Sponsored

Newbie tire question

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I added the Rubicon Wheels/Tires, as well as the suspension, to my Sport S. I couldnt be more happy. Looks and rides even better. Oh, I didnt buy the Wrangler for gas mileage.
Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

2BFDC6CD-B3E9-42D5-A42B-B7CAD3E15A8A.jpeg
I added the Rubicon Wheels/Tires, as well as the suspension, to my Sport S. I couldnt be more happy. Looks and rides even better. Oh, I didnt buy the Wrangler for gas mileage.
Same here. It rides better with the rubi suspension.

For what AT is offering you could easily find some rubi wheels/tires without having to trade. One guy in OC had his rubi wheels/tires listed for $800. Ive seen less than as well.

Do you have the duratrac tires currently? Or the lamo street tires? The lamo street tires are light and way less rolling resistance which nets better mpg, but look super lame. Running a slightly more agressive tire is worth the mpg hit.

The all terrain tires will look better and still ride decent. If you dont plan to off road, maybe skip the ko2s. They have stiff sidewalks which makes them ride rougher than the sport all terrains. But not bad rougher. Just slightly. They are great tires and look great. Thats what im rocking as my daily driver tires. I need to let more air out so they drive smoother around town. If you go ride in a rubi at a dealer they probably have maxxed out psi in the tires which will make them ride rougher.

Of course, less psi means less mpg lol. Just ask obama lol.

Heres my sport on stock rubi wheels/tires with sport suspension. Any slight negatives was worth the much better look. My wife had zero complaints and loves how it looks. She was even happier when i put the rubi suspension on.

bronx2girl

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S 4-door
I was told by a family member who modifies Jeeps for a living that the BFG KO2’s are being discontinued. Goodrich upgrading due to new technology and research to the KM3 in the very near future (already saw advertising for it at a local 4 wheel shop). Nothing wrong with KO2, heard nothing but good things about them and was going to get them until I heard that. So I went with Toyo AT instead - didn’t want to need or have to replace a KO2 and they are no longer available...

Prozac

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I was told by a family member who modifies Jeeps for a living that the BFG KO2’s are being discontinued. Goodrich upgrading due to new technology and research to the KM3 in the very near future (already saw advertising for it at a local 4 wheel shop). Nothing wrong with KO2, heard nothing but good things about them and was going to get them until I heard that. So I went with Toyo AT instead - didn’t want to need or have to replace a KO2 and they are no longer available...

I'd question that, the KM3 is a different type of tire. I think it was around 2015 when the original KO was retired for the KO2. If anything, I would guess they would be phased out for a KO3, not the KM3, completely different.

bronx2girl

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S 4-door
I'd question that, the KM3 is a different type of tire. I think it was around 2015 when the original KO was retired for the KO2. If anything, I would guess they would be phased out for a KO3, not the KM3, completely different.
You are right in the fact that they are phasing out the KO2 and creating a hybrid type tire (according to the local 4 wheel shop) and evidently that is the new KM3. Haven’t heard anything about a KO3 however.
As the original member posted I too am a newbie to the Jeep community so I am always looking and asking questions. I’ll take any and all info that I can get.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
There might be some confusion…on my part as well.

The K02 is a A/T tire. The KM3 is M/T tire. They are different tires for different purposes. Currently the Rubicon is equipped with K02 and the MOAB is equipped with KM2. (thanks to JeepU4IA for pointing this out. I originally wrongly said the MOAB is equipped with KM3s)

There is another thread where someone mistakenly said the K02 was no longer the default tire on the Rubicon. Then someone else stated incorrectly the K02 was not the default Rubicon tire and was being replaced by a Falken branded M/T. Forum member Catdaddy63 works at a dealership and confirmed this not to be the case. I confirmed this also with Jeep. There is a no-cost tire option for Rubicon now. The default is still the BFG K02 A/T and this is the tire you get if you do not select the optional Falken M/T tire. So yes, you can choose, at no-cost, either a K02 A/T or a Falken M/T now. But the BFG is not being discontinued. There is just another free tire option if you order a Rubicon. Rubicon owners can choose a BFG K02 All Terrain OR a Falken Mud Terrain tire for free when they order.

Adding more confusion is the use of Falken branded tires instead of the K02 A/T on the new Gladiator pick-up trucks. They are using Falken branded tires for the pick up. This might be why there some more confusion.

Hopefully I am not confusing the matter even more? lol.

Last edited:

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
There might be some confusion?

The K02 is a A/T tire. The KM3 is M/T tire. They are different tires for different purposes. Currently the Rubicon is equipped with K02 and the MOAB is equipped with KM3.

There is another thread where someone mistakenly said the K02 was no longer the default tire on the Rubicon. Then someone else stated incorrectly the K02 was not the default Rubicon tire and was being replaced by a Falken branded M/T. Forum member Catdaddy63 works at a dealership and confirmed this not to be the case. I confirmed this also with Jeep. There is a no-cost tire option for Rubicon now. The default is still the BFG K02 A/T and this is the tire you get if you do not select the optional Falken M/T tire. So yes, you can choose, at no-cost, either a K02 A/T or a Falken M/T now. But the BFG is not being discontinued. There is just another free tire option if you order a Rubicon. Rubicon owners can choose a BFG K02 All Terrain OR a Falken Mud Terrain tire for free when they order.

Adding more confusion is the use of Falken branded tires instead of the K02 A/T on the new Gladiator pick-up trucks. They are using Falken branded tires for the pick up. This might be why there some more confusion.

The MOAB comes with BFG KM3 M/T tires installed. This might also be part of the misunderstanding.

Hopefully I am not confusing the matter even more? lol.
I believe the stock Moab tires are KM2s, not KM3s.

OP
OP
Smartin

Smartin

First Name
Stephanie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
I’d get a Prius. It’ll come with very fuel efficient tires.

Or, you could get a Corvette. Also, comes with tires that’ll give you good MPGs... assuming you can keep your foot out of it.
Knew I'd get a comment like this .... thanks for the advice

Peanut Butter

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL?
Knew I'd get a comment like this .... thanks for the advice
It’s all in good fun.

I think we all know there is no magic bean. Good luck on your decision. As others’ mentioned, Rubicon takeoffs are about the best deal. But, you didn’t ask for a deal. You want better MPGs and better ride quality. Since you’re not going to get bigger tires that do either, I think you should go with 35s (315/70). Might as well look cool while burning more gas.

Now, you never said you wanted bigger tires, just “upgraded tires.” If you don’t want bigger tires, maybe you should check here:
https://priuschat.com/forum/
They’ll be better qualified to answer questions about quality Sport S sized tires:)

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
The KO2 is not being discontinued. The KM3 was upgraded and modeled after the KO2. It’s a relatively new tire. It’s not going anywhere for many, many years.
Sponsored