Mopar Satin Grille for Jeep Wrangler

swish77

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S 2-Door
Can anyone confirm that when you order the optional black satin Mopar grille on a new Jeep Wrangler Sport S (2-door or 4-door) whether the side molding pieces remain black or do they come painted the body color of the Jeep?

If you look at the attached photo from the Jeep website when building it, you see what I'm talking about: on the left is the Jeep with the optional Mopar grille and those black trim pieces just below and in front of the hood latch. On the right, is the Jeep with the body-matching grille and matching trim pieces.

Seems odd that those trim pieces would stay black if you ordered this optional grille with your factory build. (I realize these are computer-generated renditions while building a Jeep online, so I don't totally trust that every detail is accurate.) If you do the same build on the Rubion, the website shows that the trim pieces are the body color, unlike when you do it on the Sport.

There are many threads/posts about buying the grille separately after ordering the Jeep, and that you must also buy a 3-piece molding kit, which is black like the grille. However, what if you order it new during your factory build?
Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar Satin Grille for Jeep Wrangler Jeep Grille
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Can anyone confirm that when you order the optional black satin Mopar grille on a new Jeep Wrangler Sport S (2-door or 4-door) whether the side molding pieces remain black or do they come painted the body color of the Jeep?

If you look at the attached photo from the Jeep website when building it, you see what I'm talking about: on the left is the Jeep with the optional Mopar grille and those black trim pieces just below and in front of the hood latch. On the right, is the Jeep with the body-matching grille and matching trim pieces.

Seems odd that those trim pieces would stay black if you ordered this optional grille with your factory build. (I realize these are computer-generated renditions while building a Jeep online, so I don't totally trust that every detail is accurate.) If you do the same build on the Rubion, the website shows that the trim pieces are the body color, unlike when you do it on the Sport.

There are many threads/posts about buying the grille separately after ordering the Jeep, and that you must also buy a 3-piece molding kit, which is black like the grille. However, what if you order it new during your factory build?
Jeep Grille.jpg
@swish77

Not sure if I'm following you but....

The Rubi grill always comes with the grill and separate moldings. All colored to match.

The Sport comes with a grill that does not have separate moldings. It is a one piece grill.

SO, with that said, if you order a black satin grill for a Sport it is a one piece black satin grill.

OP
OP

swish77

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hmmmm .... I'm not sure that's the case. The Mopar satin grille (part # 82215114) when installed on the Sport requires three trim pieces that are sold separately, or as a kit from some vendors. For other models, such as the Rubicon, it's the same grille (with gray inserts), but you don't need the extra trim pieces because you can re-use the body-color molding from your existing grille, which you can't do for the Sport model for some reason.

This vendor points our the required extra pieces for the Sport: https://www.bamwholesaleparts.com/o...-new-with-inserts-oem-82215114-mopar-82215114

Here's another comparison photo from the Jeep build website showing the Sport with the optional grille on the left (and the black trim pieces), and the Rubicon on the right with the optional grille but the body-matching trim pieces. When you choose the optional grille for each model when doing a factory build, it appears this is how they'd arrive at your dealer. So odd.

I guess I'm just baffled as to why this is the case and why you can't order the same look when building a brand new Jeep Sport S. The body-matching trim pieces give the Jeep a better, finished look, IMHO.
Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar Satin Grille for Jeep Wrangler Jeep Grilles

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@swish77

Again, the stock SPORT, from the factory, comes with a one piece grill.

The RUBI, from the factory, comes with a grill and moldings.

Also, all the Mopar, Black Satin Grills that I have seen purchased from say a Jeep dealer ,parts dept., are a single grill that has no separate moldings.

Hmmmm, I am sure.... 8-)

OP
OP

swish77

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Strange. Seems to be conflicting info online. Here's the kit that's allegedly needed to install that optional Mopar grille on the Sport models.

https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku/jlgrillemolding.html

And there was a lot of discussion about the issue on this thread, mostly on the later pages.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/mopar-satin-black-grill.4988/

What this long thread didn't discuss is what happens on a factory Jeep order with the optional grille for the Sport. Are the side and bottom trim pieces black or body colored? The website indicates they're black.

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
As @Rhinebeck01 said, the Sport model comes with the one piece grill, either painted or satin black if you pick that option. The Sahara/Rubicon come with a multi piece grill and contrasting color trim rings. When you buy the Mopar Satin grill you transfer the painted pieces off your grill onto it.
Gregj

OP
OP

swish77

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great-looking Jeep! But you can't get that look on the Sport without painting the trim pieces, from what I've read.

OP
OP

swish77

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As @Rhinebeck01 said, the Sport model comes with the one piece grill, either painted or satin black if you pick that option. The Sahara/Rubicon come with a multi piece grill and contrasting color trim rings. When you buy the Mopar Satin grill you transfer the painted pieces off your grill onto it.
Gregj
Yes, this seems to be the case for the Sahara/Rubicon, but you cannot transfer the painted pieces from the grille on the Sport model. It's a different design. That's why you need the additional trim pieces when ordering the Mopar satin grille if you're putting it on the Sport.

And I assume that is why the photo on the Jeep build website looks like this when you check the box for the optional Mopar satin grille on the Sport. The molding is black and doesn't match the body color.
Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar Satin Grille for Jeep Wrangler yellow

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
The Sport grill doesn’t have the three trim pieces around the bottom or the trim rings around the slots and headlights. The Sport Satin Black grill is different than the Sahara/Rubicon Satin Black grill.
This is my old Sport grill.
785273D7-F0BB-4784-AA1F-488E9DABDEFE.jpeg

Note the lack of any trim rings.
This is an Overland/Sahara grill.
A5F85396-4DC6-4FE9-BF66-41EC9E10592C.jpeg

It’s not odd that the different trim levels have different grills.

Gregj

JLUSDIEM

First Name
Diem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RUBICON 4xe
wanting to get this piece, where is everyone getting theirs?

BernJLUR

First Name
Bern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue JLUR (on order), 2015 Anvil JKU, 1995 4.0L YJ
I had to change mine.

Willys 1 piece to the mopar 4 piece.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar Satin Grille for Jeep Wrangler bt.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar Satin Grille for Jeep Wrangler bt.JPG
That looks so much better. I think it’s the same with the Willys and Recon with the gloss grills. The Willys forces the black three outer trim pieces whereas the Recon provides the body matched outer pieces. I added a gloss black grill to my JLUR Ocean Blue and transferred the Ocean blue grill outer trim pieces to the black grill and I’m very happy. From what this thread states, the Sport grills do not have the three outer pieces... it’s all one piece? Hmm...

BCalvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys JLU, 1996 Porsche 993, 2007 Hummer H3
That looks so much better. I think it’s the same with the Willys and Recon with the gloss grills. The Willys forces the black three outer trim pieces whereas the Recon provides the body matched outer pieces. I added a gloss black grill to my JLUR Ocean Blue and transferred the Ocean blue grill outer trim pieces to the black grill and I’m very happy. From what this thread states, the Sport grills do not have the three outer pieces... it’s all one piece? Hmm...
Thanks, yes the sport grille and Willys grille has the three lower framed pieces molded into one.
Another big difference is the Mopar grille has the light and vent trim snapped in, you just can't tell because it is all the same color unlike the silver in the Sahara.

Another shot of the Mopar grille before I installed it. Those flat trim rings pop out if someone wanted to change them to silver Sahara.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar Satin Grille for Jeep Wrangler IMG_2544.JPG
Sponsored