Sponsored

Narrowing down lifts 2.5"

Toddtrain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Ocean Blue
I am narrowing my choices down to JKS, AEV, and Teraflex

I am just confused but what parts are actually required for a mild lift like this with off roading 2-3 times per year at most.

I have some shops saying I have to spend $2500 to shops saying they can do it for $1900.

Then the kits offer different parts to accomplish similiar things. For example new lower control arms compared to Brackets. AEV says brackets is better and Teraflex says the LCM is better.

So confused; Any thoughts on these kits are appreciated.
Sponsored

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Better is a terrible word when talking about Jeep suspensions. Better for what? For driving on pavement, drop brackets are better (not sure about the AEV ones though. Their JK units were terrible. Stick to Rancho or Evo). For offroading, control arms are better, as they keep your points higher off the ground and you can correct your angles better (I'd stick to Evo or Currie with johnny joints.) Lifts, again, depends what you want. 2, 3 rate coils are all the rage, until you realize you basically have a solid pipe for 1/3rd of the coil, making for a crappy ride. Shocks, are they paired well with your spring rate? Some shocks are fancy, but are stiff and again, feel like crap on the road. I have AEV on my JK, and have replaced probably 1/2 the lift to other components. Don't we wooed by pretty packaging, marketing, or anything else. Some companies spend a heap marketing their products which are average at best and poor more often than not, others produce quality, tried and tested parts. If you do enough research, you will arrive at those conclusions.

RW Sting Gray

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
On my JK I had a 2.5” Teraflex base spring lift. Came with springs, rear sway bar links, I think new bumps stops i dont remember and rear trackbar relocation bracket. I got Fox shocks separately. I also got a Teraflex front adjustable trackbar and Teraflex exhaust spacer, (That does t appear to be needed on the JL) and wheel spacers as I lifted it before I got aftermarket wheels.
So it doesnt really matter how many times you go offroad, it depends what youre doing with it offroad. Fire roads/mild trails? Rock crawling? If your not rock crawling or doing some gnarly stuff, the 2.5” will just be most likely for looks? You may not need the clearance, again depending on what its for.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I am narrowing my choices down to JKS, AEV, and Teraflex

I am just confused but what parts are actually required for a mild lift like this with off roading 2-3 times per year at most.

I have some shops saying I have to spend $2500 to shops saying they can do it for $1900.

Then the kits offer different parts to accomplish similiar things. For example new lower control arms compared to Brackets. AEV says brackets is better and Teraflex says the LCM is better.

So confused; Any thoughts on these kits are appreciated.
Are the prices you listed for labor only or labor and the kit?

For a mostly daily driver, the geometry brackets will result in a better on-road ride. Control arms will correct caster. Brackets also correct caster, but keep the arms more parallel to the ground/stock like angles which results in a better ride.

Out of the kits that you have listed, I would probably go with the JKS kit. I'd add a set of geometry correction brackets to it rather than use the cam bolts.

Do you like the stock ride? If so, I'd go with the Rough Country 2.5 spacer lift. It maintains all of your stock suspension, does not change ride quality, doesn't impact warranty, and is less than $200.

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
Required parts would be something to get the lift either longer springs or a spacer that sits between the spring and frame.

New longer shocks or shock extensions.

Something to corrext caster if needed. (Brackets or longer control arms)

Adjustable trackbar to recenter the axle if needed.

Longer sway bar links.

These are kinda basic things you will want to look for. Some companies will give you a trackbar bracket to raise the height and some will use brackets instead of arms to correct caster.

If your doing a budget boost dont go crazy. A spacer is a spacer but they do the job making clearance. I've run them but only for a year or so while I figured out what I wanted to do.

If your want more performance look for one that uses adjustable arms and longer springs with long travel shocks. The arms will have higher misalignment than brackets or factory arms due to the style of joint they use. Most kits will come with at least an adjustable track bar for the front and a bracket for the rear.

Dont hesitate to contact any of these companies most of them are very helpful.
Sponsored