(non) off-road shaming - why?

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
I'm not unfamiliar with riding in snow that's actually on the road and not the shoulder. ;) Thus my interest in your claim.

Call me back when you've earned that stripe, and we'll chat. :beer:

Suzuki snow.jpg
We can go back and forth with "who's been where" all day. Let's just say I have been riding for over 50 years on and off road. As I imagine you have too. Nice looking DR650!! Those bikes are bulletproof.

Here are a few more pics for fun:

Jeep Wrangler JL (non) off-road shaming - why? F4213D9D-FBF3-45AC-ACCB-ED22B9960861

Jeep Wrangler JL (non) off-road shaming - why? E254B50A-6E6B-406C-A3DF-F02A5680D3F6

Jeep Wrangler JL (non) off-road shaming - why? BE6EE84A-2482-4ACB-AB31-156FD5EB157B
Sponsored

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
I have to admit....our BMWs got way way more compliments. Haven't gotten but 2 on the Jeep, and one was from my 73 year old Dad who surprisingly likes it a lot! My mom didn't even have much to say about it.

The reason is because people love status. Or they hate yellow cars! But seriously, they do love status, and foreign cars convey status. A boring black BMW sedan is a status symbol. A bright yellow Jeep is just a jeep.
Its funny you mention the status thing. My Jeep is Orange, i get compliments regularly, like 3 or 4 times a week out in the wild. Most notably... day care and the grocery store. At both places i have lots of run ins with people with much more expensive vehicles, Mercedes, lexus, BMWs, Teslas, no vehicle owner surprises me anymore. A dude in a Tacoma pulled up next to me at a light and was like damn man that is badass, i love it! I think the color helps its get the compliments, but i think part of it is that i'm just enjoying it. Sometimes when you see people enjoying things, they become more appealing to others.

My wife has a yellow mini cooper s (2009). She/I still get compliments on it from the same group of people. Again another fun style vehicle that people are just interested in.

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
Bruh... I just want to go on record here that when I made that comment I, in no way, was thinking of you or the Asian community. I always keep my jokes about you above the waist to your facial features only. I would never hit that low.
Love,
Mike
What happens on Only Fans stays on Only Fansā€¦ :lipssealed::giggle:

I ain't here to argue 'bout his facial features
Just here to convert atheists into believers
Whatā€™s funny is that my family is Catholic thanks in large part to the work of Maryknoll out in Hong Kong! :angel:

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
(*Chile1 said:
fully agree with this. I have sitting in my garage an BMW X5M w/stage 2 Dinan and it rarely get's any attention. I take my Jeep everywhere and it's so much fun to drive and i'm constantly doing mods. I actually get way more complements on my Jeep than ever on my BMW.. go figure.
I have to admit....our BMWs got way way more compliments. Haven't gotten but 2 on the Jeep, and one was from my 73 year old Dad who surprisingly likes it a lot! My mom didn't even have much to say about it.

The reason is because people love status. Or they hate yellow cars! But seriously, they do love status, and foreign cars convey status. A boring black BMW sedan is a status symbol. A bright yellow Jeep is just a jeep. )

Easily explainable, Luxury vehicles belong to a different crowd.

The Jeep in its coolness and affordable prices ''before just a few years ago'' please people from red necks to teenagers to ''normal'' people. And these people don't hesitate to compliment a Jeep owner.

Higher end BMWs, Porsches and more exotics trigger more jealousy and besides teenagers that know cars, people are too proud to acknowledge these vehicles.....

Every time I drove the 911, I saw people point at my car from far, but force themselves to ignore me as I drive by them. In the Jeep, I get thumbs-up all the time.

View attachment 523526

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
1st gen Broncos are popular here too. With their values going thru the stratosphere, many are high end resto-mods that will never see dirt.
A few years ago, I spent a lot of time in, around and under an MGB, bringing it back up to proper nick. My efforts were rewarded with a Best in Class win at the first show I took it to that Spring. With my labors in mind, I do understand the compulsion to sometimes treat with kid gloves a vehicle that is the result of the owner's actual blood, sweat and tears.

And if I'm honest, I don't have much time for the guys who just buy their trophies. We've all seen them.

Playing the Iron Butt card? Oh, snap. :)

Sponsored

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I see no need to belittle someone that uses their Jeep differently than me. But, I'm a big boy and I can take some self righteous wind bag telling me how I should use mine. And, that I'm a big 'ol loser if I don't. But, they do need to be prepared for a serious rebuttal. :)

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I see no need to belittle someone that uses their Jeep differently than me. But, I'm a big boy and I can take some self righteous wind bag telling me how I should use mine. And, that I'm a big 'ol loser if I don't. But, they do need to be prepared for a serious rebuttal. :)
I can't even hear you because you don't drive a Rubicon.

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Easily explainable, Luxury vehicles belong to a different crowd.

The Jeep in its coolness and affordable prices ''before just a few years ago'' please people from red necks to teenagers to ''normal'' people. And these people don't hesitate to compliment a Jeep owner.

Higher end BMWs, Porsches and more exotics trigger more jealousy and besides teenagers that know cars, people are too proud to acknowledge these vehicles.....

