robd1438

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU MOAB
Vehicle Showcase
First time Wrangler owner here and have been reading a ton on the forums but have a few direct questions I'm hoping to get some guidance on. Part of the challenge, at least for me, is I have a MOAB which I know is mostly Sahara with some Rubicon and most of the threads are about Rubicons with some Sahara lol.

I know I definitely want to swap out the factory KM2 tires. I keep seeing 3 models mentioned more than others; KO2's, Nitton Ridge Grapplers, and Milestar Patagonia's. I'd like an all-season tire that is good for commuting but also could be taken on the trails. I don't see myself doing too much climbing, more snow and mud. I also want to go up to 35's but keep my factory MOAB rims. I'm debating lift, but probably not right away. Exact questions below. Thanks in advance for the help!

- Can my stock MOAB have 35's on the stock rims without a lift or spacers?
- I know I need a tool like FlashCal or Tazer to adjust tire size, but is anything else needed (gearing, aiming headlights, etc.)?
- Of those tires, what is recommended for my scenario (commuting, snow, mud, trails)
- Would I need a new tailgate hinge?
- Would I need a brake light relocator?
- Lastly, if I were to throw a 2.5" lift on it, with all the above mentioned, what system is highly recommended?

Thanks a lot!
Sponsored

jruss

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport Unlimited
1. Yes 35’s will fit on your rims
2. Aim your headlights but it depends on the lift you get.
3. Bfg km2’s are the best tires I’ve owned, km3’s are supposedly good too. That said I don’t really ever deal with snow and typically don’t see tires that are good for mud and snow because those are different traction problems to deal with.
4. I would do something to reinforce or support the tailgate. Jl’s are quite old enough to have developed the tailgate issues that jk’s, tj’s and yjs did.
5. Literally anything but rough country or procomp (if procomp makes one yet). Those two were the worst on jk’s and tj’s, a procomp 2.5 on a yj or cj with es3000 shocks was surprisingly nice though. Rough country has yet to make a good product aside from light bar mounts.
Good luck!