First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting-Gray Wrangler JL Sport S, Victory Touring Cruiser, Kia Sorento
Occupation
Project Manaager
Had a black grille on my ‘17 JK Rubicon Recon and loved the look, so I went with the same grille as you did here. Looks excellent. I would have gone with the satin grille, but it still wasn’t available when I got this one.

F6248C0C-D454-4783-A747-9AD43BBFCBDA.jpeg
I assume that is the 68316767ac "primed" grille. I have not looked at the inside of mine yet, was it relatively simple to transfer over the mesh and all interior clips and hardware?
Sponsored

Cwelroy

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sahara
I assume that is the 68316767ac "primed" grille. I have not looked at the inside of mine yet, was it relatively simple to transfer over the mesh and all interior clips and hardware?
You’re correct. I painted it matte black with automotive paint. Everything transfers easily with the exception of the ugly silver inserts. This primed grille replaces a sport grille (no silver inserts). The satin grille has the inserts if somebody were to want to transfer those over.

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport JL
You’re correct. I painted it matte black with automotive paint. Everything transfers easily with the exception of the ugly silver inserts. This primed grille replaces a sport grille (no silver inserts). The satin grille has the inserts if somebody were to want to transfer those over.
Well I would prefer it to be matted like you have. It matches the decal look of matted. Your one of the few with matted grille. You were smart and did it yourself. Good move for sure! So that’s always a plus. They having nothing forJLs as far as front grille. I liked the mopar so I went for it. Satin is nice definitely but if it were available I’d be driving a matted grille :)

Sponsored

jloyva

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Project Manaager
Sorry .I understand but why not just paint the stock one?
For me it's because if I decide to go back to the stock body color grille I still have that option.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Sorry .I understand but why not just paint the stock one?
@Harleydz

As mentioned so you can go back to stock easily...

Another reason is if you buy a black grill, install it on your JL and you get chips on it (and you will) the spots that are chipped will reveal black ... you will have black chip holes lets say.. They will not be that apparent at all.

IF you paint a White Grill or a Sting Grill grill, and you get a chip you will be seeing White chip freckles or Sting Gray chip freckles, that in short order, will be very unsightly..

Also, the Mopar Grill Assembly and the Mopar Satin Black Grill are not just painted like your local body shop paints a car or a grill, etc.. The Mopar grill offerings (2) will be far less prone to chipping.... less chance of unsightly chips.

And... you paint or fool with the Grill that came with your JL and the finish warranty on that grill is history..

Harleydz

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Grand Cherokee Summit
@Harleydz

As mentioned so you can go back to stock easily...

Another reason is if you buy a black grill, install it on your JL and you get chips on it (and you will) the spots that are chipped will reveal black ... you will have black chip holes lets say.. They will not be that apparent at all.

IF you paint a White Grill or a Sting Grill grill, and you get a chip you will be seeing White chip freckles or Sting Gray chip freckles, that in short order, will be very unsightly..

Also, the Mopar Grill Assembly and the Mopar Satin Black Grill are not just painted like your local body shop paints a car or a grill, etc.. The Mopar grill offerings (2) will be far less prone to chipping.... less chance of unsightly chips.

And... you paint or fool with the Grill that came with your JL and the finish warranty on that grill is history..

Very clear now. Thanks.

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I'm totally using your Jeep for inspiration and having a hard time finding all the pic progression, you need a thread or album man!

Sponsored

raiken1

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S 2Dr
@Poseidon did you buy the extra trim pieces (Left, right and center pieces)? If so are they satin black as well or primed? Will the original lower trim pieces from a sport not fit on the mopar grill? They look like they would?

jloyva

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Project Manaager
@Poseidon did you buy the extra trim pieces (Left, right and center pieces)? If so are they satin black as well or primed? Will the original lower trim pieces from a sport not fit on the mopar grill? They look like they would?
I'll chime in here as I've researched this quite a bit. The trim on the Sport grille is part of the grille and not removable. It's all one molded piece as you can see when you zoom in on the attached picture. So @Poseidon had to buy replacement trim. And they would be satin black to match the grille.
JL02.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll chime in here as I've researched this quite a bit. The trim on the Sport grille is part of the grille and not removable. It's all one molded piece as you can see when you zoom in on the attached picture. So @Poseidon had to buy replacement trim. And they would be satin black to match the grille.
JL02.jpg
Yes he is right. It’s all one piece

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s all one piece.

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
JL02.jpg
The stock Sport grille is one molded piece (including trim). The stock Sahara and Rubicons have "multi-piece" grilles with separate trim pieces.

There are two replacement grilles available. A one-piece primed grille and the muli-piece satin grille. They are interchangeable. Sahara/Rubicon owners just need to buy the large main section of the multi-piece grill and they can use their existing trim pieces.
Sponsored