Sponsored

No Collision warning system?

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460, '22 XR
Seems like this should have made it to the JL, or at least the top trims.

Hopefully this will be a standard feature in the next few model years.
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Seems like this should have made it to the JL, or at least the top trims.

Hopefully this will be a standard feature in the next few model years.
Ugh, no. Buy something else if you want more tech. crap. This is the most capable factory off-road vehicle ever built. I don’t want to pay for all your hopes and dreams to turn it into a suburban mall-crawling suv.

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Ugh, no. Buy something else if you want more tech. crap. This is the most capable factory off-road vehicle ever built. I don’t want to pay for all your hopes and dreams to turn it into a suburban mall-crawling suv.
So it can be an option then you don't have to pay for it if you don't want it.

OP
OP

Wazo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All motorcycles
Bossman sounds like he drives like a real bunghole.

What are you afraid of? What would emergency braking detract from your driving experience? Do you always keep six(+) car lengths between you and then next car when everyone is 60 down the busy hwy/interstate? 60mph isn't even realistic anymore. At 75 mph 7.5 car lengths would be sufficient, but I can tell you that I never see this. Collision avoidance is not just for you. It helps protect everyone around you, even if they DON'T have it. Sure YOU may love to pay attention 100% of the time because you are a perfect driver, but most people are not. And if it makes being on the road safer for everyone, I'm all for it. All it takes is glancing down at the GPS for half a second for something fatal to be in motion already.

I'd also hate for you or anyone to be rear ended at a stoplight and be thrust forward into the next car(s). Because that is a scenario that collision avoidance will definitely detect before you can even register wtf just happened. OR would be completely avoided if the jackass that just hit you had it to begin with.

What is so silly about something that saves lives? Do you have factual evidence to support your ridiculous claim that it makes drivers MORE inattentive? I have real evidence to support its adoption.

"According to the IIHS research, equipping vehicles with both warning and autobraking systems reduced the rate of rear-end crashes by 39 percent and rear end crashes with injuries by 42 percent. That's an overall reduction in crashes by 12 percent and a reduction in injury crashes by 15 percent."

"NHTSA projected that the ensuing acceleration of the rollout of automatic emergency braking would prevent an estimated 28,000 collisions and 12,000 injuries."

Man.. that is SO SILLY.

Yes, I too would argue if you aren't competent enough to drive a vehicle without any advanced safety monitoring systems doing most of the work for you, you shouldn't be driving at all. But alot of people on the road suck and that is the harsh reality. This seems like a no brainer. I just don't understand all of the hate, with no realistic reasons to oppose it, other than, "ELECTRONIC NANNIES ARE SCARY TO ME".

I do think the U.S. driving requirements for a license are too lax. I'd like to see something more akin to the Fins.

"In Finland, it takes a minimum of two years to obtain a full, unrestricted driving license. Learners are subjected to skid-pan sessions and night-driving courses. Difficult as it is to compare driving tests, Finland is, anecdotally at least, considered to have a world-class standard of driving."

No.

99% of U.S. auto manufactures have agreed to include automatic emergency braking systems as a standard feature on virtually all new cars sold in the U.S. by 2022. Like it or not it is happening.

The Sahara picture on page 1 is very likely a tester. Only other thing it could be is an auto high beam sensor.

In summary, y'all need to be more forward thinking. Resistance to change such as this with no basis or reasoning is worrisome. Again, I'd hate for anyone to be in a position where they'd look back and wish they had such a simple safety device.
Thanks. People are afraid of tech they haven't used. Sure you can back up without a camera and likely never hit anything but some have and hurt people backing up blind -- why? Equally would love a striped no carpet, no roof, no air, no stereo, zero tech model or at least option with steel wheels as most get pulled off first thing anyway and thats too easy to do. But for the rest of the world that drives on the road a few extra alerts are very welcome. Twice I have been thankful the cars I drive had an extra beep when a car slams there brakes and I got a split second more than I would have to react from another distraction. To those that think I cannot drive or don't pay attention just try driving motorcycles in any city and then let me know how you think I don't pay attention or cannot drive. Tech done right doesn't have to diminish your driving skills or playability to add what is now concidered basic current safety capabilities in even basic toyota civics.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Toyota makes a Civic now? Don't tell Honda!

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Tech done right doesn't have to diminish your driving skills or playability to add what is now concidered basic current safety capabilities in even basic toyota civics.
A Toyota Civic wouldn’t be a basic vehicle, that’s a hell of a hybrid. ;)

However the premise that tech doesn’t have to reduce ones driving abilities ignores the fact that it does lower the bar for many. Driving an automatic doesn’t necessarily mean you don’t understand the concept of gears in a transmission/vehicle, however it does mean fewer people are exposed to that fact as a requirement of operation. Same thing with many of the safety features, like blind-spot warning, where people will replace shoulder checks with yellow triangle check, instead of combining the two; or people not checking their entire surrounding when backing-up, instead just looking at the rear-cam, hence the reminder/warning in most backup-cams.
Adding seat-belts and airbags or ABS doesn’t have the same trade-off impact.

