My tailgate ONLY locks and unlocks manually

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
Ok so I have been wondering about this for some time- hopefully I am not the only one

My tailgate door ONLY locks and unlocks manually. Does not respond to door lock buttons on fob or front doors. The reason this is an issue- if I lock my car and leave it, anyone can just open my tailgate. The alarm goes off, but still...

If I want it locked I have to lock it manually. Then it does not unlock electronically. If I need something after I have locked it but also after I have unlocked the vehicle with my fob or buttons I still must go back and unlock my tailgate manually.

I have forgotten I locked it and set off my alarm about 10 times. Frustrating.

Am I alone, a.k.a. I need it repaired, or is this a known goof?
Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Also, take a look in the options screen. See of there is an option whereby the fob is used Yes/No to open the tailgate.
I would check this since it's been a while since I've dug through there.

With that said, this is almost certainly an issue. Mine definitely locks/unlocks with the key fob or the internal electronic door locks.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Ok so I have been wondering about this for some time- hopefully I am not the only one

My tailgate door ONLY locks and unlocks manually. Does not respond to door lock buttons on fob or front doors. The reason this is an issue- if I lock my car and leave it, anyone can just open my tailgate. The alarm goes off, but still...

If I want it locked I have to lock it manually. Then it does not unlock electronically. If I need something after I have locked it but also after I have unlocked the vehicle with my fob or buttons I still must go back and unlock my tailgate manually.

I have forgotten I locked it and set off my alarm about 10 times. Frustrating.

Am I alone, a.k.a. I need it repaired, or is this a known goof?
Well, the button on the handle is only for locking, not unlocking. But if that's not working, it seems you've definitely got an issue. Had it always been like that, or is it a new development? Possible harness damage at the hinge area? Also, do you have proximity?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

ill verify that you sir are the first on this issue. Mine unlocks and locks with the fob.. i believe the sport base model and the lower sport willys package are fully manual windows and locks but everything else is power on everything. My self would inspect the wire about the rear door hatch. quite possible the clip is loose or fell out thats in the rear door section behind the plastic cover. If not id test the power at the lock plug with a test light. could be a loose fuse too. added the swinggate logic so you can see the wiring should be there. but if you go to the fuse diagram section you'll find the full connector plug section that shows you every connector in the jeep to check

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/JL-Wiring-Diagrams/SWINGGATE---LOCK-SYSTEM.pdf

Last edited:
OP
OP
blessidsoul12

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the replies. I agree it is defective. Honestly I dont know if it has always been this way or not. If you are near the tailgate you can hear the tailgate handle/lock apparatus "clicks" and makes an attempt to work when the fob is pushed but doesn't actually perform the lock/unlock action. I do NOT have proximity entry.
I will get it looked at. Should be straightforward for my 3rd grade JCDR service dept. I think a lift should fix the problem
I will update with progress.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Thanks for the replies. I agree it is defective. Honestly I dont know if it has always been this way or not. If you are near the tailgate you can hear the tailgate handle/lock apparatus "clicks" and makes an attempt to work when the fob is pushed but doesn't actually perform the lock/unlock action. I do NOT have proximity entry.
I will get it looked at. Should be straightforward for my 3rd grade JCDR service dept. I think a lift should fix the problem
I will update with progress.
Hi Jordan,
We're sorry to hear about this. If you need any additional assistance while working with your dealer, please feel free to send our team a private message.
Alex
Jeep Cares

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
Thanks for the replies. I agree it is defective.
There is a Youtube channel named "100 Rental cars". Some months ago he had a JL Wrangler. He complains that the fob does not work with the tailgate and he is forced to use the key.

OP
OP
blessidsoul12

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is a Youtube channel named "100 Rental cars". Some months ago he had a JL Wrangler. He complains that the fob does not work with the tailgate and he is forced to use the key.
I just found and watched it. How random is that!? He specifically says you will need the actual key to open the tailgate door.

I am going to take it in and have it looked at, but I am suspicious that some may be assuming theirs locks and unlocks with the fob when in actuality it does not.

I would encourage all to check this...

Sponsored

rizej

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Did you ever get this resolved? My tailgate is the same way: I can lock the Jeep doors with the normal key fob but then if I come back and check the tailgate it just opens and sets off the alarm...

I wonder if there is a jam or something where the locking mechanism is but it's extremely annoying to know that locking the trunk doesn't do anything

OP
OP
blessidsoul12

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you ever get this resolved? My tailgate is the same way: I can lock the Jeep doors with the normal key fob but then if I come back and check the tailgate it just opens and sets off the alarm...

I wonder if there is a jam or something where the locking mechanism is but it's extremely annoying to know that locking the trunk doesn't do anything
yes, got it fixed. Still under warranty. Just took it in and they replaced the tailgate handle/latch unit. Works great now, like it should.
When this was going on i noticed if i stood next to the tailgate handle and hit the lock button on the fob, there was a clicking sound like it was trying to lock but didn't. Now a definite lock.

hope yours is as easy a fix

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

Is this concern still present, rizej? If so, shoot us a private message and we can dig in further.

Kate
Jeep Cares

36Elite

First Name
Bennett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl wranglers unlimited sport
Is this concern still present, rizej? If so, shoot us a private message and we can dig in further.

Kate
Jeep Cares
I am having that same issue. I can lock and unlock am neither works. I have to use the key to do both.

OP
OP
blessidsoul12

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am having that same issue. I can lock and unlock am neither works. I have to use the key to do both.
Take it in, they need to replace the whole handle and locking apparatus
Sponsored