OP
OP
OffDutyPRU

OffDutyPRU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
If the BCM has failed multiple time then the BCM is probably not the root cause. Might have a short somewhere that only shorts under the right conditions.
I was thinking the same thing. Any idea what type of shorts it could be?
Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Just put the original lighting back in, replace the BCM yourself, and stop trying to argue with the dealership, and the manufacturer of the lights.
There is nothing wrong with +100 Phillips or Sylvania Halogen bulbs. They work great, and dont cause electrical issues.

JeepinInIdaho

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 3500, 2021 Wrangler Unlimited Willys
OffDutyPRU, I'm empathetic, something others on the forum apparently could use a dose of. Anyway, I struggled with something similar with a FCA in my past. Know that the dealer is most likely working with you in good faith, that said they are also trying to get you to out of their shop, prolonged complex issues don't pay well. If you're not happy with the dealer go somewhere else, you'd be surprised how well one dealership service department treats you vs another. Also if you bought the Jeep there don't be afraid to send an email to the GM of the dealership, you'd also be surprised how well an honest and fact-based (read non-PO'd) complaint letter will get you. Also know that the dealer/mfg can't simply speculate that the aftermarket parts you installed on their product may have caused the problem you're experiencing. They have to prove it. I understand this issue was occurring prior to you installing the aftermarket lights, simply document the date, your documentation carries as much weight as theirs should this get ugly with FCA. Anyway I would argue with FCA over the fact that regardless what aftermarket parts you put on the vehicle, if they didn't adequately fuse the BCM they have an inherently defective product. Anyway, just my 2c. Good luck and stay persistent, if you cave and walk away FCA wins.

OP
OP
OffDutyPRU

OffDutyPRU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
OffDutyPRU, I'm empathetic, something others on the forum apparently could use a dose of. Anyway, I struggled with something similar with a FCA in my past. Know that the dealer is most likely working with you in good faith, that said they are also trying to get you to out of their shop, prolonged complex issues don't pay well. If you're not happy with the dealer go somewhere else, you'd be surprised how well one dealership service department treats you vs another. Also if you bought the Jeep there don't be afraid to send an email to the GM of the dealership, you'd also be surprised how well an honest and fact-based (read non-PO'd) complaint letter will get you. Also know that the dealer/mfg can't simply speculate that the aftermarket parts you installed on their product may have caused the problem you're experiencing. They have to prove it. I understand this issue was occurring prior to you installing the aftermarket lights, simply document the date, your documentation carries as much weight as theirs should this get ugly with FCA. Anyway I would argue with FCA over the fact that regardless what aftermarket parts you put on the vehicle, if they didn't adequately fuse the BCM they have an inherently defective product. Anyway, just my 2c. Good luck and stay persistent, if you cave and walk away FCA wins.
Thank you sir. I’ve spoken with FCA and they said their hands are tied behind their back and have to trust the technicians. I also sent a formal email to the operational manager. It’s Canada thanksgiving so I’ll be getting lots of phone calls and emails tomorrow. Have a good day sir.

humrk311

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited / 1999 BMW R1100S / 1998 BMW M3
I’m looking for help. I don’t think you’ve read the previous history to understand my frustration. Last month the same issue occurred and they blamed me for going through a car wash. Said it was water damage. (Couldn’t go through the car wash because my car was stuck beside the gas pump. I left the car coupon on my dashboard to use later.) they said “we notice the car wash coupon on your dash. That may have caused the water damage.” After they fixed it, my car did the same issue again five days later. Couldn’t start my car for 25 minutes but then it started and I decided not to leave my car there as it was labour day.

Two weeks ago I changed my headlights and left the original in the trunk. Few days ago my Jeep has the same issue again and just wouldn’t start so I had to get it towed. Now they are saying it was my headlight but I told them that the same thing happened last month and I had the original lights on.
Not certain my experience directly relates to your situation but it maybe of use..

I changed out my halogen headlights to MOPAR OEM LEDs.. (also the fogs and front turns).. the LED headlights came with instructions which included a very specific sequence of operations for bringing the vehicle back to life post installation.

It was drivable but the dash illuminated multiple warnings which I expected would be cured by the dealer sales code flash.. however the dealer immediately experienced difficulties and advised me the BCM was reporting “multiple shorts”..

My initial thought was “oh crap, I must have damaged some wires pushing the halo harness through the firewall grommet”.. after some discussion with the service writer I decided to approve troubleshooting.

An hour later they advised they hadn’t found anything and would need their senior technician to take over.. Again I agreed.. 20 minutes later they inform me the senior technician had found and fixed the issue.. when I inquired about the location of the issue they couldn’t give me a straight answer except that it wasn’t in close proximity to the firewall grommet..

In retrospect it seems most plausible that there never were any shorts; the problem was the first technician was insufficiently trained / experienced.

My point (sorry for rambling) is this.. the complexity of current vehicles has resulted in a dealership culture of “part changers”.. troubleshooting has become a lost art except for the rare individual who can think beyond and outside what the diagnostic computer output is spewing.

BCM flashing is incredibly sensitive to precise compliance with not only the sequence of operations but also the timeline of each step.

I’d try disconnecting the battery for at least 30 minutes and then carefully following the “wake up” sequence contained in the MOPAR LED Headlight kit.

Sponsored

OP
OP
OffDutyPRU

OffDutyPRU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Not certain my experience directly relates to your situation but it maybe of use..

