Non-power locks - spare key hiding spot

MacNobody

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
I traded my Gladiator for my 2 door JL over 6 months ago and it seems like every week I lock my keys in the Jeep.

I'm looking for a solution to hide a spare key because apparently I haven't learned my lesson yet...
Sponsored

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Use duct tape and tape the spare key to the outside of the driver's door, just below the lock cylinder.

Try the engine compartment for a good secure location.

Last edited:

OldJupiter

First Name
Old Jupiter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door JL Sport
Train yourself to use a carabiner clip. Unlock the door and clip. The best part is you have the push button start. I have had push button start cars since 2013 and I trained myself to do this, but then I bought a Camaro. I had to put the key ignition to start it which became so much more complicated clipping, unclipping, flipping, and starting. I hated unlocking the doors getting comfortable and then having to grab the keys again just to start the Camaro. Now with the Jeep even with manual doors I never have to grab the keys once I'm in.

I would also recommend a key organizer for your other keys. This keeps the noise down and minimizes the foot print overall. You can easily separate the keys to save weight at work/hiking/trekking.

I have a multi tool, my hood lock keys, and the key for my hitch with my Jeep key. They make a little bit of noise, but it reminds me that I have them on my person.

20211128_181211.jpg

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
I'd also vote for "engine compartment" as a great choice. That's unless you've got a Tazer JL Mini and you've enabled the hood alarm. HA!

Another idea? Protected up inside the front skid plate area. Come at your vehicle from the side, between your front bumper and your wheel well. You'll see a long horizontal metal tray running across the width of the vehicle (if not, crouch down some more... hopefully it's not just a Rubicon thing).

That might just be perfect place for it. Well, almost? Heat from the engine could be an issue, so insulate it well. Main advantages are that it's very well protected, it doesn't require getting up inside the hood, and it is a very uncommon hiding spot.

ALSO: You can keep the metal key door opener outside, but still hide your electronic keyfob somewhere clever inside the vehicle (perhaps behind the panel that's right in front of the driver's legs.. if it isn't too close). Just be sure to place your keyfob inside one of those RFID blocking key bags so that it doesn't start the vehicle for just anyone who enters.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
MacNobody

MacNobody

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
Thanks for the ideas, guys.
Train yourself to use a carabiner clip. Unlock the door and clip. The best part is you have the push button start. I have had push button start cars since 2013 and I trained myself to do this, but then I bought a Camaro. I had to put the key ignition to start it which became so much more complicated clipping, unclipping, flipping, and starting. I hated unlocking the doors getting comfortable and then having to grab the keys again just to start the Camaro. Now with the Jeep even with manual doors I never have to grab the keys once I'm in.

I would also recommend a key organizer for your other keys. This keeps the noise down and minimizes the foot print overall. You can easily separate the keys to save weight at work/hiking/trekking.

I have a multi tool, my hood lock keys, and the key for my hitch with my Jeep key. They make a little bit of noise, but it reminds me that I have them on my person.

Jeep Wrangler JL Non-power locks - spare key hiding spot 20211128_181211
Funny thing - I actually have it on a carabiner but constantly forget to clip it.

I'll work on building that habit LOL

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Best bet is the next time you lock your keys inside the Jeep simply walk 15 miles home while it’s snowing out, almost guaranteed that would be the last time you lock your keys in a vehicle👍
Sponsored