(non) off-road shaming - why?

CTMopar

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 20 Cherokee Trail Hawk & 21 JL Willys
Yep. My wife’s CX-5 is brilliant in the snow in town — very smart computers controlling clutch packs. Now, deep snow more closely resembles mud, and for that I prefer a Wrangler. But on the compacted, urban stuff? Modern AWD systems are exceptional.
My 08 R/T AWD Charger was by far the best on any snow that would not bottom it out. Once it got deeper I preferred my full sized SUVs like my Trail Dusters or Ramchargers then the full sized pick ups then the Dakotas.
Sponsored

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
OP here - never been offroad, but I started buying Jeeps because I lived in the Rockies (8,200') and needed to traverse 19' of snow per year. When I moved to AZ the snow was gone but I still appreciated my Wrangler.

Let me take a crack at the appeal to non-offroaders:
  • This is one of the only vehicles that defies demographics. I see drivers that are young/old, male/female, rich/poor, all ethnicities. My wife drives a Mini Cooper JCW and I hesitate to drive it because it's thought of as a chick car. I know...that's silly thinking.
  • The nice high vantage point to see over traffic - especially with lift/tires.
  • The ACE rock rails make mine absolutely door ding proof in parking lots.
  • I don't have to worry about scraping the nose on the parking spot wheel stop barriers.
  • The Jeep laughs at roadway irregularities that would swallow up normal vehicles
  • Surprisingly luxurious.
  • Unprecedented resale value. And...my Jeeps tend to sell for more BECAUSE they weren't off-roaded. Every buyer has said that - including those who intend to off-road it.
  • Made in America
  • The image it projects - looks cool
Don't forget open air feel. I really want another motorcycle, was eyeballing the Harley Roadglide or Indian Challenger, both nice baggers. The drivers nowadays just do not give me a good feeling, especially being in a college town. Coming home from work I saw a beautiful Honda Goldwing smeared all over the side of the road with police standing over the body. I am a good rider but people just don't seem to pay attention to the road. Even in my car I've been almost forced off the road by trucks whose driver was looking at their phone. I'd rather have the frame protection of the jeep but still have the freedoms of going topless and/or door-less.

I also miss being able to hop a curb for a good parking spot lol. I will be taking it offroading, but probably not full on rock crawling.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
also shaming is not just for the mall-crawler crowd. Shaming happens also to those of us who off-road. The deeper you get into the sport the more you'll see offroaders shaming each other. And it never ends.

I run a 2 door sport with rubi suspension and 33in M/Ts. I like to run trails that are difficult jeep trails. Trails that if you don't have lockers you really have to push and you will get stuck sometimes. You'll max out your suspension quite a bit, and will have to challenge yourself as a driver. These are trails that are generally well known, some are in the BOH system, and they're often refer to as "black diamond" trails. Well. I've been shamed a few times for not running big tires, or for not having a Rubicon. I have also been shamed by some people doing extreme rock-crawling who don't consider doing "black diamond" trails off-roading, or who believe these trails are "overrated". I mean if you are running 37 and above tires on huge lifts.... yeah.... of course they wont be as difficult to you... And what about the folk doing fire roads? they're basically mall crawlers to these people.

Then you'll also be shamed for using a spotter. For stacking rocks. For anything really. Nothing is ever good enough for these guys.

My point is. The shaming will always be there, no matter what you do. And I am sure even if you start taking the hardest lines in the planet, there will be people who will shame you because you have not rolled-over yet, or broken a hundred different parts.

People just like to shame others because they are insecure. It happens in every sport and hobby.

But there's always nice people. those who usually come to tell me that's cool I am keeping the Jeep simple and doing Jeep trails with it and having fun. Stay close to these kind of people, not the ones shaming others.

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Some will also shame you for spending $70,000 on a brand-new JLURXRXXX... to get it bashed up on the rocks!

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Some will also shame you for spending $70,000 on a brand-new JLURXRXXX... to get it bashed up on the rocks!
Thats just jealousy. Owners of old jeeps like to shame any JL owner for taking their JLs offroad.

Sponsored

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4...
Because some people are insecure and need to belittle others in order to feel big.
Preaching facts! I‘m a big believer that people should mind their own business. They can offer up commentary on what I or others do with our Jeeps when they start making the payments. You are so spot on.

Last edited:

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
Some people have the need to belittle others to make themselves feel better. I say ignore them and do what makes you happy. Its funny we all say 90 something percent of jeep owners dont do serious off-roading. That means a lot of us on here are serious mall crawlers!

When called a mall crawler just own it! There is 0 shame in it. Some want to explore the trails eventually. Some have no desire. Some have the capability just incase, some just want to get ducks ,wave at strangers and be apart of a community. Whatever your reason for having a Jeep, if you enjoy it dont let anyone take that fun away from you.
21 YEARS ago, I purchased my first brand new car, a 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport and we were visiting relatives. My "cousin" took interest in the jeep and he wanted to test drive it so we sat in it and started talking and he wanted to drive it badly. I gave him the keys and while he was popping the clutch chirping the tires on every gear he didn't forget to mention how he thought JEEPS were pieces of shit (He actually used the expression). Pissed me off.... the guy is your typical jealous type. He has a pathological need to be better than everyone around him. Needless to say, we have not talked much in 21 years! lol....

