Sponsored

New Headlights Damage BCM?

OffDutyPRU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Has anyone ever heard off new installed LED headlights causing a short circuit to the body control module damaging it to the point it needs a full replacement?
Other mechanics and my cousin who’s an avionics engineer for the Canadian forces all said the dealership is bsing me and avoiding to fix under warranty...
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Yes it’s totally possible. Would have to be a serious failure of the LED headlights though to draw enough current to crap out the BCM before blowing a fuse.

OP
OP
OffDutyPRU

OffDutyPRU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
I'm also an Avionics Engineer and I agree.

The only time it could possibly cause this issue is if the light is shorted or faulty on the inside, which can be proven on a bench with a power supply. OR if the battery wasn't disconnected during installation and the harness itself was shorted somehow. Bent pins, possibly.

They're avoiding the repair under warranty. I would get a-hold of the MFG of the light and talk to them next.

Can you provide more info?

Part number of the light you installed?
Copy of the invoice from the dealership to see what they wrote down? I'm curious if they called out the connector or module by it's nomenclature or reference designation.

Also... check your fuses.

FYI - I Support the Canadian Air Force regularly with their fleet of aircraft. Good group of guys up there.
Hey Mitchel. Please look at my previous post

https://www.wranglerforum.com/threads/please-assist.2413426/#post-34897904

My Jeep is still in the shop. I’ve contacted the manufacture of the lights and they said “Our lights pass the strict QC test and make sure it can be work before shipping, sorry that we never got the feedback like this before.”

I have contacted a lawyer. The previous post I linked shows the history and bs I’ve been dealing with.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Hey Mitchel. Please look at my previous post

https://www.wranglerforum.com/threads/please-assist.2413426/#post-34897904

My Jeep is still in the shop. I’ve contacted the manufacture of the lights and they said “Our lights pass the strict QC test and make sure it can be work before shipping, sorry that we never got the feedback like this before.”

I have contacted a lawyer. The previous post I linked shows the history and bs I’ve been dealing with.
Oh, so you’re just going to be like that then. I’m sure you’re loads of fun to be around and the robotic Chinese reply you got about your lights is 100% legit.

OP
OP
OffDutyPRU

OffDutyPRU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler

Attachments

Sponsored

OP
OP
OffDutyPRU

OffDutyPRU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Oh, so you’re just going to be like that then. I’m sure you’re loads of fun to be around and the robotic Chinese reply you got about your lights is 100% legit.
I’m looking for help. I don’t think you’ve read the previous history to understand my frustration. Last month the same issue occurred and they blamed me for going through a car wash. Said it was water damage. (Couldn’t go through the car wash because my car was stuck beside the gas pump. I left the car coupon on my dashboard to use later.) they said “we notice the car wash coupon on your dash. That may have caused the water damage.” After they fixed it, my car did the same issue again five days later. Couldn’t start my car for 25 minutes but then it started and I decided not to leave my car there as it was labour day.

Two weeks ago I changed my headlights and left the original in the trunk. Few days ago my Jeep has the same issue again and just wouldn’t start so I had to get it towed. Now they are saying it was my headlight but I told them that the same thing happened last month and I had the original lights on.

OP
OP
OffDutyPRU

OffDutyPRU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Why not just reinstall the original lights and take it to a different dealer? Seems the most obvious and easiest route.
Can’t because my car doesn’t turn on. It’s the same issue but the first time they said it was water damage.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I’m looking for help. I don’t think you’ve read the previous history to understand my frustration. Last month the same issue occurred and they blamed me for going through a car wash. Said it was water damage. (Couldn’t go through the car wash because my car was stuck beside the gas pump. I left the car coupon on my dashboard to use later.) they said “we notice the car wash coupon on your dash. That may have caused the water damage.” After they fixed it, my car did the same issue again five days later. Couldn’t start my car for 25 minutes but then it started and I decided not to leave my car there as it was labour day.

Two weeks ago I changed my headlights and left the original in the trunk. Few days ago my Jeep has the same issue again and just wouldn’t start so I had to get it towed. Now they are saying it was my headlight but I told them that the same thing happened last month and I had the original lights on.
Yes it is accurate what the dealer told you. You can request a Jeep engineer check your vehicle and if it is deemed that you voided the warranty by placing a non Mopar item in your Mopar vehicle, and this particular item caused the issue, then you will be responsible for the time and money of the engineer. And you can't just put in the old item, because the computer is smarter than you and has already recorded it in the memory. :like:

Sponsored

OP
OP
OffDutyPRU

OffDutyPRU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Yes it is accurate what the dealer told you. You can request a Jeep engineer check your vehicle and if it is deemed that you voided the warranty by placing a non Mopar item in your Mopar vehicle, and this particular item caused the issue, then you will be responsible for the time and money of the engineer. And you can't just put in the old item, because the computer is smarter than you and has already recorded it in the memory. :like:
I understand but the first time last month they said it was water damaged and replaced the BCM. Few days later (with the original headlights) it occurred again but I was able to start the car after 25 minutes.

recently the car wouldn’t start, I had new lights installed, everything showed the same error as last month.
I feel that there an actual problem that they aren’t fixing.... and that replacing the whole BCM is just an easier fix for them then find a diagnostic that’ll fix everything.

OP
OP
OffDutyPRU

OffDutyPRU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Would the computer show a time stamp that my headlight was installed two weeks ago? So it would show that I had the original lights installed last month when the same error occurred? If so then I’m in a good spot.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Would the computer show a time stamp that my headlight was installed two weeks ago? So it would show that I had the original lights installed last month when the same error occurred? If so then I’m in a good spot.
My assumption is yes, but I really don't know. I'm just parroting what my brother told me. He works for a Chevy dealership, that this same thing happened after a guy who put some Chinese knock off LEDs into his $85000 truck. The engineer came down and dismantled everything, and that was the conclusion. So the guy now pays for the repair and the engineers time.

OP
OP
OffDutyPRU

OffDutyPRU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
My assumption is yes, but I really don't know. I'm just parroting what my brother told me. He works for a Chevy dealership, that this same thing happened after a guy who put some Chinese knock off LEDs into his $85000 truck. The engineer came down and dismantled everything, and that was the conclusion. So the guy now pays for the repair and the engineers time.
I hope it’s tracked timing because when I asked them nicely “last time it happened the same thing” and they were rude and yelled “listen man I don’t know when you installed your lights” and I told them that I sent them an email when the Jeep wouldn’t start and the email shows a picture and video of the car not starting and the original lights was still in.
Anyways, sorry for wasting your time bro. Just annoyed that this is the third time and every time it’s a different excuse trying to avoid warranty.

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
Really sorry to read this, man. Unfortunately the dealership may try to BS you and say that the Cree headlamps you installed voided the warranty and make you pay. Things like these are the reason why I intend to keep my 2020 JLUR bone stock until the warranty expires in the next 2.5 years. At the end of the day, dealers are slimy and will look for excuses.

as a rule of thumb I would usually avoid installing any lighting equipment that says “Made in China”, “Made in Taiwan” or “Made in India”. They cut way too many corners for the sake of cost in all three countries. I believe Cree makes almost everything in China.
Sponsored