Nostalgia...

OldBird

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Most of what you are complaining about can be attributed to the government and all their mandated safety BS. There's also no law that says you can't own a JL and a <insert old nostalgic wrangler model of choice>.
Yeah, stupid government requiring sound deadening material, satellite radio and navigation systems! I mean really, why would the government require me to have seat heaters and a smooth ride with 35" tires at stock height?
Sponsored

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
Actually I think Jeep has done an amazing job of keeping the classic feel. Few other vehicles (maybe even none) have done that. Want that classic muscle car look and feel? Gotta shell out the bucks for a restored classic. The Jeep is one
I was just saying this morning that I can't believe we are still able to buy a street legal vehicle where the doors are designed to easily be removed and the windshield folded down.

As for nostalgia - it ain't a real 4x4 unless you have to get out of the vehicle to put it in 4wd :)

mintswitch

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I was just saying this morning that I can't believe we are still able to buy a street legal vehicle where the doors are designed to easily be removed and the windshield folded down.

As for nostalgia - it ain't a real 4x4 unless you have to get out of the vehicle to put it in 4wd :)
Haha yeah. But at least the Jeep still has an actual level that you pull instead of just turning a stupid knob or something on the dash.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Haha yeah. But at least the Jeep still has an actual level that you pull instead of just turning a stupid knob or something on the dash.
Ah yeah, in a Ford Explorer you twist a knob to the corresponding terrain and it adjusts the AWD accordingly... I like the simplicity of manual transfer case.

Sponsored

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
There are a lot of easily butt hurt fan boys in the Jeep community. The TJ was a great Jeep, and the OP was simply reminiscing. Some people liked the rough and rugged feel Jeep once had. Not sure why it hurts your feelings that the OP enjoyed the rugged feel Jeep had over today’s refined ride. Her opinion is nothing new and it can be said about any model of vehicle. Take Mustang’s, for example. Sure, today’s Mustang performs much much much better than the 1980’s models, but I’d take the unrefined 1980’s model any day over a new one. A 5.0 with way too much power is much more fun. Corners like crap, hard to launch, but light as hell. And as far as sound goes? Give me a push rod 5.0 with a lumpy cam, headers and flowmasters any day of the week over the sound of a new one. Make sense now? Not that big of a deal folks lighten up sheesh.

And yes you will get death wobble, for those thinking it’s been engineered out of the Wrangler.

Lou Bunn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
You know that commercial where people are turning into their parents? So I'm telling my daughter about my first car, a 1972 Z-28 with 4 speed, 4:10 posi-traction, headers, and wide tires and the accompanying air shocks. I did mention it had NO - AC, power steering, or any computer this or that. It was 780 Holley that was finicky when cold to start, crappy sealed beam bulbs that were useless when it rained. Oh it was cool back in the day but I sure as hell would hate to depend on it as my daily driver.

Robe81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Hmmm...I think sometimes Jeep people get a bit lost in reality when they compare different Jeep models. Before this Jeep, I drove a 1994 Ford Bronco XL (not 1 single option on this thing...). V8, Stick, Open Diff. That bronco...had more road manners than my brand new 2019 JLU manual. I personally love how it drives. You have to actually DRIVE it!!! If anything, it takes me back to nostalgic times where you were much more engaged.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
I find it funny that people are reluctant to take a $50k rig on the trials. Though I guess these probably aren't the folks who buy a $50k rig with another $15k of upgrades waiting in the garage before the rig even arrives. My Rubicon was $48k out the door. But what other off-road capable rigs are out there? They all end up costing with a few grand of this figure. Heck, even the Sport is as capable as most other off-road trims at a bargain price. I remember as a kid looking at a new car for $20k... and thought to myself "how do people afford new cars???" Most well equipped SUV's are pushing $40-$45k. That's the price of admission folks.

The JL is improved in every way, even the off-road-ability. Being named the SUV Of The Year probably turned some heads towards the Wrangler then ever before. I get that some may miss the older jeeps but join in the chorus of "why did you buy a JL then?". Maybe some are disenfranchised because more folks are enjoying Wranglers that aren't hard core jeepers. Buy what you like, love what you drive, and I don't give a rats a** what anyone else thinks of how a person spends their money.

When I first bought my Jeep I thought the "jeep community" was something special and unique. Being on this forum has made me question that presumption. Guess they are just as whiny and judgmental as everybody else.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
And these Denman Ground Hawg
upload_2019-5-3_12-24-31.jpeg

And my favorites~Goodyear Wrangler R/T
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ7-2631Lfv7wSQYyHc0iFGtzV3YpHdeCzId13cMIZKZlvFJH7Q.jpg
Another classic. Mickey Thompson offers these now, but I can't remember the original 1970s brand. Anyone recall?

minimag-700x700-q70.png

COSJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WK2, 2019 JLR?
Wrangler is still a huge compromise in terms of ride and comfort compared to crossover SUV's or even pickups. And it is interesting that all the nostalgia led OP to buying three four door models. I have nothing against unlimiteds, but if you are talking old school and nostalgia, something does not add up. OP obviously traded old school for practicality of a four door, but better engine is what spoiled it all?

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
I've had lotsa nostalgia, 27 of them from our first 1965 CJ5 (see side bar) to our '18 JLU! All models since '65 and by many manufacturers, great memories but you can have "nostalgia" I'll take my JLU!! I still have solid axles (nostalgia) but everything else if finally getting there!

You'll love it soon as in your others, have fun and Enjoy some of the great changes! Yes I had 2 JKU's, 2007 and 2002 loved them too, just the 8 speed auto transmission sends them to nostalgia land! lol

Go Jeep!!!
Sponsored