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
First it was high incline driveways... then curbs. I stayed on curbs for a while, being a girl in a mans jeep world and all. Once I got up the nerve to attempt a median- i did so with my new found curb confidence.... now there's no going back. Its median mayhem. Blocked turning lane? No problem! Need to pop a uturn??? Bump-de-bump it is!
21 years ago when I got my first Wrangler, I felt such an awesome feeling of achievement when I figured out that the Jeep can jump any normal curb with no issues. I couldn't do any of that in my Caprice! lol On the first Chicago snowstorm of the season, I kept driving from ally to ally looking for snow accumulation to drive the jeep through it. I drove slowly looking at those poor guys shoveling and digging their cars out of the snow. I must have had a massive grin on my face... God they probably hated my guts! Didn't care!!!! lol good memories!

Overwatch

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR, Sarge Green 392
One of the reasons I love the Jeep community iS so many people don't care at all about how your ride looks. I was taught by others in the community that as long as they bought a Jeep, be happy. Sure I smile a little when I see the super low stanced Jeep, but I never say anything. why take away their happy space?

Sponsored

WOwen

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 WB Hellcat, 2016 Wrangler, 2021 392 Wrangler
F'in Millennials ruin everything! Biden, changing names of sports teams, LGBTQ or whatever it is deserve awards for being special, Beyonce has talent and so much more! Sorry my finger turrets! Most people these days think they're always right and how they do it is the way it should be done no matter what it is. Everyone is a fricken Einstein! Want to lower your Jeep? Do it! Don't want to offroad, Don't. Jeep is about personalization. Make it yours to do with whatever you choose and those that disagree can take a flying F! In the nicest sense possible. Wouldn't want to offend anyone🙂

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I often wondered why people bought Jeeps that never intend to use it off road. Even though the JL is more refined, it still a solid axle cinder block on wheels. Cows are more aerodynamic, and riding lawnmowers have better steering.

There just seemed to be better SUV choices for creature comforts.
With that last sentence, you sorta addressed your wonderings. :)

The Jeep wasn't the only SUV-class vehicle that I shopped. One of the reasons I chose the Wrangler in general, and my Sport trim in particular, was that the latter was available at all. Every other brand and model that was even on the periphery of my decision process was feature-rich. That is to say, even the entry level trims had more standard baubles than I wanted, needed or was willing to pay for.

This isn't to say Wranglers are a screaming bargain -- they're not -- but they do provide the ability to say No (to various soft & hard parts) in equal proportion to saying Yes. In that regard, they stand virtually alone, and for that reason FCA got my purchase dollars.

And as a 2021 with the upgraded steel gearbox fitted at the factory, my JLU steers as sweetly as I'd like.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
This thread appears just days after I criticized this same type of attitude in another thread about why people who don't go off road have winches and such.

Friendly comradery is one thing, but there is definitely a somewhat disrespectful attitude out there towards less off road minded people. Entirely too much time and effort has been spent by them making it known to the whole world that they do not approve LOL.

This HUGE ego problem will not be resolved here though.

Edit:
BTW, For what it's worth, shaming has become an over used description of criticism. You cannot force shame onto another person that has done nothing wrong. Shame requires the person to know they did something wrong. The criticism in the spotlight here is more accurately called belittling. Moving on.

Last edited:

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
I cannot agree with anyone who would purchase a Jeep Wrangler for anything other than using it as a functioning off road tool.

To shame or make in fun of someone for their choice of having a very capable off road Jeep Wrangler and using it exclusively on the street is flat out wrong!! That's as bad as shaming a driver who likes rolling coal, the squid with a sport bike or Harley in shorts and a tee shirt or lifted to the sky truck with 42" mud tires dropping kids off at school and soccer games.

You get the idea. What I think is a senseless waste of what the intended use of a Wrangler is might be perfectly normal for someone else.

Who am I to question why someone would configure their Jeep Wrangler into an ill handling street machine that serves no purpose other than looking stupid in a parking lot all polished and shiny with an unused winch, HiLift jack and a set of MAXTRAX boards.

Hell, just take a look at this thread on a red wheel with phony bead locks that weighs in at over 30lbs for just the wheel:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ain-method-305-nv-red-limited-addition.49504/

For many it's a hot item. For me it makes the Jeep look like a pimp mobile from Atlanta.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I really want another motorcycle, was eyeballing the Harley Roadglide or Indian Challenger, both nice baggers. The drivers nowadays just do not give me a good feeling, especially being in a college town.
I gave up my motorcycle last year after exactly 50 years of riding without falling off on the street. I was worried that fate would catch up to me - especially when riding this. Hardest accelerating vehicle that I've ever driven/ridden. And the banshee wail it makes at full tilt boogie will shatter your soul.

Jeep Wrangler JL (non) off-road shaming - why? IMG_8277.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited: