they be able to tell if it’s a JK or JL, but if you have the 8.4” audio which comes with acoustic glass.
Do you have any idea how the acoustic glass windshield might affect the ability to change to the Gorilla Glass one: that is if a windshield needs to be replaced anyway because the initial one was damaged and you want to upgrade someday (not available today, correct?) to the Gorilla product?

What I mean to say is that will the Gorilla Glass one come in acoustic and non-acoustic varieties.

(yeah, I know, all windshield are made of acoustic glass when they break;)

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Actually, I’ve not seen a JL without acoustic glass. I know it officially comes with the stereo upgrade, and normal glass is available in the replacements, but every one I’ve looked at, from Sports to Rubis, has said acoustic in the corner. Maybe factory had supply issues with normal glass.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
The OEE option is about 120 bucks cheaper. Has anyone else gone with this? And how would you recommend it?
@acoz8

To my knowledge the only windshield available for the JL at this time is the OEM/Mopar one and that is it.

I'd like to see info .... a link to this "OEE option" you are talking about.

Sponsored

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
Actually, I’ve not seen a JL without acoustic glass. I know it officially comes with the stereo upgrade, and normal glass is available in the replacements, but every one I’ve looked at, from Sports to Rubis, has said acoustic in the corner. Maybe factory had supply issues with normal glass.
I can also confirm this. My 2019 Sport came with Acoustic glass, and I have the base (non-alpine) radio.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
There is no aftermarket Windshield offering for the JL at this time. IF there is, (doubtful) show me the link. Again, OEM and it is an Acoustical Windshield.

You have 2 different OEM/Mopar acoustical windshields offerings. One is for all 2018 JL's and fairly recently, a new one specifically for the 2019 JL that requires the two wires coming off the windshield itself, that are apparently use to provide 12v power to a little heating gird at the top of the windshield.

Again, only certain 2019 JL's need this second type of acoustical windshield with the two wires coming out of the top of it. The JL optioned with proximity sensor, adaptive cruise control....

Last edited:

Mojito Mojo

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Do you have any idea how the acoustic glass windshield might affect the ability to change to the Gorilla Glass one: that is if a windshield needs to be replaced anyway because the initial one was damaged and you want to upgrade someday (not available today, correct?) to the Gorilla product?

What I mean to say is that will the Gorilla Glass one come in acoustic and non-acoustic varieties.

(yeah, I know, all windshield are made of acoustic glass when they break;)
So is Gorilla Glass going to be an aftermarket product or something offered by MOPAR? What are it’s features and benefits?

Last edited:

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
So is Gorilla Glass going to be an aftermarket product or something offered by MOPAR? What are it’s featu and benefits?
The little I know; which I suspect is less than what is currently known.

FCA will carry it--I don't know if yet are as a factory or after purchase option, promising less chance of breakage at higher cost and I believe higher warranty.

I know it's not the same, but my daughter just bought this sacrificial glass case cover for her mobile phone.

FCA, are you listening?
Sponsored