Sponsored

Newbie considering 4xe.. help me decide.

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
Why is the 4Xe "High Altitude" base model more expensive than the 4Xe "Rubicon" base model? I thought the Rubicon was supposed to be the top of the line?
Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I know you said 5+ years, but to me a 4Xe with low miles is a great candidate for a lease.

They way the tax incentive works and the fact that the hybrid technology is likely to improve in the next 3-4 years makes leasing a good option.

DiscoJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 4xe
I agree with ThirtyOne above. IMO, you should lease 4xe even if you can purchase.
It's much safer in long run and guarantees that you will benefit from the federal tax credit.
And when it's time for the lease to end, you can just buy it out or just sell it off to dealer for net zero or even a bit of positive equity.

DiscoJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 4xe
Why is the 4Xe "High Altitude" base model more expensive than the 4Xe "Rubicon" base model? I thought the Rubicon was supposed to be the top of the line?
High Altitude comes standard with all the luxury goods that are optional on Rubicon trim.
Mainly the standard safety group, special leather seats that is different from Rubicon trim, and all the painted body parts including the front and rear bumper which is also exclusive to High Altitude trim.

Kfoo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Willys
I have two 2021 Wranglers in my driveway: a v6 MT (mine) and a 4xe.

I will echo the idea to lease it. You can get a pretty good lease price all things considered and you don't have to worry about how to qualify for the federal rebate (the leasor will apply it to reduce the monthly rate).

My jeep is currently running half doors and soft top. The 4xe has the SOT. The 4xe combo is way way way more refined than my jeep. It feels almost like a luxury vehicle inside, minus the ride.

I still prefer the stick shift, but I get giddy every time I enter the 4xe and hear nothing. The absurdity is just so awesome.

I highly suggest looking up locations near you with the j1772 charger. Lots of places are installing Tesla super chargers and EV Go fast chargers and the jeep can't use either of them. There's only one j1772 by me and while the charger is free, the mall isn't all that great so I don't really have a ton of public places nearby to charge. This may impact your decision.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I agree with ThirtyOne above. IMO, you should lease 4xe even if you can purchase.
It's much safer in long run and guarantees that you will benefit from the federal tax credit.
And when it's time for the lease to end, you can just buy it out or just sell it off to dealer for net zero or even a bit of positive equity.
Just need to remember the acquisition and buyout fee in the calculation. Rates pretty good when you consider your only paying interest on about 24% of the MSRP for the first 3 years.

stickling9

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe; 2013 vw gli; 2022 Maverick Hybrid
Occupation
engineer
this might help:
hey, saw two 4xe at a dealer at the ORIGINAL base price of 47800. I was wondering how they were so cheap MSRP and discovered that. Sooo, if anyone wants to buy one with 3K under at the starting point - here you go (Monmouth, IL)

1629464432940-png.png

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
this might help:
hey, saw two 4xe at a dealer at the ORIGINAL base price of 47800. I was wondering how they were so cheap MSRP and discovered that. Sooo, if anyone wants to buy one with 3K under at the starting point - here you go (Monmouth, IL)

Jeep Wrangler JL Newbie considering 4xe.. help me decide. 1629464432940-
Are they actually there?

Bmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2012 JK, 2011 WK2 5.7
We chose to buy ours for secondary, personal "fun/trip" use (still waiting for its production to begin, long story) for several reasons:
- We plan to drive it a lot more than 10,000 miles per year and will get the $7500 tax credit.
- Insurance costs are higher for leased vehicles (significant in my zip code)
- We plan to mod it and don't want the hassle during a lease turn-in (been there, for business)
- We're not financing and 70% of our OTD is from private sale of two old Jeeps
- Considering Wrangler values over time, after even 8yrs+ there's still great trade/sale value
- Pure EV and battery tech will NOT leapfrog in 3-6yrs, so no fear of buying, IMHO

Everyone has unique needs/cases, but an old financial investor friend of mine always said unless it's for a business-use case or a ridiculously stupid low lease offer, more often than not "leasing has all the disadvantages owning but NONE of the advantages of owning".

I'd say compare the total cost of ownership over time. For those whom cannot qualify for much of the $7500 credit and need/want a new Jeep, leasing can work out better (i.e. stupid low lease offer w/$7500 built in) at this particular time.

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKURHR
High Altitude comes standard with all the luxury goods that are optional on Rubicon trim.
Mainly the standard safety group, special leather seats that is different from Rubicon trim, and all the painted body parts including the front and rear bumper which is also exclusive to High Altitude trim.
Those seats are niiiice.

F75F08AB-70F2-40A0-8232-9C6AD00059DA.jpeg

Sponsored

Badfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR XR
Occupation
Retired fisherman
you can wire your 220 charging plug in the center of your garage if you wish for flexibility. Already being an EV owner I feel going to a hybrid is going backwards.

Only reason I would consider a hybrid is if the tax credit was beneficial. But I wouldn't get HOV access in AZ with it as opposed to full battery EV. One thing I don't like about the 4xe is you can't even save the battery power... you have to use it once you start driving so not like you can flip it on at the trailhead. Maybe later models will let you do this.

Ron93YJ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
One thing I don't like about the 4xe is you can't even save the battery power... you have to use it once you start driving so not like you can flip it on at the trailhead. Maybe later models will let you do this.
That's not totally true. It may use a couple percent, but with E-save on it saves the battery and relies mostly on the ICE. Even in E-save, If you're going down hill or coasting the engine will shut off but it shouldn't be using much battery at all.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
That's not totally true. It may use a couple percent, but with E-save on it saves the battery and relies mostly on the ICE. Even in E-save, If you're going down hill or coasting the engine will shut off but it shouldn't be using much battery at all.
I can increase charge in E-save, just have to select charge in the hybrid options on Uconnect.
Jeep Wrangler JL Newbie considering 4xe.. help me decide. 1629480787258

Ron93YJ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
I can increase charge in E-save, just have to select charge in the hybrid options on Uconnect.
Jeep Wrangler JL Newbie considering 4xe.. help me decide. 1629480787258
Correct, but I think he is saying that there isn't a way of saving the battery for the trail. E-save on 'battery save' alone should mostly do that.
Sponsored