mreloc

First Name
ME
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Altitude; VWGTI
Sorry for the delayed update.

Got it back on Thursday the 19th... 57 days after I dropped it off.

New problems, first gear is impossible unless you start from 2nd... ac doesn't work... and they marked up my passenger door, tiny scratch on the fender, and scratched the hood.

Getting into 1st seems to be connected to the shift ring that you pull up on. I bet it's just misaligned. The ac probably just wasn't connected properly. The scratches they said they'll take care of them.

I'll have to take it back the first of the new year.

More info to follow...
Hi - Which dealer are you using? I'm in LA also..
Sponsored

OP
OP
Shantz

Shantz

First Name
Shantz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sport S
Occupation
Producer
I just can't get a break!

When I got the Jeep back in December, the manual shift wouldn't go into 1st gear without a fight. They ruined the paint on the passenger door, scratched the hood and fender. They told me to drive it for a few weeks to see if it would loosen up on it's own. During that time I noticed the A/C wasn't working. Made an appointment and took it back in Jan 13th. They had it for two more weeks, fixed the cable shift, said something about 3rd gear was off and fixed the A/C. They buffed the paint, and burned it to the primer, gave it back without mentioning they fucked up the paint.

Made another appointment for the following week to get it painted, while driving that week a rock hit the window and shattered the glass. (You can not make this shit up) Took it in to get painted and replace the glass Feb 4th got it back Feb 7th. Still has the scratch on the hood and fender.

Driving to Big Bear yesterday, on the 210 Freeway one mile from the 330, the ETC light comes on and the coolant temperature is glowing red, with no temperature reading, oil pressure was at 70psi. Before I could get to the next exit, the engine shuts down, and a small puff of white smoke comes out of the engine. Smells like coolant and electrical burning. Look under the Jeep, and the entire bottom is covered in coolant, all the way to the rear axle.

They towed it 70 miles back to the dealership. They have it now... we'll see what it is this time.

I'm going to look into the lemon law and start the buyback process. I'm beyond pissed off right now. It's gotten to the point of comical. I have owned the Jeep for one year(bought it Feb 10, 2019), it was in the shop for just over 3 months of that time.

hoss75

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport
Wow.. Man, some serious demons got into that machine.. I think I'd be demanding a new Jeep at this point. How are California's Lemon Laws?

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Wow.. Man, some serious demons got into that machine.. I think I'd be demanding a new Jeep at this point. How are California's Lemon Laws?
Yeah, that Jeep needs a meteor to fall on it at this point - it's seriously cursed. Good luck to the OP, I can't imagine I'd be nearly as civil in my postings if it was me.

OP
OP
Shantz

Shantz

First Name
Shantz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sport S
Occupation
Producer
The law seems pretty decent... looking more into it now.

Sponsored

Leisure Freak

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door Sport, 1981 Toyota SR5 Convertible PU, 2002 Chevy Tracker, 2015 Impala, 90 Civic,
It would be hard for me to ever trust a Jeep that I had experienced so much trouble with. I hope the lemon law covers you after this level of BS problems. With all the waiting without a vehicle that YOU paid for I would insist on some serious upgrades on a replacement Jeep.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
It would be hard for me to ever trust a Jeep that I had experienced so much trouble with. I hope the lemon law covers you after this level of BS problems. With all the waiting without a vehicle that YOU paid for I would insist on some serious upgrades on a replacement Jeep.

Every car company deals with Buy-Backs differently. Lemon Law Buy-Back is regulated differently in EVERY State. I noticed the OP bought USED but lives in CA. CA looks like it has favorable consumer laws so OP might be in good shape. They are very lucky because CA Lemon Law covers a second owner of a used car. In many States Lemon Law only applies to the original owner.

They probably won't offer upgrades on a replacement. Any upgrades or options on the replacement usually has to be paid out of pocket at MSRP. For example, OP's original JL had a MSRP of say $34,000. And he wants a replacement Willys that has a MSRP of $40,000. He would usually have to pay the difference of $6000 plus the difference in sales tax. Again, it's different for every State.

They probably will try offering other options before full replacement.

My guess is they will offer one of the following...
A. A couple of months car payment.
B. A free extended warranty.
C. Finally a MSRP to MSRP replacement minus a very reasonable fee for miles driven.

I would DEMAND option "C" if I were the OP.

Last edited:

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

When I got the Jeep back in December, the manual shift wouldn't go into 1st gear without a fight. They ruined the paint on the passenger door, scratched the hood and fender. They told me to drive it for a few weeks to see if it would loosen up on it's own. During that time I noticed the A/C wasn't working. Made an appointment and took it back in Jan 13th. They had it for two more weeks, fixed the cable shift, said something about 3rd gear was off and fixed the A/C. They buffed the paint, and burned it to the primer, gave it back without mentioning they fucked up the paint.

Made another appointment for the following week to get it painted, while driving that week a rock hit the window and shattered the glass. (You can not make this shit up) Took it in to get painted and replace the glass Feb 4th got it back Feb 7th. Still has the scratch on the hood and fender.

Driving to Big Bear yesterday, on the 210 Freeway one mile from the 330, the ETC light comes on and the coolant temperature is glowing red, with no temperature reading, oil pressure was at 70psi. Before I could get to the next exit, the engine shuts down, and a small puff of white smoke comes out of the engine. Smells like coolant and electrical burning. Look under the Jeep, and the entire bottom is covered in coolant, all the way to the rear axle.