Every time I drove the 911, I saw people point at my car from far, but force themselves to ignore me as I drive by them. In the Jeep, I get thumbs-up all the time.
I don't know...I get a very different experience.
I think we all have many people wave when driving in a Jeep but when parked or fueling up, I get many more people who want to come up and have an actual conversation when driving a sports car (exotic) or muscle car rather than the Jeep. Not sure if it is an image thing or just an interest thing.

That being said, I prefer to drive one of the jeeps, most of the time.

Same goes for motorcycles. I get 10 times more interest (conversations and compliments) with my Indian over my Harley. Harleys are much more popular here but it's the Indian that gets all of the attention. Go figure.

That's just my experience and California is "unique" when it comes to a lot of things...

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
I don't know...I get a very different experience.
I think we all have many people wave when driving in a Jeep but when parked or fueling up, I get many more people who want to come up and have an actual conversation when driving a sports car (exotic) or muscle car rather than the Jeep. Not sure if it is an image thing or just an interest thing.

That being said, I prefer to drive on of the jeeps that we own, most of the time.

Same goes for my motorcycles. I get 10 times more interest (conversations and compliments) with my Indian over my Harley. Harleys are much more popular here but it's the Indian that gets all of the attention. Go figure.

That's just my experience and California is "unique" when it comes to a lot of things...
I might live in a more snobbish place. As said, you are at a red light and see people point at you from stopped on-coming traffic as the light goes green, they drive by as if you werenā€™t there. While the kids in the back seat break their neck because the adults in the front seats were pointing you out seconds ago and tons of other such scenarios.šŸ¤£

True, that at the pump is a different story. Mature adults would come-by and ask questions and share that the 911 was a childhood dream etcā€¦.. And same for my modified Victory hammerā€¦ lots of attention too.

Last edited:

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I get 10 times more interest (conversations and compliments) with my Indian over my Harley. Harleys are much more popular here but it's the Indian that gets all of the attention. Go figure.

I think the attraction to the uncommon is a universal trait.

Motor Company bikes are as common as flies here during the Spring and Summer. If I park this next to even a dozen CVOs, though, it won't be the latter that attracts the most attention...even from the bar & shield owners themselves. :)

Jeep Wrangler JL (non) off-road shaming - why? Sheetz

Sponsored

PatriotBlue

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR (2.0L)
The reason is because people love status. Or they hate yellow cars! But seriously, they do love status, and foreign cars convey status. A boring black BMW sedan is a status symbol. A bright yellow Jeep is just a jeep.
I saw a hella Rubi in town yesterday and loved it. Had a ski rack, winch, and maybe a slight lift, but otherwise stock. Looked awesome!

To your other point, there's an old saying up around Boston - "all of the millionaires drive Range Rovers, all of the billionaires drive Hondas." After spending a ton of time with people from all walks of life, I find that this is actually pretty true (but substitute Subaru for Honda probably). It's pretty funny and refreshing. I have a "trust fund" friend who was left some $200M+, and the guy still drives his grandma's Ford Taurus, and two years ago insisted on doing a spark plug job himself because shops are too expensive! Too funny. Which is why I always chuckle when folks think BMWs or what not are status symbols. The marketing and advertising folks have really done their jobs well!

Anecdotally, I think the Wall Street Journal published an article not too long ago examining the most prevalent car brands among the wealthy, and Jeep was #1 I believe.

yotajeeper

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 1996 toyota4runner
Non Offroad shaming now thatā€™s just funny. Been wheeling moderately now for 3 years and I must say itā€™s been good times but Iā€™m getting burned out. Canā€™t get myself to spend anymore on this shit. And Iā€™ve spent quite a bit of cash.
Took the Jeep in for the steering box and a fuel line warranty and they tell me my tie rod ends are worn. With 25k miles šŸ˜…šŸ˜…. For a hardcore wheeler no problem whatā€™s another 300 in parts and a few hours of wrenching? But we all know it wonā€™t stop there. Drag link ends, pitman arm, control arms, ball joints, it never ends.
The non Offroad doesnā€™t worth about this shit so I donā€™t share them at all!

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
Non Offroad shaming now thatā€™s just funny. Been wheeling moderately now for 3 years and I must say itā€™s been good times but Iā€™m getting burned out. Canā€™t get myself to spend anymore on this shit. And Iā€™ve spent quite a bit of cash.
Took the Jeep in for the steering box and a fuel line warranty and they tell me my tie rod ends are worn. With 25k miles šŸ˜…šŸ˜…. For a hardcore wheeler no problem whatā€™s another 300 in parts and a few hours of wrenching? But we all know it wonā€™t stop there. Drag link ends, pitman arm, control arms, ball joints, it never ends.
The non Offroad doesnā€™t worth about this shit so I donā€™t share them at all!
How very true!! Anything on the water, raced, or used off road is a money pit for sure. It's not just limited to the Jeeps.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)

Not to the cognoscenti!

Last edited:

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Because some of us spend a lot of time/effort getting our Jeeps to be able to crawl over big boulders, only to see the blingy street Jeeps on 22" rims picking up all the hot girls, while we fight death wobble.
Sponsored