Need opinions.

StaindReality

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 crew cab black out
I have recently changed jobs and I now am in need of a truck. I am torn am torn between getting an old truck and keeping my jlus. Or trading in for a gladiator. I find it hard to pay for a vehicle if I’m not using it 4 or more days a week. I love my wrangler. Will the gladiator be a nice compromise?
Sponsored

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Used truck prices are up there and I maybe more inclined to get the Gladiator for this reason alone. In my experience, getting a second car for work is rarely worth it... Extra insurance, maintenance and depreciation kills it. Now if it's a want and you can afford it, that's different. But buying a second vehicle for work, I would look at other employment options if possible. I no longer have a commute expense and don't need a car anymore. Best decision ever, commuting cost too much. Buy a car because you want it for personal reasons.

My experience comes from buying a second economical car for a long commute. I would have financially been better off to just keep driving the truck vs buying second used fuel efficient car (depreciation, extra insurance, and maintenance cost more then fuel savings). With that said, I would get the Gladiator and stick with one vehicle. It's kinda the best of both worlds, still a Jeep and can be put to work with the truck bed. I believe they hold their value well also if things change down the road and you decide to get back into a JL.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I’m going to commit blasphemy.

Look at another quarter ton truck. The gladiator will disappoint offroad coming from a wrangler (my brother-in-law just gave up and traded back to a Wrangler). But, because it tries to offroad, it drives pretty bad compared to the others. Most comparisons say reviewers were disappointed because it tries to do too much and ends up mediocre at best on everything.

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
I’m going to commit blasphemy.

Look at another quarter ton truck. The gladiator will disappoint offroad coming from a wrangler (my brother-in-law just gave up and traded back to a Wrangler). But, because it tries to offroad, it drives pretty bad compared to the others. Most comparisons say reviewers were disappointed because it tries to do too much and ends up mediocre at best on everything.
and, it's not a "real" pickup truck either. If you need it to carry plywood sheets and the like, or you need the bed space for other stuff, you'll find it disappointing.
The downside of the Gladiator is not a Wrangler, and it's not a truck. It does both, but it doesn't do either well ... if that makes sense at all.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
and, it's not a "real" pickup truck either. If you need it to carry plywood sheets and the like, or you need the bed space for other stuff, you'll find it disappointing.
The downside of the Gladiator is not a Wrangler, and it's not a truck. It does both, but it doesn't do either well ... if that makes sense at all.
We get it, you're rich, no need to brag. ;)

Sponsored

OP
OP

StaindReality

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the comments. This is why I am torn. I just figure I still get the wrangler aspect of things like doors off and top off etc and still off-road capable. I know it’s not a full size pickup and its in the middle. I just don’t see spending 5k on an old truck to drive to work at least half the week when needed and the wrangler just sits while I pay for it. The gladiator allows me to have both. Kinda. I’m just not sure it’s worth it. I am inquiring about one now. Gator colored. 8.4 alpine. Small lift. Aftermarket front bumper with wench. Hard shell bed cover.

my wrangler is the 5”. Radio. No front bumper wench yet. So it will be upgrade in that sense.

6F067B77-28A2-4DD2-A01E-152567B11597.jpeg

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Will a Gladiator do what you need a truck for, or will you beat it up? It will haul random bulky stuff fine. But if you are going to be hauling heavy materials then I think you are making too much of a compromise.

Sponsored

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
Thanks for the comments. This is why I am torn. I just figure I still get the wrangler aspect of things like doors off and top off etc and still off-road capable. I know it’s not a full size pickup and its in the middle. I just don’t see spending 5k on an old truck to drive to work at least half the week when needed and the wrangler just sits while I pay for it. The gladiator allows me to have both. Kinda. I’m just not sure it’s worth it. I am inquiring about one now. Gator colored. 8.4 alpine. Small lift. Aftermarket front bumper with wench. Hard shell bed cover.

my wrangler is the 5”. Radio. No front bumper wench yet. So it will be upgrade in that sense.

Jeep Wrangler JL Need opinions. 6F067B77-28A2-4DD2-A01E-152567B11597
3 months ago I traded my 2018 Rubicon JL for a 2021 Gladiator 80th anniversary edition. The Gladiator truly rides like a Cadillac compared to the JL (Glad is not a Rubicon so there's that). It handles better, sits higher than I expected, if you use the bed per instructions there is no big issue hauling plywood. I hauled 20 sheets at a time and didn't have any issues. It's not a 1/2 ton pickup but or Wrangler....but it's not supposed to be. I would do the same trade again after living 3 months with it. It's a great compromise but only you can evaluate whether or not it fits and suits your needs. You will find it hard on this forum to get support for the Gladiator so you ought to look at the Gladiator forum where there are real owners and fewer egos to bruise.

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
keep the wrangler if you can and get a used pickup somewhere, something without payments if you can.

MauiSteve

First Name
Stephen Rodgers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 door, 2018 Colorado ZR2, 2009 Honda Ruckus, 1973 Honda CB750
Occupation
Mostly retired
We have a JLR two door and a Chevy Colorado ZR2. I have a small wood adapter rack I put in the ZR2 bed when I want to carry a lot of heavy wood, otherwise I put a tailgate protector on it and rest it on the tailgate. I also have a utility trailer. I find this combination to be excellent. We use the trailer for green waste and other less tidy hauling, the truck for our limited working and the JLR for errands, and off road fun. Yes the ZR2 is good off road and when we want to take others with us we will use the truck. The JLR is just for the two of us, very nice.

OP
OP

StaindReality

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I won’t be hauling heavy stuff at this time but some material. Tools. Etc. I just don’t really want to pull a trailer everyday.
Sponsored