They towed it 70 miles back to the dealership. They have it now... we'll see what it is this time.

I'm going to look into the lemon law and start the buyback process. I'm beyond pissed off right now. It's gotten to the point of comical. I have owned the Jeep for one year(bought it Feb 10, 2019), it was in the shop for just over 3 months of that time.
Sounds like your situation was caused by both initial Quality Control at the factory and dealer incompetence. Under your circumstances I do not see how FCA cannot offer a replacement. Hopefully they offer a replacement asap. You might be required to sign a non disclosure but keep us updated if you can. Good Luck with this.

OP
OP
Shantz

Shantz

First Name
Shantz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sport S
Occupation
Producer
They probably will try offering other options before full replacement.

My guess is they will offer one of the following...
A. A couple of months car payment.
B. A free extended warranty.
C. Finally a MSRP to MSRP replacement minus a very reasonable fee for miles driven.

I would DEMAND option "C" if I were the OP.
I'm worried about the lift I just had installed.(not even 2 weeks ago) I was positive I was done with all the repairs. I really don't want a buyback, I just want the Jeep fixed.

Do they have to pay to swap parts over to the new Jeep? I'm I out that money? Just speaking out loud... not expecting you to answer these questions.

I'm pretty sure their mechanic is going to get fired for complete incompetence. I'm positive they destroyed the engine when they put it back together. You would think the shop manager would personally inspect the vehicle before the dealer signed off on it the third time.

I'm going to call the state lemon law people on Tuesday... I should have a better understanding of where I stand after that.

Thank you guys for the input. Fingers crossed! I'll keep you posted of the goings on.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm worried about the lift I just had installed.(not even 2 weeks ago) I was positive I was done with all the repairs. I really don't want a buyback, I just want the Jeep fixed.

Do they have to pay to swap parts over to the new Jeep? I'm I out that money? Just speaking out loud... not expecting you to answer these questions.

I'm pretty sure their mechanic is going to get fired for complete incompetence. I'm positive they destroyed the engine when they put it back together. You would think the shop manager would personally inspect the vehicle before the dealer signed off on it the third time.

I'm going to call the state lemon law people on Tuesday... I should have a better understanding of where I stand after that.

Thank you guys for the input. Fingers crossed! I'll keep you posted of the goings on.
Honestly I would fight for a buy-back. Too much has gone wrong with your Wrangler. Too much of a risk for more problems in the future. The last thing you need to for more problems to surface after the warranty expires.

You need to do some research. Lemon Laws are different for every State. Some States like WI allow for parts and labor credit for any extra add-ons you installed. Stuff like your lift, wheels, paint protection film, tint, bumpers, rock rails, etc. In WI those add-ons are reimbursed as long as you have a receipt. Check your States Lemon Laws.

Again, I would strongly recommend a buy-back.

Good Luck.

Sponsored

Jimmy_jak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I say this half in jest and half in truth. If they offered a straight one for one swap, I'd tell the manager I need two lifts and 5 hours.

I'd grab my boys, our tools, write an ops plan, get those jeeps in the air and go to town swapping all my stuff. Bumpers, winch, lift, wheels and tires.

Last edited:

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

Hey, Shantz. I have located your private message. To avoid any missed messages, please continue to work with me there.

Kate
JeepCares

OP
OP
Shantz

Shantz

First Name
Shantz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sport S
Occupation
Producer
Well, just got the word. They said the hose clamp blew off, causing a catastrophic loss of coolant. Need another new engine.

I really just can't believe it, I'm beyond words.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Well, just got the word. They said the hose clamp blew off, causing a catastrophic loss of coolant. Need another new engine.

I really just can't believe it, I'm beyond words.
Wait, when you say "another new engine" do you mean they need to replace the new (2nd) engine with a 3rd one? Because a coolant clamp blew off? While there's always a chance a clamp could be defective it seems much more likely a tech improperly secured it, but even so how does a coolant hose blowing off lead to engine failure unless they'd walked away from it and left it running? Dude I really hope for your sake you find that you're eligible for that lemon law replacement or FCA and the dealer decide to cut bait and provide you with a new vehicle. I'd have less than zero confidence in that dealership to replace a cigarette lighter at this point let alone an engine. Fingers crossed that the best works out for you, you have the patience of Job.

OP
OP
Shantz

Shantz

First Name
Shantz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sport S
Occupation
Producer
Wait, when you say "another new engine" do you mean they need to replace the new (2nd) engine with a 3rd one? Because a coolant clamp blew off? While there's always a chance a clamp could be defective it seems much more likely a tech improperly secured it, but even so how does a coolant hose blowing off lead to engine failure unless they'd walked away from it and left it running? Dude I really hope for your sake you find that you're eligible for that lemon law replacement or FCA and the dealer decide to cut bait and provide you with a new vehicle. I'd have less than zero confidence in that dealership to replace a cigarette lighter at this point let alone an engine. Fingers crossed that the best works out for you, you have the patience of Job.
Yes 3rd engine is the charm, there is a chance that the hose clamp was defective, making me the unluckiest person in the world. I really think it was human error, I can't see a hose clamp coming apart only after 2500 miles. I feel confident with them replacing again, just because FCA is in the building making sure everything is connected properly. I was on the Freeway cruising around 75, my guess is by the time the electrical light (Service Electronic Throttle Control) came on, the damage was already done. I wasn't able to get to the next exit, I had to push it off the freeway. I can't believe how quickly the engine shut down.
Sponsored