No Collision warning system?

Wazo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All motorcycles
Never thought I would ever want any nanny systems. But after driving with one like simple backup cameras after a very long wait I just cannot buy another new car that doesn’t have Side air bags OK, Rear view camera OK, and forward collision warning system NO they decided to sell more Leather dressed up JKU with Street tires but left out one of the best street safety additions ever? Sorry understand many jeep fans don’t want these features and I am totally fine paying for an expensive option but to not offer it in a complete remodel when the next redesign might be in another 10 yrs is really disappointing and lost my purchase until an after market option works. Seems really nice otherwise how much could have it cost to offer as an option?? Hope I am wrong and I can order it and purchase one.
Sponsored

PhoenixM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GR86, 2023 Wrangler JLURD
Really? That is the deal breaker for you on a Wrangler. You know you won't have to worry about curbs, and I'm sure that you're accustomed to this feature in another vehicle, but I bet you'll overlook this omission and buy anyway.

OP
OP

Wazo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All motorcycles
Not the silly bumper beeping sensors but the advance forward collision driving adds. Only had one accident at 20 changing channel and took eyes off road. Not for off-roading which is maybe a hopeful 20% of use.

PhoenixM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GR86, 2023 Wrangler JLURD
Not the silly bumper beeping sensors but the advance forward collision driving adds. Only had one accident at 20 changing channel and took eyes off road. Not for off-roading which is maybe a hopeful 20% of use.
Oh, you're referring to collision avoidance where the brakes are applied..... Yeah, that is a bit of an advanced feature for the Wrangler, IMO.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Wazo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All motorcycles
If it where a stripped jeep for under $25k yes. But a $40k rig no. Don’t even want or need assisted braking or anything that takes over even a simple warning that a car has stopped fast in front really helps for that extra second warning. Again understand they are not doing it so lost point. Hoping someone knows if maybe they are offering or will soon?

Cal_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future JLU
Probably coming somewhere down the line. I don't see the current regulatory authorities not mandating this type of technology as a standard feature in the very near future.

MockBarbecue82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeeps
Yeah sorry. I don’t want my vehicle applying brakes without input from me.
Lol, so you'd rather slam into an object even harder? Do you even understand how collision avoidance works? It runs like like +-20 calculations a second to determine the absolute latest you can wait before apply the brakes, before a crash is imminent. It would never apply braking before you already shoulda been doing so.

opsfox21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2023 WL Overland
billet-silver-jl-wrangler-sahara-1-jpg.jpg

My theory is that’s what this Sahara is testing. No others have the area around the rear view mirror blacked out like that. If so, I’d expect it in after a year or two.

Cal_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future JLU
billet-silver-jl-wrangler-sahara-1-jpg.jpg

My theory is that’s what this Sahara is testing. No others have the area around the rear view mirror blacked out like that. If so, I’d expect it in after a year or two.
Good eye, because that's exactly what that sensor looks like it's for.

Sponsored

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Lol, so you'd rather slam into an object even harder? Do you even understand how collision avoidance works? It runs like like +-20 calculations a second to determine the absolute latest you can wait before apply the brakes, before a crash is imminent. It would never apply braking before you already shoulda been doing so.
I'd rather people actually pay attention to the road than to rely on electronics to brake. I love technology and I'm glad this isn't a feature on JLs (at least currently).

My boss has this on his new CRV and the only time he's had it apply the brakes is when he goes to pass someone, and he admits he gets close to the rear of the car before passing.

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
Along these lines, I would much like to see ACC (adaptive cruise control) offered on the JL.

Regular cruise control was nice back in the 70's, where highways were empty enough that you could set it to 55, and you could cruise along for hours before you had to deal with another vehicle up ahead. Today, highways are much more crowded, and those hours before you reached another vehicle are now down to just a brief few minutes.

We have ACC on our Charger. With it, yes, I have had it hit the brakes on me a couple of times. For example, I was exiting a highway, it hit the brakes a second or two sooner than I would have. No one in the car knew that other than me. It was a bit disconcerting, but certainly not the end-all problem others are making it out to be.

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
If it where a stripped jeep for under $25k yes. But a $40k rig no. Don’t even want or need assisted braking or anything that takes over even a simple warning that a car has stopped fast in front really helps for that extra second warning. Again understand they are not doing it so lost point. Hoping someone knows if maybe they are offering or will soon?
Wranglers are priced the way they are, because of it's offroad CAPABILITIES, not their luxury amenities. You can easily purchase a large luxury SUV with Automatic Emergency Braking for 40k, but it will NEVER be as capable as a Wrangler. That along with supply & demand of them.

If you're not competent enough to drive a vehicle without a collision warning/mitigation system, then the Wrangler probably isn't the best vehicle for you.

Revelation17

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 Corvette; '19 JLRU (Manual, Firecracker red)
Occupation
slave for "the man"
Vehicle Showcase
This is a dangerous road we're going down (pun not intended) with all these safety systems that do stuff for the driver. Too much dependence is going to be developed. My brother in law hauls for a trash company. Some lady backed up her fancy sensor-rich car out of her driveway and right into his garbage truck. She was pissed at him simply for being there and pissed that her car didn't prevent her from hitting him. This is going to be a transitional generation of idiots that will have no idea how to drive for themselves. Maybe they all long for self-driving cars and are trying to get there faster than they should. Don't get me started on that rubbish.

Personally, I don't want my Wrangler to do anything for me. Don't steer me back into my lane. Don't stop for me. Don't park for me. Sensors are fine to alert but if I'm going to drive I want to actually drive. I expect the same for the rest of the ass clowns on the road.

Pete

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
Personally, I don't want my Wrangler to do anything for me. Don't steer me back into my lane. Don't stop for me. Don't park for me. Sensors are fine to alert but if I'm going to drive I want to actually drive. I expect the same for the rest of the ass clowns on the road.
There is already an invention for that. The "off" button. ;)

In the future, everything will have an 'off' button, except apparently for holodecks on star ships. :giggle:

Though, I wouldn't mind a self parking car. A car where I can get out right at the door, in the pouring rain, and the car will go hunt down a parking space on its own. :involve:
Sponsored