Another Newbie Tire Question

Turkey

First Name
Andy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I have a 2018 4D Wrangler. I've just had a 2.5" Clayton Lift installed. I would like to go to a 35" tire. I've had great luck with Toyo's, both ATII's and RT's. I would like to have a set of 285/75R18's mounted on the stock wheels. However, I've been told I need to go to a wheel with more offset or use spacers. I've also been told if I go to a different wheel, I'd be better off to go with a 17" wheel. I think the recommendation for 17" wheels was to improve tire options and cost. Am I being told the truth? If I go to the 285/75R18's, do I need to go to an aftermarket wheel? Do I need to go to 17" wheel's? TIA

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
A 17” wheel gives you a lot more options, I was in the same boat your in back in early 2018 and sold off my factory 18‘s so I could go with a C rated tire, you can run 18’s but the the choices on tires that will provide you with a smooth ride, I went with BFG 35” KO2 “C” rated tires and have been pleased.

I do think you will have to run a lager offset but please don’t use spacers, just get the proper wheel offset.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
It is common for people to put 315/70R17 tires on stock wheels and have no issues on a Rubicon. Keep in mind those axles are 3/4" wider than those on a Sport or Sahara. However, the tires you are looking at are 15mm (over 1/2") narrower on each side of the tire. If you are following, this means the tire will be less than 1/4" closer to the suspension and body than those 315's on a Rubicon.

I think you'll be fine. Search this forum on that size tire on your model.

You might also take a look at the Gladiator Mojave wheel. If you got a set of those you'd pick up that 1/4" of extra clearance.

Last edited:

Advertisement

Freeland Jeep

Advertisement