Rubi04TJ

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
To follow up with this...

Jeep was at the dealer yesterday and I explained to them what happened. They pulled the codes and it was a entire page of errors stored on the computer all relating to system failures due to low voltage.

I explained that the dash lights and shiftier lights were staying on overnight and would not shut off. They could not find anything directly draining the battery other than those two. They applied a update to the dash, and only time will tell if this resolves it.

I would like to point out that my jeep has been charging at 14.1 volts for the entire hour ride this morning. I have it now on a trickle charger to get it up and monitor things.
Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT

Jeep was at the dealer yesterday and I explained to them what happened. They pulled the codes and it was a entire page of errors stored on the computer all relating to system failures due to low voltage.

I explained that the dash lights and shiftier lights were staying on overnight and would not shut off. They could not find anything directly draining the battery other than those two. They applied a update to the dash, and only time will tell if this resolves it.

I would like to point out that my jeep has been charging at 14.1 volts for the entire hour ride this morning. I have it now on a trickle charger to get it up and monitor things.
If the lights continue to stay on, you may have a bad relay (based on the one time something similar happened to me). Keep us posted.

jackpine

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F350, Caddy SRX
Well....... this just happened to me. Drained battery while towing 4 down behind RV. Got it jumped, all good except no climate system.

Is there an answer for this?

1idrod

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ritterhomesinc.com
Vehicle(s)
06 GMC 3/4 Diesel, 02 V-Rod
Occupation
Builder

The exact same thing happened to mine shortly after I got it. I don't drive it everyday so I didn't notice right away. I noticed my dash and shifter knob lights on one night and thought it was just on a delay. Then once my battery was dead one day it hit me about interiors being on. I fought this dead battery about 3 times then one day it all just started working again with no interior lights staying on. I jumped mine like I have for 35yrs too and it worked.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
This just happened to me. Shop doing lift killed the battery. Go to get it and climate control doesn’t work and the auto headlights don’t work. They stay on during daylight

I tried the solution of disconnecting positive and all the negatives. Did it for 10 minutes. No luck. Off to the dealer tomorrow I hope.

Sponsored

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
This just happened to me. Shop doing lift killed the battery. Go to get it and climate control doesn’t work and the auto headlights don’t work. They stay on during daylight

I tried the solution of disconnecting positive and all the negatives. Did it for 10 minutes. No luck. Off to the dealer tomorrow I hope.
Did you also disconnect the small ess battery?

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
It's positive to dead battery first....then to the vehicle with the good battery...unless your description is that the doner (donor?) is the dead vehicle and the "jump" vehicle is the one with the good battery...but that nomenclature sounds backwards.

I remember it by saying you're bringing the "dead back to life (live)"....so hook the positive to the dead one first, then back to the live one and then complete the circuit....you *can* ground on the dead battery with the negative cable to the negative post, but technically, you should connect to a metal ground somewhere else.
I can assure you it doesn't matter in the slightest what order you do it in. The only reason to do any kind of order is more for safety. By that I mean, if you hook the positives up first, you stop yourself from the situation where the positive and negative are connected to the live battery and the other two clamps touch and make a short. Yes, you should ground on the metal of the car, but the order of connecting does not matter.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh boy this is going to be fun. Small town dealer “never heard of this”. He did the whole oh yeah sounds like they messed it up. Probably won’t be covered under warranty.

All started with the battery dying at an Indy shop doing my lift. I took it to the dealer. Told them the battery died and they jump started it. He said “oh yeah now that you told me that it probably won’t be covered”.

Sure could use @JeepCares help here. Can’t imagine jump starting a Jeep could void a warranty no matter what the issue is. This dealer really just seems like they don’t k is what they are doing and try to get as much non warranty work as possible. Well they said to leave it and they will let me know.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Long time lurker, only recently joined.

Bought my JL in February and its been fairly uneventful until now. On Saturday I parked my jeep after a 45 minute drive, attempted to start it on Sunday less than 24 hours later. Dead as a door nail. Got some jumper cables and waited about 5 minutes to attempt to start it. Push the button and fired up, but everything was warning lights and disabled notifications.

I then let it run for about two hours and drove it 45 minutes and put it on a trickle charger overnight. Starts now just fine however since the jump start I have no climate control available at all.

Since it was jumped, none of the button controls work, none of the radio screen buttons work for climate control. Heated seats and steering wheel works. The "on" button the radio does nothing. I have shut the jeep off and back on many times, but this has not provided any luck.

One thing I have noticed is my dash lights and shifter lights do not turn off when the vehicle is parked and turned off, with or without the key near the jeep. I have gone out hours after turning it off and the lights remain on.

I have searched the forum and google but no luck there either.

I have called three dealerships in the area and none can get me in until next week.

my two concerns are;

1. No climate control (fuse?)
2. Whats draining the battery? (dash lights)

Climate off.jpeg

Just noticed thread, and don’t have time to read through it right now, but I experienced the EXACT same situation, including problem arising after a dead battery.

Dealer replaced my AC module, whatever that is, and all is well.

I’m growing ever more certain that the electronics in JLs are not ready for prime time.

Pretty sure I’m going to trade in before I go out of warranty.

Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I guess if your battery dies and you jump start it and the car computer needs reset, that is not under warranty. Had to pay $135 today to have my computer reset. Jeep is back to normal.

I have owned 25 cars in my life. From 2019’s to 1962’s. I have jumped dozens and dozens. Never has jumping a car created some electrical short that needed a computer reset and with 10k miles not covered under a warranty.

News flash, batteries die, cars need a jump.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
More context. Dealer blamed my “aftermarket” stuff the cause. I have off-road lights hooked up to FACTORY aux switch and another one used for my ARB.

I told him those have been done since about 500 miles with no issue. He replied they were not installed by the dealer and those wires to the battery could have caused the issue. I call BS.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L

My auto headlights also doesn’t work, did you ever find out what caused the problem?

tatarin

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB Mojito Sky One-Touch, 2015 Lexus RX350F-sport, 2005 Camry SE
Vehicle Showcase
Just noticed thread, and don’t have time to read through it right now, but I experienced the EXACT same situation, including problem arising after a dead battery.

Dealer replaced my AC module, whatever that is, and all is well.

I’m growing ever more certain that the electronics in JLs are not ready for prime time.

Pretty sure I’m going to trade in before I go out of warranty.
Having the same problem after Jeep’s battery was drained. Usually I keep it in the trickle charger but we left on vacation and I forgot to plug it in.

Took a day to charge it up, started, no climate controls working.

Took it to the dealer no appointment, the service manager did a quick scan and computer showed HVAC Module Inactive or Undetected. I’m sure they will just replace the module. But I’m wondering if I need a new Aux battery.

update: dealer replaced both batteries, disconnected/reconnected hvac module fixed the issue.

Last edited:

brownt333

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator
Regarding climate control does not function. The Kill 12v power option worked well for me. Fyi the vehicle had a low battery previous.
Sponsored