Nubie question - basic recovery

Charmagne

First Name
Charmagne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
80th AE JL
Hi - my Jeep will be more of a pavement princess than anything else and I won't be on any serious technical roads for sure. That being said, I will take her off road and drive around with others in NFS and BLM. I tried.to research recovery/snatch/tow ropes to determine which would be best to provide someone who.is helping me in my JL if I get stuck. My searches only confused me *sigh*. I'm hoping someone can give advice on what to have on hand for the scenario mentioned? I don't want to be THAT person if I do get stuck. Thank you for the advice.
Sponsored

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Cell phone with good service.

shovel

traction boards

air compressor. (So you can air down your tires for best traction, then pump them back up when done)

better to be able to get unstuck, before needing a recovery.

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'

shovel

traction boards

air compressor. (So you can air down your tires for best traction, then pump them back up when done)

Exactly ^^^ that ^^^.

I'd add that having a strap & a kinetic recovery rope would be handy along with a tow hook on the front and rear of your Jeep.

CTMopar

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 20 Cherokee Trail Hawk & 21 JL Willys
If you are being pulled out you want a dynamic recovery rope not a tow strap/rope. They do make recovery/snatch straps but these are not as dynamic and have a limited number of pulls in them before needing to be retired.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Charmagne

Charmagne

First Name
Charmagne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
80th AE JL

shovel

traction boards

Thank you - I have a first aid kit and all those items already - although my recovery boards are GoTreads and not full boards. Just wanted to round out my "kit" with what I was thinking the essentials should be. Any advice on the original question?

OP
OP
Charmagne

Charmagne

First Name
Charmagne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
80th AE JL
You only need 3 things:
  1. A cell phone with good reception
  2. A folding chair
  3. A case of beer; preferably chilled
:like:
Haha - small YETI with premixed margaritas - check. Cell service gets spotty in NFS and BLM but I do have the UConnect service.

OP
OP
Charmagne

Charmagne

First Name
Charmagne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
80th AE JL
If you are being pulled out you want a dynamic recovery rope not a tow strap/rope. They do make recovery/snatch straps but these are not as dynamic and have a limited number of pulls in them before needing to be retired.
Thank you - I'll check that out. I read on another forum 2 " and 20 to 30 feet - would you agree?

Deleted member 59498

Rhino makes good straps for all around use. Can check them out. I have not used them but buddy helped pull a couple out of snowy ditch worked fine. 3 inch straps, they may be a bit more money but when you need them...

Most of us keep straps in the jeep for winter mostly.

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Thank you - I have a first aid kit and all those items already - although my recovery boards are GoTreads and not full boards. Just wanted to round out my "kit" with what I was thinking the essentials should be. Any advice on the original question?
To be clear, what i listed are the answer to the first things that should be in your kit.

going beyond that there are a lot of things you can add, but you should only add them & use them with proper knowledge.
Snatch strap
Soft shackles
Recovery points on the jeep. (NOT hooks) closed recovery points.

water & some sort of protein bars / power bars

Sponsored

CTMopar

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 20 Cherokee Trail Hawk & 21 JL Willys
Thank you - I'll check that out. I read on another forum 2 " and 20 to 30 feet - would you agree?
Yes 2” is what you will want if you go with a strap. 3/4” if you go with a rope. You want it to be in the area of 3 times the weight of the heavier vehicle involved so look at 15-20k rating. If you go with a rope/strap rated higher you will not get the dynamic stretch that is needed and you risk injury or breaking things.

OP
OP
Charmagne

Charmagne

First Name
Charmagne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
80th AE JL
To be clear, what i listed are the answer to the first things that should be in your kit.

going beyond that there are a lot of things you can add, but you should only add them & use them with proper knowledge.
Snatch strap
Soft shackles
Recovery points on the jeep. (NOT hooks) closed recovery points.

water & some sort of protein bars / power bars
Agreed and thank you - I would not do anything without researching and making sure I understand what I'm doing - that's why I came here (to start) and I very much appreciate all the comments :). Part of the desire to understand and make myself educated on the matter is also knowing when a well-intentioned good samaritan might be doing something wrong. I don't intend to get stuck in the first place - but I'm pretty sure nobody goes out there intending to get stuck :)
Sponsored