Navigation Map Update

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
How do I go about updating the map (if possible)? Brand new 21 JL but the map looks to be at least 3 years out of date. My house was built 3 years ago and it doesn't even show the house (or subdivision). I use Google maps on Carplay most of the time but decided to see if the stock navigation worked this morning.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
How do I go about updating the map (if possible)? Brand new 21 JL but the map looks to be at least 3 years out of date. My house was built 3 years ago and it doesn't even show the house (or subdivision). I use Google maps on Carplay most of the time but decided to see if the stock navigation worked this morning.
@Gladius Nova

You have the most recent offering... I would not even bother using the stock offering ... DO use Google Maps or Waze.

Even if/when a map update is available, it will be pricey and always lets call it outdated compared to Google Maps/Waze (both brought to us by Google) which is constantly/on the fly so to speak current/being updated plus has live traffic info, radar reports, hazard warning and more.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

OP
OP
Gladius Nova

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
@Gladius Nova

You have the most recent offering... I would not even bother using the stock offering ... DO use Google Maps or Waze.

Even if/when a map update is available, it will be pricey and always lets call it outdated compared to Google Maps/Waze (both brought to us by Google) which is constantly/on the fly so to speak current/being updated plus has live traffic info, radar reports, hazard warning and more.

So we have to pay for an update!? That sucks. Oh well, guess I will continue to use Google Maps. BTW, I would like to try out Waze, but it always seems to still run in the background (the little green navigation icon on the top of phone) on the phone when not in use which hogs up the battery life.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
So we have to pay for an update!? That sucks. Oh well, guess I will continue to use Google Maps. BTW, I would like to try out Waze, but it always seems to still run in the background (the little green navigation icon on the top of phone) on the phone when not in use which hogs up the battery life.
@Gladius Nova

If you are seeing a difference between Maps and Waze like that, you have a set-up issue .... check/redo settings.

OP
OP
Gladius Nova

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Set the app to only use location when in use. iPhones have this setting and I'm pretty sure Android phones have it also.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207092

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/6179507?hl=en#:~:text=Tap App permission.,location access for the app.
@Gladius Nova

If you are seeing a difference between Maps and Waze like that, you have a set-up issue .... check/redo settings.
I will see if that works. Thanks!

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
In addition to setting to only use your location when using the app, in the My Waze section there is a sleep button in the upper right corner. When not in use I put Waze to sleep, and then manually quit/kill the application in the app selector.

OP
OP
Gladius Nova

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
OK...yeah....I set it to "only while using app" and when I slide up to exit app, it still shows as active (time stamp in upper left is blue). Why won't it just "turn-off" when I slide-up or turn vehicle off?

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
There are a couple of things about the stock map/gps routing that I do like. When on the interstate, it brings up a sidebar that shows upcoming exits and what they have (food/gas/hotels/etc.), which is nice on long trips in unfamiliar areas. You also get popups for upcoming turns in the main instrument panel.

But yes, it's outdated, badly and it is much easier to enter destination information in Google Maps.

Sponsored

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

There are a couple of things about the stock map/gps routing that I do like. When on the interstate, it brings up a sidebar that shows upcoming exits and what they have (food/gas/hotels/etc.), which is nice on long trips in unfamiliar areas. You also get popups for upcoming turns in the main instrument panel.

But yes, it's outdated, badly and it is much easier to enter destination information in Google Maps.
I wish CarPlay offered the popups in the EVIC.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

Me too. I wonder if they could do that in a future update.
I suspect it may be a combination of issues.

1. UConnect doesn't support it
  2. I believe iOS devices are limited to two screens for display, so the internal and one external display. Piping data to the EVIC would count as a third display. This seems to be a limitation to the GPU on the SoC. I may be wrong about this, as my Apple Series 6 acts a turn-by-turn display when I use CarPlay. Effectively the information the built-in NAV displays on the EVIC displays on my Watch.
It sure would be nice though.

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
I last checked about a month ago and there was no update available. Since then I've used the Android auto a few times and probably won't bother spending $150 or more on an update what will no doubt be out of date already the day it's relesed.

While I like the look of the map and a few other features of the Uconnect nav, the Google based nav when using the phone app is always up to date, very easy to use, and it's easy to get alternative routes. Like the Uconnect there is some non optional crap blocking part of the screen when not needed, just different stuff.
Sponsored