I changed out my halogen headlights to MOPAR OEM LEDs.. (also the fogs and front turns).. the LED headlights came with instructions which included a very specific sequence of operations for bringing the vehicle back to life post installation.

It was drivable but the dash illuminated multiple warnings which I expected would be cured by the dealer sales code flash.. however the dealer immediately experienced difficulties and advised me the BCM was reporting “multiple shorts”..

My initial thought was “oh crap, I must have damaged some wires pushing the halo harness through the firewall grommet”.. after some discussion with the service writer I decided to approve troubleshooting.

An hour later they advised they hadn’t found anything and would need their senior technician to take over.. Again I agreed.. 20 minutes later they inform me the senior technician had found and fixed the issue.. when I inquired about the location of the issue they couldn’t give me a straight answer except that it wasn’t in close proximity to the firewall grommet..

In retrospect it seems most plausible that there never were any shorts; the problem was the first technician was insufficiently trained / experienced.

My point (sorry for rambling) is this.. the complexity of current vehicles has resulted in a dealership culture of “part changers”.. troubleshooting has become a lost art except for the rare individual who can think beyond and outside what the diagnostic computer output is spewing.

BCM flashing is incredibly sensitive to precise compliance with not only the sequence of operations but also the timeline of each step.

I’d try disconnecting the battery for at least 30 minutes and then carefully following the “wake up” sequence contained in the MOPAR LED Headlight kit.
Thank you sir, I really like the in depth answer as I am relating to it. I hope they have a senior more experience technician look at it. When they said it was my fault I advised that the same issue occurred after five days when they “fixed” it and I had original lights on. They paused, said he’ll get more people looking into it and then said “but I’m telling you we honestly believe it’s the LED lights.”

I hope they figure out the actual issue and actually fix it this time. I don’t want to dance, get lawyers involved, and do the whole waltz but I’m also not a fan of getting f’d in the ass and paying for it.

Resin Addict

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Moab, ‘22 HighTide, ‘59 Chevy Apache, ‘32 Ford
Occupation
Custom painter/freelance artist
So...after reading this thread, I’m curious.
I have a new (to me) ‘18 Sahara (12K miles and still 20+ months of warranty based on the in service date.
After doing research I was all ready to pull the trigger on a set of Oracle Oculus Bi-LED headlights, (Mine came without the Factory LED option) but this thread and question makes me nervous.
One of the main reasons I bought the Wrangler was that I had an ‘06 Hummer H3 that I was tired of it nickel and diming me, so I wanted something with Factory Warranty for at least another couple years, potentially many more if I bought the Jeep factory extended warranty.
However, after reading this, I don’t want to risk my warrantyby adding un-authorized non OEM parts.
Would I be risking my warranty?
I will add that my Jeep Dealership and service department is a small town dealership that seems much more customer service oriented than some peoples.
Thoughts?

OP
OP
OffDutyPRU

OffDutyPRU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
I have a new (to me) ‘18 Sahara (12K miles and still 20+ months of warranty based on the in service date.
After doing research I was all ready to pull the trigger on a set of Oracle Oculus Bi-LED headlights, (Mine came without the Factory LED option) but this thread and question makes me nervous.
One of the main reasons I bought the Wrangler was that I had an ‘06 Hummer H3 that I was tired of it nickel and diming me, so I wanted something with Factory Warranty for at least another couple years, potentially many more if I bought the Jeep factory extended warranty.
However, after reading this, I don’t want to risk my warrantyby adding un-authorized non OEM parts.
I will add that my Jeep Dealership and service department is a small town dealership that seems much more customer service oriented than some peoples.
Thoughts?
Hey brother,

Currently still dealing with them. They are standing by what they said and saying that it was my LED lights and therefore I am paying out of pocket. I spoke to my lawyer and we have a gameplan.

For you, I think it's best to talk to your dealership and get LED lights from them. Have them install it. Spend the money to stay away from the headache. If anything goes wrong you can shove it in their ass.

Do not do the same mistake as me and get extended warranty.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Thoughts?
Your factory warranty is only 36 months or 36k miles, whichever comes first. So depending on how much you drive, you could be out of warranty in a year and not the 20+ months you think you have.

Resin Addict

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Moab, ‘22 HighTide, ‘59 Chevy Apache, ‘32 Ford
Occupation
Custom painter/freelance artist
Your factory warranty is only 36 months or 36k miles, whichever comes first. So depending on how much you drive, you could be out of warranty in a year and not the 20+ months you think you have.
I drive about 5K miles a year, so no issue

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

However, after reading this, I don’t want to risk my warranty by adding un-authorized non OEM parts.
Thoughts?
Do you know how a vehicle warranty works?

You can add aftermarket parts to the vehicle. There's nothing that says they are "un-authorized". Your warranty cannot be voided simply for doing that.

Go through all the build threads and you can see what others have added to their vehicles.

There are tons of people on here, including me, who are running Oracle headlights without issue.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Honestly go with dealership or wait until after warranty and get it third party.
The Bs I’m dealing with I wouldn’t wish on other people.
Your situation is unique. Adding aftermarket headlights will not void a warranty.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

It did with me. They said it damaged the BCM.
Again, your particular situation being unique.

Your dealership is taking a hard stance because they simply refuse to fix your particular issue. Many people on this forum, and others, have installed aftermarket headlights (and other parts/items) without issue.
Sponsored