This shouldn’t dumb-down the driving populace, but inevitably it does.

It’s also another side of the automation discussion that people usually either embrace to allow them to do other things, or dilike because it further removes them from the procss/experience of driving, as seen/detailed in the Hammond video clip earlier.

As someone who has been on the receiving end of this inattentiveness, because I as a motorcycle rider do look far ahead and anticipate things while others don’t, I see the benefits, but I also acknowledge that the improvements in vehicle tech have not been paralleled by even partial improvements to driver training or stricter licensing requirements.

Regardless of the improvements in the auto industry, one thing will remain constant, every successive generation are the ‘worst drivers ever!’.

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
Thanks. People are afraid of tech they haven't used. Sure you can back up without a camera and likely never hit anything but some have and hurt people backing up blind -- why? Equally would love a striped no carpet, no roof, no air, no stereo, zero tech model or at least option with steel wheels as most get pulled off first thing anyway and thats too easy to do. But for the rest of the world that drives on the road a few extra alerts are very welcome. Twice I have been thankful the cars I drive had an extra beep when a car slams there brakes and I got a split second more than I would have to react from another distraction. To those that think I cannot drive or don't pay attention just try driving motorcycles in any city and then let me know how you think I don't pay attention or cannot drive. Tech done right doesn't have to diminish your driving skills or playability to add what is now concidered basic current safety capabilities in even basic toyota civics.
That time people afraid of driving without certain tech equipment kept calling other people afraid. ;)

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
AEB might have avoided this accident with my old beloved Rubi, but so would’ve driver attentiveness and proper driving technique.

574BD9C9-62AD-4741-8BAA-3F3D69021A04.jpeg

I avoided/missed the vehicle in front of me that lost control and jumped the median where it got stuck under the bridge right in front of me (yeah I didn’t have an ‘avoid’ option hemmed in on all sides) and with good full threshold braking (how many people know how to do that in the age of ABS?) I stopped just short of the passenger door by less than a foot, so the lighter Chevy behind me should’ve been able to stop better than the notoriously long Wrangler’s stopping distance had they been paying attention and providing proper spacing for their speed/skill level/attentiveness.

Basically no damage to Rubi as tyre absorbed and reflected much of the energy (2” scratch on bumper got me ~$1,000 from insurance, didn’t even bend the tyre carrier) but the Chevy that hit her was a complete write-off with over $10K in damages).

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460, '22 XR
Hate to break it to you, but most Wranglers are mall-crawlers already. ;) :cwl:

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
I love going to the mall! :swear:

Sponsored

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
All that electronic/car assistance shit started with auto.... Real drivers drive stick !!! Lol (just kidding, please no snowflakes...)

Ybohannon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2008
Along these lines, I would much like to see ACC (adaptive cruise control) offered on the JL.

Regular cruise control was nice back in the 70's, where highways were empty enough that you could set it to 55, and you could cruise along for hours before you had to deal with another vehicle up ahead. Today, highways are much more crowded, and those hours before you reached another vehicle are now down to just a brief few minutes.

We have ACC on our Charger. With it, yes, I have had it hit the brakes on me a couple of times. For example, I was exiting a highway, it hit the brakes a second or two sooner than I would have. No one in the car knew that other than me. It was a bit disconcerting, but certainly not the end-all problem others are making it out to be.
55? that's maybe why you never encountered anybody. they all went around you, haha:)

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Wranglers are priced the way they are, because of it's offroad CAPABILITIES, not their luxury amenities. You can easily purchase a large luxury SUV with Automatic Emergency Braking for 40k, but it will NEVER be as capable as a Wrangler. That along with supply & demand of them.

If you're not competent enough to drive a vehicle without a collision warning/mitigation system, then the Wrangler probably isn't the best vehicle for you.

My only beef with these thoughts are that they aren't strict enough.

If you're not competent enough to drive a vehicle without a collision warning/mitigation system, then driving a vehicle isn't the best for you. These devices--in the state of the art they in right now--are designed to supplement, not replace human predominantly controlled vehicle operation.

When it's the humans supplementing this tech, especially because gadgets are interfering with a driver's attention span, like fancy radios and phones, I take issue--and it's not because I'm anti-tech; far from it.

On the one hand, this tech is making incompetent drivers safer, on the other hand, this tech is making incompetent drivers more incompetent.

Don MacDonell

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Wrangler Sahara, 2008 Overland
If and when I trade up my Sahara it will be for another Sahara with a Collision Avoidance System. Otherwise I will not trade my low mileage Sahara in. If you have a problem with this, then do not select this option when you buy a Wrangler, or turn it off when you are driving. There are lots of arguments for not having this system that I respect, but denying someone else the right to have it is not reasonable.
Sponsored