Clayton vs TeraFlex 2.5”. Lifts

Somefun

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL Rubicon
Guys I’m looking at purchasing a lift for our new 2021 Rubicon. Only looking to go 2.5” inches with 35’. Its between these two kits. What are you guys think? It’s mostly on the street but I will be doing some wheeling
Sponsored

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
I am running all the Clayton suspension parts except their springs, I am running a 2” Dynatrac spring right now. The Clayton arms and track bars are some nice stuff, solid, and they made a nice improvement in the ride quality.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Guys I’m looking at purchasing a lift for our new 2021 Rubicon. Only looking to go 2.5” inches with 35’. Its between these two kits. What are you guys think? It’s mostly on the street but I will be doing some wheeling
I’m a RK guy, so this is an unbiased opinion, I would do the Clayton lift with fox shocks.

OP
OP
Somefun

Somefun

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL Rubicon
Hmmm sounds good guys thank you. I’m from Conntecicut (for better or worse) but however Clayton is local and I should probably pay them a visit.

Wolfslash16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 JKU Firecracker Recon.
Which 2.5 Teraflex lift are you looking at?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Somefun

Somefun

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL Rubicon
Which 2.5 Teraflex lift are you looking at?
I was looking a the RT2 full set up with the shocks. I think the part number is 153-2000 the premium set up for the JL. its the first time buying a lift and its for the Mrs. Jeep but we go wheeling on the weekends. I want it to drive as close to stock as possible but still be pretty capable off road. But I think for trails we'd be on 2's and 3's. Not much more than that.

Wolfslash16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 JKU Firecracker Recon.
I was looking a the RT2 full set up with the shocks. I think the part number is 153-2000 the premium set up for the JL. its the first time buying a lift and its for the Mrs. Jeep but we go wheeling on the weekends. I want it to drive as close to stock as possible but still be pretty capable off road. But I think for trails we'd be on 2's and 3's. Not much more than that.
Nice, the RT series lifts are top tier. The included Alpine IR control arms are really nice.

That being said; if you're only planning on weekend wheeling the CT or even ST would still suit your needs if you're looking to save a bit on the purchase price.

Rlhdude

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Limited Willys
I am in CT as well looking for a 2.5 lift. I am looking at Clayton because they are local. I like their lift but i read wheel offset is required. I do not like that would need to purchase new rims. I have a 2020 Willys and really like the Rims and just wanted to upgrade to 315's. Heard negative reports on using spacers.

mvng4wd

First Name
Keno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Willy's - 3.0L EcoDiesel
Occupation
Municipal Community Services Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
In this day and age, I'm doing everything I can to buy and shop local, so I think you should definitely pay Clayton a visit. Until then, you may have already seen this, but I would suggest taking a watch of the two part run down on 7 different lift kits. In my opionion, it is a very unique comparision. Unfortuently he didn't include the Clayton lift, but the final results of the test might help you decide. I only have 3K miles on my Willy so I'm definetly swaying towards the Mopar kit because it settles in at approx 3" of lift on the non-Rubicon and it satisfies my warranty. But, in 30K miles I will highly likely be replacing this kit with the winner in this comparison. Its two parts, so I suggest watching both with his detail review in part 2.

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
I have and love the Teraflex IR stuff. (control arms, etc..) I would have no problems recommending them. (if you go Teraflex for the control arms, make sure you are getting theAlpine IR stuff, as it is different from the standard Alpine stuff.)

BUT, I would not recommend the Teraflex Falcon shocks for a daily driver. Most have been unhappy with how stiff they are. Those that put the shocks intended for a 2dr, on a 4dr have been happier, but even those comment that it can be harsh.

I think they look (the the specs seem to corroborate) like they are seriously awesome shocks for off-roading, but I do not think you or the Mrs will be happy with them on the road.

I would suggest getting coils & shocks elsewhere. (you want the coils & shocks matched to ensure that the valving on the shocks is matched up to the spring rate (or rates) used on the coils.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers

Sponsored

OP
OP
Somefun

Somefun

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL Rubicon
In this day and age, I'm doing everything I can to buy and shop local, so I think you should definitely pay Clayton a visit. Until then, you may have already seen this, but I would suggest taking a watch of the two part run down on 7 different lift kits. In my opionion, it is a very unique comparision. Unfortuently he didn't include the Clayton lift, but the final results of the test might help you decide. I only have 3K miles on my Willy so I'm definetly swaying towards the Mopar kit because it settles in at approx 3" of lift on the non-Rubicon and it satisfies my warranty. But, in 30K miles I will highly likely be replacing this kit with the winner in this comparison. Its two parts, so I suggest watching both with his detail review in part 2.
Yeah I did watch this and honestly that's why I was leaning the Teraflex way. I would love to buy local but I didn't know that the Clayton needed an offset rim. That's a bit of an issue for me. I have time to decide for sure and will be buying new rims and tires but didn't want to offset the wheels.

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Yeah I did watch this and honestly that's why I was leaning the Teraflex way. I would love to buy local but I didn't know that the Clayton needed an offset rim. That's a bit of an issue for me. I have time to decide for sure and will be buying new rims and tires but didn't want to offset the wheels.
So I am running the AEV wheels which I believe have the same backspacing as the factory wheels and I have had no issues with any kind of rubbing. I do have a rubicon so it maybe different with a sport.

OP
OP
Somefun

Somefun

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL Rubicon
I have and love the Teraflex IR stuff. (control arms, etc..) I would have no problems recommending them. (if you go Teraflex for the control arms, make sure you are getting theAlpine IR stuff, as it is different from the standard Alpine stuff.)

BUT, I would not recommend the Teraflex Falcon shocks for a daily driver. Most have been unhappy with how stiff they are. Those that put the shocks intended for a 2dr, on a 4dr have been happier, but even those comment that it can be harsh.

I think they look (the the specs seem to corroborate) like they are seriously awesome shocks for off-roading, but I do not think you or the Mrs will be happy with them on the road.

I would suggest getting coils & shocks elsewhere. (you want the coils & shocks matched to ensure that the valving on the shocks is matched up to the spring rate (or rates) used on the coils.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers
Very good Info Terminex thank you! The last thing I want to do is make it so she doesn't like the ride. She'd kick my ass and on top of it I'd be out 5k lol I see you your profile pic are you a track day guy? I'm all the track all summer! lol Looks like your riding a Beemer?

SSinGA

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2018 JLUR, 2016 JKRHR, 2012 JKU Sahara
So I am running the AEV wheels which I believe have the same backspacing as the factory wheels and I have had no issues with any kind of rubbing. I do have a rubicon so it maybe different with a sport.
Rubicons have wider axles and AEV wheels are not the same as stock wheels

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Rubicons have wider axles and AEV wheels are not the same as stock wheels
Correct the Rubicon axle is wider. The AEV wheel is wider but the width is added to the outside of the wheel. The distance from the center of the wheel to the inside edge of the wheel is the same as stock.
Sponsored