First Name
JDawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Punk'D Rubicon
Occupation
Semi-Retired
I need a second key. I dont want to pay $300. I found my 2018 JL spare key after trade in so I have that one. My question is can I simply have someone reprogram that fob for the 2019? I get the actual key portion would need to be recut but I'm not overly concerned about that now.
Sponsored

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
You cannot reprogram old key to your new jeep, mail it to whom you traded in vehicle.

New foab with already cut key is $117 + shipping. Programming via key Smith is $40-60

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
You cannot reprogram old key to your new jeep, mail it to whom you traded in vehicle.
I'm curious what makes you say that? As I understand it, the "key" is just an RF chip and it's serial number needs to programmed into the ECU to work with the vehicle. Did they change the RF chip/frequency between 2018 and 2019?

Usually the trade-in dealer just deducts the value of the key if you're missing one at trade-in. I have a Chevy Cruze key that I couldn't find the day I traded my Cruze in, and the dealership deducted $100 and that was it. I found it when I moved. :)

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I'm curious what makes you say that? As I understand it, the "key" is just an RF chip and it's serial number needs to programmed into the ECU to work with the vehicle. Did they change the RF chip/frequency between 2018 and 2019?

Usually the trade-in dealer just deducts the value of the key if you're missing one at trade-in. I have a Chevy Cruze key that I couldn't find the day I traded my Cruze in, and the dealership deducted $100 and that was it. I found it when I moved. :)
@AlgUSF

Over the last 3 years, there have been quite a few posts saying the JL / JT fob, once programmed to one JL / JT can't be programmed to another JL / JT Nothing definitive has ever been posted regarding this though.

Also mentioned.... is that the dealer needs to program a new JL /JT fob along with your new fob when you get it... Another words a dealer needs you to bring in your other fob so they can program at the same time.... Anyway, this has been said but then there have been posts where guys say the dealer programmed without the other fob there... Again, nothing definite about this either..

Another thing mentioned on the forum occasionally is that you can only have 2 fobs programmed to a JL / JT. For me this thought was debunked as dealership programmed a 3rd fob for me... Yes, I have 3 working fobs..

Also part numbers for 2018-2021 JL/JT fob are same so you can use a purchased a stock JL/JT fob with any year JL/JT.

Fob related:
Jeep Wrangler JL Spare Key qr-code

Sponsored

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic

@AlgUSF
Also mentioned.... is that the dealer needs to program a new JL /JT fob along with your new fob when you get it... Another words a dealer needs you to bring in your other fob so they can program at the same time.... Anyway, this has been said but then there have been posts where guys say the dealer programmed without the other fob there... Again, nothing definite about this either..
This is an interesting statement, I would figure that the dealer wouldn't need the old keys to program new keys. Think a repossession situation with an uncooperative debtor. Obviously from a security point of view, Chrysler probably holds a lot of the details close to the vest.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I misplaced my 2nd set. Purchased a dealer replacement according to my vin#. Dealer had to get a secured code from Chrysler to program. Later found my misplaced and have never checked if all three work. I'll do that and get back with update. BTW, my replacement was well over $300.

Update: Dealer only coded my new replacement key. I just checked my spare and original lost key and they work. I now have 3 sets.
Sponsored

Last edited: