Sponsored

Going to test drive Rubicon vs Sahara today need some opinions

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
My 2 cents after owning a 2013 Rubicon 10Th Anniversary and having to sell it then to buy my second Jeep now I learned better what fit my needs vs “looked badass.” I loved leather and Rubicon features but hated the 2H RWD bus’s in the northeast. Hated how the seats burned the shit out of me when I had too and doors off.

My second Jeep is now cloth and Sahara with full time AWD. I wheel pretty much never. Drive on the beach 4-5 times a year and otherwise 100% road with inclement weather and snow.
Probably one of the better reasonable posts on this whole site.
Sponsored

ekimgnuj

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Cary & Carolina Beach NC; Boston; Port Jeff, NY
Vehicle(s)
'24 JLU Sahara, '18 JLU Sport
Clubs

Hello all I'm new here. I've had a 1999 TJ that I sold about 3 years ago so im not new to Wranglers but this will be my first daily driver. My wrangler was a second car and I had an Acura MDX as a primary. Used the wrangler for occasional off roading and kept it down at the shore house with top and doors off mostly just for cruising down there. So fast forward and two kids later I miss my Jeep. Been reading reading reviews how these are so much more improved on the pavement Im considering getting one as my primary car. Couple questions I have are: I'm used to AWD from driving the MDX and my current infiniti QX80 is the Sahara worth getting over the Rubicon just for that? I never drove the jeep in heavy rain and im worried about having a rear wheel drive all the time now especially with kids. Also if anyone has had both can they comment on the ride quality on highway driving vs Sahara and Rubicon. I will find out a little today but a little test drive isn't going to tell me much. Is the Rubicon much rougher ride? I don't see myself off roading much especially with kids now but I just love the Rubicon look and I will be changing the Sahara wheels and tires anyway so might as well just get the rubicon. Im just really apprehensive going from AWD to 2WD as a daily driver. Any thoughts will be appreciated thanks.
Like everyone else said, it's a matter of preference. I struggled with my decision because I wanted "it all," and I wanted the "best." Many pros and cons for both, and you can't go wrong with either in my humble opinion. I love the creature comforts of the Sahara and given my use case I really wanted the new option of full time 4wd for bad on-road conditions, but I also HATE the body-matched fenders. Lots of weighing of factors. I ended up with a fully loaded Sahara with body match top and dual top group, my only regret is not waiting for Sting Grey to come out. I waited over 140 days for my build to arrive anyway, and shortly thereafter *poof* Sting Grey started appearing out of nowhere. C'est la vie. Either way, you won't go wrong, I know a lot of purists make fun of me for choosing the Sahara (including a number of close friends), but I did the right thing going with what worked best for me. And just as an FYI, the Sahara is absolutely awesome on the beach!

AnthemAVM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Nobody has mentioned that the Sahara tires last alot longer than the stock Rubicon.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
So, let me git this straight--

You're going to buy a SAHARA instead of a RUBICON , because the tires will last longer, or-

You're gonna be really "SMART" and buy a RUBICON and have the dealer swap wheels/tires with a SAHARA 1

Gotta hand it to ya, I never would have thought of that !

W.E.

JIMBO

OP
OP

elcue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara/Wrangler
Thanks for all the replies. Glad Im not the only person that thought this through. I really made up my mind that day because driving both didn't seem to be much different but I'm going to get some more driving in both before I can order my 2019. Like most people said I don't think I can really go wrong so thanks again.

Sponsored

OP
OP

elcue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara/Wrangler
Well I ordered the 2019 JL rubicon unlimited yesterday. Figures to be here end of December. I can’t wait. I’m already trying to find some of the old spots to take it and unfortunately they really shut down a lot of them. Guess I will be taking some trips out to PA and in NY when I want to get it dirty.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Hello all I'm new here. I've had a 1999 TJ that I sold about 3 years ago so im not new to Wranglers but this will be my first daily driver. My wrangler was a second car and I had an Acura MDX as a primary. Used the wrangler for occasional off roading and kept it down at the shore house with top and doors off mostly just for cruising down there. So fast forward and two kids later I miss my Jeep. Been reading reading reviews how these are so much more improved on the pavement Im considering getting one as my primary car. Couple questions I have are: I'm used to AWD from driving the MDX and my current infiniti QX80 is the Sahara worth getting over the Rubicon just for that? I never drove the jeep in heavy rain and im worried about having a rear wheel drive all the time now especially with kids. Also if anyone has had both can they comment on the ride quality on highway driving vs Sahara and Rubicon. I will find out a little today but a little test drive isn't going to tell me much. Is the Rubicon much rougher ride? I don't see myself off roading much especially with kids now but I just love the Rubicon look and I will be changing the Sahara wheels and tires anyway so might as well just get the rubicon. Im just really apprehensive going from AWD to 2WD as a daily driver. Any thoughts will be appreciated thanks.
Hate to throw another wrench into your bag but have you considered the MOAB? I think you are a good fit for it. Rubicon looks with the Sahara drivetrain.

http://www.trucktrend.com/news/1808-2018-jeep-wrangler-jl-gets-moab-edition/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...oab-edition-official-specs-and-pricing.13314/

OP
OP

elcue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara/Wrangler
I did consider it. My dealer wasn’t too helpful in getting me one. I’m glad I got the rubicon anyway.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I did consider it. My dealer wasn’t too helpful in getting me one. I’m glad I got the rubicon anyway.
It should be no different then ordering a Rubicon or a Sahara. I don't think the dealer should have any issues ordering one. It should be in the 2019 order guide. The Moab is really just a Sahara with a quick order package 24M. Congrats on your Rubicon!

UrbanRogue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
my 2014 was my very first RWD and I was a little hesitant at 1st. but I just adjusted my driving. Not to mention when the snow/roads are really bad I put it in 4H and I laugh at all the other vehicles getting stuck :)

Sponsored

OP
OP

elcue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara/Wrangler
I just asked about it he kinda brushed it off making me feel like it was over priced Sahara. He didn’t actually say that but I made my decision when I drove the rubicon again and I was comfortable in it again so I didn’t press the issue.

OP
OP

elcue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara/Wrangler
my 2014 was my very first RWD and I was a little hesitant at 1st. but I just adjusted my driving. Not to mention when the snow/roads are really bad I put it in 4H and I laugh at all the other vehicles getting stuck :)
I agree I’ve a Jeep before so I’ll get used to it again. My wife was most my concern but I came to think how rarely she drives my vehicle now let alone in shitty weather.

UrbanRogue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I went with the Rubicon myself. Cause at the end of it all the Fully Loaded Rubicon was like $2300 difference for me. couldnt find a reason not to spend that to get the Rubi

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
I too went with the Rubicon, thought process was its easier to get it from the factory then deal with adding gears and lockers etc. Brain still works (sometimes ) but the back is shot and beyond repair. I had to think about that when ordering my Rubicon.

Wolfie88

First Name
Sheila
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4XE
I put in 500 i
part0(1).jpg
n mine to get it to look like this. Rubicon wheels and tries with 50 miles on them for a 1000, sold my Sahara wheels and tires for 800. RC 2.5 lift with shocks. I didn't need the rubicon, and its low gears and locking differential. Mine wont be doing no rock crawling though.
Sponsored