Sponsored

New to Wrangler some basic questions

EZPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
Just got my 2020 Willys JLU used, not from jeep dealer.
1) What is the difference between Willys and Willys Sport? Window Sticker in bold - 2020 Jeep Wrangler Willys.
Small type bellow under list of options, starts out with Willys Sport.
2)Tires are BF Goodrich 285/70/17. It looks like there are spacers. Do I need them with this tire size?
3) Is my Willys or my Willys Sport already raised?
Not planning to rock crawl. But looking forward to light trails. Thanks in advance on your thoughts.

Jeep Wrangler JL New to Wrangler some basic questions IMG_1107
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
EZPower

EZPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
OK, found what the difference is between Willys and Willys Sport.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Just got my 2020 Willys JLU used, not from jeep dealer.
1) What is the difference between Willys and Willys Sport? Window Sticker in bold - 2020 Jeep Wrangler Willys.
Small type bellow under list of options, starts out with Willys Sport.
2)Tires are BF Goodrich 285/70/17. It looks like there are spacers. Do I need them with this tire size?
3) Is my Willys or my Willys Sport already raised?
Not planning to rock crawl. But looking forward to light trails. Thanks in advance on your thoughts.

Jeep Wrangler JL New to Wrangler some basic questions IMG_1107
Why do you think you have spacers? Those are stock wheels and tires as far as I can tell. Are they poking out of the fenders?

Ron93YJ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Why do you think you have spacers? Those are stock wheels and tires as far as I can tell. Are they poking out of the fenders?
I don’t think 28570r17 is stock for a Willy’s. Hard to tell from the picture if there are spacers or not. I don’t think spacers are necessary with 33s.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I don’t think 28570r17 is stock for a Willy’s. Hard to tell from the picture if there are spacers or not. I don’t think spacers are necessary with 33s.
To be honest, I don't even know. Regardless, doesn't look like there is a lift and it's definitely stock wheels, so a spacer would be out of place for sure.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the forum!

Those don’t look like the stock tires. From here they look like 32.7x11.2-inch KO2s, which suggests they might be Rubicon takeoffs.

They should fit fine without rubbing.

Good luck.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
They are the same tires that a Rubicon comes with. Does the spare match? The wheels are the proper ones for a Willys. It may have Rubicon springs added, probably not. The tires the Willys comes with are 32.1” tall, the tires that are on it are 32.7” tall so there is hardly any visual difference in height, but they are a little wider. A good upgrade in my opinion.

A Willys Sport is a basic Jeep with hand crank windows. A Willys adds power windows/door locks and LED headlights and fog lights. There are a lot more options you can add to a Willys vs a Willys Sport. Jeep does a terrible job of naming packages.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EZPower

EZPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
I can see the spacers. 1.75" or 2" between the tire rims and rotor. The tires are not stock firestone.

OP
OP
EZPower

EZPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
They are the same tires that a Rubicon comes with. Does the spare match? The wheels are the proper ones for a Willys. It may have Rubicon springs added, probably not. The tires the Willys comes with are 32.1” tall, the tires that are on it are 32.7” tall so there is hardly any visual difference in height, but they are a little wider. A good uograde in my opinion.

A Willys Sport is a basic Jeep with hand crank windows. A Willys adds power windows/door locks and LED headlights and fog lights. There are a lot more options you can add to a Willys vs a Willys Sport. Jeep does a terrible job of naming packages.
Spare matches the tires. Looks like previous owner upgraded to all 5. Mine is Willys not sport. Lots of electronic useful options.

Reactions: OBD

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep does a terrible job of naming packages.
For some reason Jeep has gotten into its head that blurring the lines between “trims” and “packages” is a good thing.

I feel sorry for newbies going to the Jeep.com build page and getting slapped in the face with 14 different types of Wranglers!

To make it worse, the descriptions of each Wrangler type are not very clear.

OP
OP
EZPower

EZPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
Very odd. I wonder why they did that. Just for the look I guess. I've never been a fan of spacers but to each his own.
Im thinking of removing them next time I go in for service. I'll have to talk to the service department at my local Dealer. When I started looking at getting the Jeep there, the sales person was completely useless in regards to 4wd. Didn't know the how 4H and 2H worked for traction when one wheel is slipping on each axel. Didn't even know what LSD is or how it worked. :( Fortunately Jeep forums helped a great deal with information. I came from Subaru Crosstek with all wheel drive and software to help with traction.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Those spacers may be needed if you plan to remove your sway bar and fully flex your coil springs when off road. Since you have the stock wheels with the wider/taller Rubicon BFG tires you may have inner fender contact at full flex. Not having this specific setup I can't say with certainty that there will be contact issues, but keep in mind your axles are 1.5" narrower than the Rubicon and the stock wheels are +44 offset. With your spacers your wheels are now a more "suspension friendly" +10 offset give or take.

I'm not a fan of spacers but at least you have that option if you do need them to keep from any contact issues. You could always remove your front sway and lift one front corner and see how much room you have on the inside.

Nice looking Jeep BTW!

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Those spacers may be needed if you plan to remove your sway bar and fully flex your coil springs when off road. Since you have the stock wheels with the wider/taller Rubicon BFG tires you may have inner fender contact at full flex. Not having this specific setup I can't say with certainty that there will be contact issues, but keep in mind your axles are 1.5" narrower than the Rubicon and the stock wheels are +44 offset. With your spacers your wheels are now a more "suspension friendly" +10 offset give or take.

I'm not a fan of spacers but at least you have that option if you do need them to keep from any contact issues. You could always remove your front sway and lift one front corner and see how much room you have on the inside.

Nice looking Jeep BTW!
Valid point on the spacer install for sure.

OP
OP
EZPower

EZPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys

Nice looking Jeep BTW!
I think what i will do, is when I visit my local 4x4 shop to help me with installing a new bumper, I will also ask them to check on the spacers to make sure they are good quality, and not the cheep ones.
Sponsored