Sponsored

My tailgate ONLY locks and unlocks manually

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I am having that same issue. I can lock and unlock am neither works. I have to use the key to do both.
We can certainly assist you as well. Please follow up with us in private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares
Sponsored

rizej

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Is this concern still present, rizej? If so, shoot us a private message and we can dig in further.

Kate
Jeep Cares
Yes this issue is still present. I can park and lock the Jeep and walk away and then come back and pull on the tailgate door and it immediately opens but the alarm goes off so not sure if it is confused by me locking it with the key fob or if there is just some play in the locking mechanism and it isn't fully closing but definitely a huge concern

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Yes this issue is still present. I can park and lock the Jeep and walk away and then come back and pull on the tailgate door and it immediately opens but the alarm goes off so not sure if it is confused by me locking it with the key fob or if there is just some play in the locking mechanism and it isn't fully closing but definitely a huge concern
Understood. We are in private message if you would like our assistance.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Yakpimp

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
My 2018 just started having this same problem. Walked up to the Jeep, pulled the latch and it opened with the alarm blasting. Manually locking and unlocking seems to work.

Just talked to the dealership and they are going to take a look at it and repair it under warranty on Thursday. I'll update with what they find.

OP
OP
blessidsoul12

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
My 2018 just started having this same problem. Walked up to the Jeep, pulled the latch and it opened with the alarm blasting. Manually locking and unlocking seems to work.

Just talked to the dealership and they are going to take a look at it and repair it under warranty on Thursday. I'll update with what they find.
I hope it works out. Keep us updated. Its a weird issue for sure.

Sponsored

Yakpimp

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Iā€™m worried they are going to claim itā€™s due to the larger tire. The tailgate isnā€™t sagging or anything and all the hinges look perfectly aligned.

the fact that it works manually makes me feel like itā€™s probably just the electrical component.

OP
OP
blessidsoul12

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
Iā€™m worried they are going to claim itā€™s due to the larger tire. The tailgate isnā€™t sagging or anything and all the hinges look perfectly aligned.

the fact that it works manually makes me feel like itā€™s probably just the electrical component.
I hada larger tire on mine and they never said a word. It makes no sense it would affect the electrical component of the lock/unlock and they probably know that. Plus there are quite a few cases of it and i doubt everyone has larger tires

brandonj77

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler rubicon
Same issue with 2018 jlu rubicon tailgate not locking/unlocking with jey fob. Whatā€™s the fix?

kakwvu

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR

Just got a new to me 2018 JLR with 24k on the dash and have the same issue. Goes into the dealer in a few weeks to get looked at, hoping they donā€™t find a way to make me pay for it.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Just got a new to me 2018 JLR with 24k on the dash and have the same issue. Goes into the dealer in a few weeks to get looked at, hoping they donā€™t find a way to make me pay for it.
Hey, kakwvu. If you need support when your Jeep goes into the dealer, feel free to let us know.

Kate
Jeep Cares

1alembic

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 blue JK, 2018 white JLU, 2019, 2019 Ford Expy
I just noticed the same issue today on a 2018 JLU with about 28K miles that I just bought a month ago. I'm about to take it in for paint bubbling issues so I guess I'll ask about this problem also.

WillisRubi01

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Hi Jordan,
We're sorry to hear about this. If you need any additional assistance while working with your dealer, please feel free to send our team a private message.
Alex
Jeep Cares
Is there any recall for this issue. I have a 2018 JLUR that has this same issue. Key fob opens the tailgate lock, but does not lock. Have to keep manually locking the rear door each time I park someone. Irritating.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Is there any recall for this issue. I have a 2018 JLUR that has this same issue. Key fob opens the tailgate lock, but does not lock. Have to keep manually locking the rear door each time I park someone. Irritating.
Hi there. You can check for open recalls at anytime by visiting
https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/recalls/search.html. If you end up visiting your dealership for this and need an extra layer of support, feel free to let us know.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I wonder if anyone with no lock cylinder on the tailgate (2020 and newer, I think) is experiencing this? It would certainly make a trip to the dealer happen a lot quicker.
Sponsored