Sponsored

Water unlocks the doors

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I want to leave my spare Fob stashed on my base Sport, manual locks. What is sufficient for a " Faraday Bag " to shield it ?
Thanks in advance
It needs to be fully enclosed in conductive metal. It does not need to be solid metal, a fine mesh or metal fiber cloth is okay.

Easiest thing to do is to buy a faraday bag, they exist and are fairly cheap. For DIY, a container lined with several layers of aluminum foil is the cheapest but it could also simply be a metal box.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Being able to stash it intact is a plus, but your observation is excellent. Spare battery in console is easy. Since I'm stashing outside the vehicle, that $10 pouch is extra protection from dampness. A" chatty" Fob could be a target for roaming thieves Hoovering stray signals...

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Done ! Amazon Prime, $10.83 Delivered, on the way.
Great tip, thank you
@four low

That particular Faraday Bag is a very good offering and at that low price, wow.....

That particular bag is noted to be quite durable. I have 3 of them... used them for 2 yrs. + and they keep working.

Do know though, that you have to go easy on any brand Faraday Bag. Get to rough on them and the lining gets damaged and the bag then no longer works..

Anyway, this particular Faraday Bag is a very good one.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Once its stashed, there it will stay, until I lock my other Fob in the JL. Did that once, lucky tail gate not locked, so got in that way.
Another reason for an external Fob stash, if the vehicle had to be moved in an emergency, and you aren't available. You can tell the the Trusted person where the Fob is, text or beforehand, and vehicle can be moved.

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
@RoadiJeff

Sales Tax was $.83 on the $10 for @four low .
Yes, I can see that but when I went to order it from the same site it didn't charge me with any sales tax.

Also, I always leave my fob in the house when washing either of our Jeeps. I used to run into the same problem before that.

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Yes, I can see that but when I went to order it from the same site it didn't charge me with any sales tax.

Also, I always leave my fob in the house when washing either of our Jeeps. I used to run into the same problem before that.
NYS charges sales tax on internet orders, not all states do. Florida just passed that requirement, so count yourself lucky if your state doesn't.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I'm no astrophysicist, so can anyone tell me if attaching a rather strong magnet to the bag would screw with its intended purpose?

Last edited:

21 Willys

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys Sarge Green
@four low

That particular Faraday Bag is a very good offering and at that low price, wow.....

That particular bag is noted to be quite durable. I have 3 of them... used them for 2 yrs. + and they keep working.

Do know though, that you have to go easy on any brand Faraday Bag. Get to rough on them and the lining gets damaged and the bag then no longer works..

Anyway, this particular Faraday Bag is a very good one.
What I did on my 2013 JK was have a flat key made and stashed it on the outside. That key would only unlock my Jeep, not start it. Then I kept a chipped key stashed on the inside. That way, chipped key not exposed to the elements. Also an extra layer of security.

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
Once its stashed, there it will stay, until I lock my other Fob in the JL. Did that once, lucky tail gate not locked, so got in that way.
Another reason for an external Fob stash, if the vehicle had to be moved in an emergency, and you aren't available. You can tell the the Trusted person where the Fob is, text or beforehand, and vehicle can be moved.
I take it you did not keep the subscription to, or do not have the correct package for, Sirius Guardian that can unlock it with an app (as well as start, lock, sound horn and flash lights, guide you to where you parked, etc.)? That's one of the reasons I opted for the NAV 8.4" screen system. I've never been comfortable leaving a key stashed on the body somewhere.
Sponsored