Sponsored

Last edited:

Borgs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU SPORT
Vehicle Showcase
My first vehicle when I was 16 was a $500 Dodge Reliant K Car. It squealed when i turned left and at a red traffic light, you had to put it neutral and give it gas or it would stall. Driving through a puddle got my feet wet and the interior smelled of anti freeze... The very LAST thing on my mind was if I had" Wet wipe toilet paper (larger then baby wipes) or Sun Tan Lotion "
Are you kidding me? It's a new jeep with roadside assistance, built in bluetooth with auto connect, The very best 4x4 system that can handle any road condition. The only road kit he needs is a tow sling so he can drag his buddys "K-Car" to repair shop.

OP
OP

billlumberg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Jeep
My first vehicle when I was 16 was a $500 Dodge Reliant K Car. It squealed when i turned left and at a red traffic light, you had to put it neutral and give it gas or it would stall. Driving through a puddle got my feet wet and the interior smelled of anti freeze... The very LAST thing on my mind was if I had" Wet wipe toilet paper (larger then baby wipes) or Sun Tan Lotion "
Are you kidding me? It's a new jeep with roadside assistance, built in bluetooth with auto connect, The very best 4x4 system that can handle any road condition. The only road kit he needs is a tow sling so he can drag his buddys "K-Car" to repair shop.
Borgs, sorry I asked the question. I like being prepared for any situation (ala the JL test drive where the JL went haywire). Yes, they are fantastic machines, but not perfect. I also stated this was overkill for him right now, but want him to get in the mode of having the appropriate resources with him. I am new to this forum, but have been lurking for a while. I think i will go back in that mode and go to some other boards for specific questions.

Borgs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU SPORT
Vehicle Showcase
Borgs, sorry I asked the question. I like being prepared for any situation (ala the JL test drive where the JL went haywire). Yes, they are fantastic machines, but not perfect. I also stated this was overkill for him right now, but want him to get in the mode of having the appropriate resources with him. I am new to this forum, but have been lurking for a while. I think i will go back in that mode and go to some other boards for specific questions.
Don't get all dramatic, I'm sorry if i upset you. Sorry my last post came off like I was ranting but I know some Mom-brillas that cover their teenagers in pillows and wipe food off their face and your post reminded me of them. But your list to me seemed more like 'we live in Mad Max Thunderdome kit' then a 'roadside kit'. I mean its 2018, with Cell phone coverage everywhere, even Mt. Everest has 4G. All I meant was don't worry about no overkill road side kit....Agreed that your basic kit will come in handy for safety and for that crucial survival of 1 hour till roadside get you, but In my opinion for what it worth, just let your kid enjoy the jeep and keep the rear cargo area free for his soccer equipment or flute or what ever instead of this survival suitcase you got going. Congratulations to your 16 yr old son on his jeep JLU and do stay on the forums, I too lurk here and find it very helpful. I don't mean any disrespect to you or your questions. Good luck building your "End of the world" kit

Sponsored

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
There are two things I keep in all my family cars: a tow strap and jumping cables. To me those are a must, specially for us with hard winters. In my car I also carry a compact compressor.
Truth be told, I have never needed those things for my self, but every year I have been able to help someone else. I like helping people. Not everyone else is a lucky as I have been or have a newer car. Some people have to drive with bold tires in the snow to get to work.

Rick12785

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
X2 for tow strap and cables. I also carry tie-down straps, flares, flashlight w/ extra batteries, shop towels, and a first aid kit with tourniquet and space blanket. Can't go wrong with a good multi-tool and a roll of duct tape. Even with quick communication it could take some time for rescue to get to you. You can never be too prepared...

gentryTX

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Don't get all dramatic, I'm sorry if i upset you. Sorry my last post came off like I was ranting but I know some Mom-brillas that cover their teenagers in pillows and wipe food off their face and your post reminded me of them. But your list to me seemed more like 'we live in Mad Max Thunderdome kit' then a 'roadside kit'. I mean its 2018, with Cell phone coverage everywhere, even Mt. Everest has 4G. All I meant was don't worry about no overkill road side kit....Agreed that your basic kit will come in handy for safety and for that crucial survival of 1 hour till roadside get you, but In my opinion for what it worth, just let your kid enjoy the jeep and keep the rear cargo area free for his soccer equipment or flute or what ever instead of this survival suitcase you got going. Congratulations to your 16 yr old son on his jeep JLU and do stay on the forums, I too lurk here and find it very helpful. I don't mean any disrespect to you or your questions. Good luck building your "End of the world" kit
They have 4G service on Mt Everest? I seriously cannot even get reception for calls/texts at my office building out here in the suburbs of Austin.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Honestly I think it’s the title of the thread that throws some people off Your kit seems really advanced to me. I definitely wouldn’t consider it basic. My basic kit was always some baling wire and a roll of quarters!:)

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honestly I think it’s the title of the thread that throws some people off Your kit seems really advanced to me. I definitely wouldn’t consider it basic. My basic kit was always some baling wire and a roll of quarters!:)
Funny you mention the roll of quarters. I never saw the use for it, but my wife swears by it. She has to have a roll of quarters in her purse. As for the bailing wire....she’s from Kansas, she may be carrying that too.:like:

Sponsored

sm16

First Name
Sanjay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi, 2016 BMW X6M
They have 4G service on Mt Everest? I seriously cannot even get reception for calls/texts at my office building out here in the suburbs of Austin.
:cwl:

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Funny you mention the roll of quarters. I never saw the use for it, but my wife swears by it. She has to have a roll of quarters in her purse. As for the bailing wire....she’s from Kansas, she may be carrying that too.:like:
Roll of quarters is twenty bucks of gas, food, phone calls back in the pay phone days, and held correctly, makes a formidable weapon!

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Original poster deleted his list....or ran out of room in the Jeep for everything :)

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I never so the list.