Basic kit

Bulletbill

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Guys I’m sincerely sorry if I stepped on toes here. I was simply trying to get some info out that might help newbies to the Jeep world. By no stretch was my list intended to be all encompassing or required for all. It is, simply, a basic list of what has worked quite well for me, and would certainly put any newbie miles ahead of where they be empty handed and hung up (as one of our new member were last night based on his post). I have personally encountered new folks out in the world who had no idea “how” to use a Jeep off-road, including one that couldn’t get his into 4 WD, and another, in a Rubicon, who was stuck and had no idea what a “locker” was. When I was a pup the folks driving Jeeps and similar rigs were primarily outdoorsmen, and most seemed to have a good handle on what they needed to get by in the wilds. They knew their rig and what they could and couldn’t do. Today, lots of folks are out there with no idea what conditions they may encounter, or how to deal with them. Seems many believe, “I’ve got a Jeep, I can’t get stuck” all us geezers know a that is Wrong😏. I hope newbies will read and learn. Anyone with ideas that will help the new folks should chime in. None of us is as smart as ALL of us!
Based on recent posts of some misadventures I think your list was timely and informed. I am a “mid-level” off-road enthusiast, but definitely not seasoned. I carry most of what’s on your list and some extras, to include a gmrs radio and mini saw.

But for a novice I think your list nails the basics that many new Jeepers can draw from. I’ve spent more money on recovery gear and items on your list than mods to my Jeep.

For many new to off roading an off the lot Jeep is more than capable of taking you deep into the unknown and well beyond help. So, I would ignore the one poster who apparently didn’t understand the nature of your post.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Based on recent posts of some misadventures I think your list was timely and informed. I am a “mid-level” off-road enthusiast, but definitely not seasoned. I carry most of what’s on your list and some extras, to include a gmrs radio and mini saw.

But for a novice I think your list nails the basics that many new Jeepers can draw from. I’ve spent more money on recovery gear and items on your list than mods to my Jeep.

For many new to off roading an off the lot Jeep is more than capable of taking you deep into the unknown and well beyond help. So, I would ignore the one poster who apparently didn’t understand the nature of your post.
Thanks! That was my hope. The problem with a Jeep is that even the base unit is very capable of taking you places most vehicles can’t go. That’s great until you get stuck, and then you may be a long way from Bubba’s towing service. To enjoy your rig and stay safe a certain self reliance (and the tools to work with) is required.

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
The problem with a Jeep is that even the base unit is very capable of taking you places most vehicles can’t go.
My dad, WWII paratrooper, used to say that parachutes, jeeps, and kayaks will all get you into places you should have stayed out of.

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
Couple other thoughts. Both of my jeeps have been 2 doors so storage space is limited. I keep some of my gear in a couple saddle bags that live on both sides of the seat and double as arm rests for rear passengers. My other hard core off road trail recovery rescue gear lives in a HF tool box that I can just grab and go for wheeling.

I have a system set up so that I can secure everything with dirt bike tiedowns.

Aways make sure your gear it tight off road.

Finally, I carry a couple of female pads with me. Yes they can be used for their intended purpose if my wife or daughter is ever with me (or anyone else) and needs one or…. If anyone gets a serious cut they are designed to soak up blood.

58Willys

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Can you give some examples? I am genuinely curious.
A couple of years ago on a ski trip the top radiator hose on my F-350 let loose. Several wraps of tie wire we were on our way. Another time I tied up someone’s exhaust when the pipe clamp broke.

Sponsored

samcbryant

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door
Here is my list. Some of this is do as I say, not as I do. For example, I keep the change of clothes at my trailer and my spare is smaller than my tires. Also keep in mind that I generally go on day trips with other people. Things I only carry in my Big Ass Jeep are marked with a *

Basic Equipment
Every vehicle should carry these and they should be securely fastened down (like everything else). You should be able to reach the fire extinguisher from your seat. Factory seat belts do not release if you are upside down (don't ask how I know this) so you need some sort of cutting tool within reach.

GMRS and/or CB radio
Cooler with water and lunches
First aid kit (include any of your family's special needs like EpiPens or insulin)
Fire extinguisher
Rain ponchos
Complete change of clothes
Full size spare tire
Jack
Small piece of 3/4" plywood
Wrench to remove tire (and key if you have locking lug nuts)
Specialty tools for your vehicle

Good to have
With the exception of the Hi-Lift, every vehicle really should have these too. Contrary to popular belief, a Hi-Hift is not a substitute for a winch unless you carry several lengths of chain with hooks and bolts.

Space blanket
Sun screen
Bug spray
Tow strap or kinetic rope (no hooks on ends!)
Shackle
Short piece of chain with washers and bolt that fits through middle links
Small tarp or blanket ground cloth
Hand towel(s)
Ratchet strap
*High lift jack
*Entrenching tool or small shovel

Basic Tools
Regardless of your mechanical skills you should carry these to fix your rig of someone else's.

Philips and flat screwdrivers
Adjustable wrench
Set of combination wrenches (metric or SAE to fit your vehicle)
Pliers
Ball peen hammer
Duct tape
Zip ties
Small roll heavy wire and something to cut it
Spare fuses
Fan belt(s)

Optional Tools
These are really more for the skilled mechanic, but consider carrying a few of these as well.

*Schrader valve and removal tool
Chisel
Punch
Socket set
Small vice grip
Channel locks
Allen wrenches
Torx bits (if your vehicle is cursed with them)
Stubby and offset screwdrivers
Hacksaw
File
Teflon tape
WD-40 or wire dry spray
Scissors
Electrical tester
Wire strippers
Electrical wire, tape and connectors
Misc. nuts and bolts
*Extra fluids (motor oil, brake fluid, power steering fluid, ATF, gear lube)

Other stuff I carry
Chain saw
Soft shackle
Winch kit (tree saver, snatch block, winch controller)
*2 lb sledge hammer
*Hi-Lift Lift Mate
This is great! I'm a newbie to owning a Jeep and found this helpful. I'm taking my jeep on the beach and on of the requirements is a tow rope 3/4" x 14'(minimum)

You mention kinetic rope in the list followed by (no hooks on ends!). Are hooks likely to separate from the rope? That seems to make sense, but reaching :)

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
You mention kinetic rope in the list followed by (no hooks on ends!). Are hooks likely to separate from the rope?
It's because if the hook breaks or slips off, it can become a pretty deadly projectile. You want to use a rope with loops and connect it with either a bow shackle or soft shackle. Both are much less likely to come off, if the soft shackle fails it is much less likely to cause any damage.

OP
OP

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
This is great! I'm a newbie to owning a Jeep and found this helpful. I'm taking my jeep on the beach and on of the requirements is a tow rope 3/4" x 14'(minimum)

You mention kinetic rope in the list followed by (no hooks on ends!). Are hooks likely to separate from the rope? That seems to make sense, but reaching :)
Look for a nice nylon snatch strap-like 25 ft or so. It will roll up nicely and fit out of site in the compartment under the carpet in the back.. loops on the ends, and soft shackles to fit your tow hooks.
Sponsored