Need advice 39" KO2s - Upgrades

stino

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Right now I'm Rubicon on Dana 44s with Reid Knuckles, Dyntatrac Balljoints, Rusty's Tie-rod + Draglink (these are massive).

I'm wondering if 39" KO2s is something I should even consider, or if I should stick to 37s. I know the KO2s run smaller than advertised and they are lighter than a lot of 37s. What's everyones thoughts on running them on stock axles?

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/bfgoodrich-all-terrain-t-a-ko2/p/104134

I still need to regear, I'll probably do a front truss at the same time.

Jeep Wrangler JL Need advice 39" KO2s - Upgrades 1632205373750
Sponsored

Usethis83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Right now I'm Rubicon on Dana 44s with Reid Knuckles, Dyntatrac Balljoints, Rusty's Tie-rod + Draglink (these are massive).

I'm wondering if 39" KO2s is something I should even consider, or if I should stick to 37s. I know the KO2s run smaller than advertised and they are lighter than a lot of 37s. What's everyones thoughts on running them on stock axles?

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/bfgoodrich-all-terrain-t-a-ko2/p/104134

I still need to regear, I'll probably do a front truss at the same time.

Jeep Wrangler JL Need advice 39" KO2s - Upgrades 1632205373750
Given what you have already done and add a truss & gears, then you should be fine unless your driving style is.......lets say a lot of bouncing and shock load. I think the mild tread on it wont shock the driveline and it is a super light tire for the size. Didn't even know they have a kO2 that big, Awesome.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
You're in Redondo Beach, so I'm guessing you drive the Big Bear and Hammer trails? If you're wondering if you should consider those tires for those trails, you don't need 39" tires to run them. If it's for looks, why stop at 39"?

OP
OP
stino

stino

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
You're in Redondo Beach, so I'm guessing you drive the Big Bear and Hammer trails? If you're wondering if you should consider those tires for those trails, you don't need 39" tires to run them. If it's for looks, why stop at 39"?
I mean, if I'm being honest, its probably mostly for looks, because - to your point - I rarely if ever get into situations where that 1" of ground clearance would make a difference. But I still want to continue wheeling hard and be considerate of any vulnerabilities I'm adding the rig, if that makes sense.

If the answer is that 44s cant reliably run 39s then I'd probably just go true-to-size 37s or 38s. I'm just trying to plan for my next set of tires.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I've been on 38x13.5's for over 30k miles now. Stock axles and gearing. I'm about to do the Reid knuckles, Dynatrac ball joints, RPM Performance 2" aluminum steering linkages, and RCV axle shafts. Not wanting to drop down in tire size, I've been eyeing the 40x13.50 Mickey Thompson Baja Boss M/T's. They seem to get great reviews for both offroad and rain/snow road use. I'll be finding out 1st hand, but it sounds very doable as long as rock hopping and general lead footing isn't ones style.

Jeep Wrangler JL Need advice 39" KO2s - Upgrades 20210607_102230

Sponsored

OP
OP
stino

stino

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
I've been on 38x13.5's for over 30k miles now. Stock axles and gearing. I'm about to do the Reid knuckles, Dynatrac ball joints, RPM Performance 2" aluminum steering linkages, and RCV axle shafts. Not wanting to drop down in tire size, I've been eyeing the 40x13.50 Mickey Thompson Baja Boss M/T's. They seem to get great reviews for both offroad and rain/snow road use. I'll be finding out 1st hand, but it sounds very doable as long as rock hopping and general lead footing isn't ones style.

Jeep Wrangler JL Need advice 39" KO2s - Upgrades 20210607_102230
Thanks for the input! Jeep looks badass.