My 392 is hot. Literally.

RugbyRef

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL 392
I'm not sure this is a problem but just wanting to check with other 392 owners. I drove back from Atlanta this evening (2 hour drive). Easy drive. Ended with a drive up our mountain. Got home and touched the passenger side floor board and that thing was hot! I have rubber Weather Tech mats so I thought maybe the rubber acted as a conductor and made it feel hotter than it really was. But I could barely hold my hand on the mat. No warning lights or anything on the way home.
Anyone else notice this with their 392? Is this normal or is there a problem about to manifest? We're hoping to take this on a 7 hour ride to Florida next month and I'd hate to be stranded somewhere on the way down. Especially somewhere in Alabama :LOL: (I'm just kidding- I lived there for 10 years).
@JeepVet74 - I have a 392 as well (going on 3 months) and I have not noticed any of the excessive heat that you're experiencing. Drove up to Chicago (from South Indiana - 5.5 hours) a couple of weekends ago and never noticed any discomfort from my two big ol' Newfoundland's (rode behind me, obviously) during the ride. My lovely wife usually removes her shoes during long trips and she never mentioned anything about the passenger floorboard being overly warm or hot.

Perplexing to say the least!
Sponsored

OP
OP
JeepVet74

JeepVet74

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mercedes AMG SLC43; 2022 392 XR
@JeepVet74 - I have a 392 as well (going on 3 months) and I have not noticed any of the excessive heat that you're experiencing. Drove up to Chicago (from South Indiana - 5.5 hours) a couple of weekends ago and never noticed any discomfort from my two big ol' Newfoundland's (rode behind me, obviously) during the ride. My lovely wife usually removes her shoes during long trips and she never mentioned anything about the passenger floorboard being overly warm or hot.

Perplexing to say the least!
I haven’t noticed the cargo area being hot yet but I’ll check next time. And I never noticed the passenger floor board being hot either until last night. And that was the first trip with the rubber mats. So I’m wondering if the rubber mats are acting like a conductor or something. Or maybe making the heat more noticeable. I didn’t notice it when I had the factory carpet mats in. And we drove back 4 or 5 hours after picking it up last Saturday. I don’t necessarily think anything is wrong but I just thought I’d ask if someone else had noticed this.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
My 2.0L eTorque gets so hot on the driver's it makes my feet sweat... I'm seriously considering some type of floor insulation, especially during the summer...

wranglernoob2019

First Name
GT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 19 Firecracker Red
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure this is a problem but just wanting to check with other 392 owners. I drove back from Atlanta this evening (2 hour drive). Easy drive. Ended with a drive up our mountain. Got home and touched the passenger side floor board and that thing was hot! I have rubber Weather Tech mats so I thought maybe the rubber acted as a conductor and made it feel hotter than it really was. But I could barely hold my hand on the mat. No warning lights or anything on the way home.
Anyone else notice this with their 392? Is this normal or is there a problem about to manifest? We're hoping to take this on a 7 hour ride to Florida next month and I'd hate to be stranded somewhere on the way down. Especially somewhere in Alabama :LOL: (I'm just kidding- I lived there for 10 years).
Rubber is not a conductor, in fact it is a very good insulator. It takes a while for rubber to get hot, but once it is hot it will also take a while to dissipate the heat. It sort of traps the heat.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JeepVet74

JeepVet74

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubber is not a conductor, in fact it is a very good insulator. It takes a while for rubber to get hot, but once it is hot it will also take a while to dissipate the heat. It sort of traps the heat.
Hmm. Well I guess it’s “trapping” the heat. I may take out the rubber mats and see if it continues to run hot after 2+ hour trips.

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
If you’ve never owner a high-performance vehicle before or a high-horsepower V8, this could be a new experience. It has nothing to do with hood venting, coolant temps, etc. but everything to do with how the exhaust system is routed underneath the vehicle from front to back.

Try driving my supercharged Z06 for longer than 10 minutes then touch the inside of the center console. I’ve got double-sided heat shielding underneath the car & 80mil thick heat shielding material in the entire interior. Helps a tiny bit but not much. You could look into adding similar material to your interior.

C628C206-28CC-489C-88E0-3E3C09C040B5.jpeg

D8B77495-8171-4F67-8FF5-CEB35CCC59CF.jpeg

OP
OP
JeepVet74

JeepVet74

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you’ve never owner a high-performance vehicle before or a high-horsepower V8, this could be a new experience. It has nothing to do with hood venting, coolant temps, etc. but everything to do with how the exhaust system is routed underneath the vehicle from front to back.

Try driving my supercharged Z06 for longer than 10 minutes then touch the inside of the center console. I’ve got double-sided heat shielding underneath the car & 80mil thick heat shielding material in the entire interior. Helps a tiny bit but not much. You could look into adding similar material to your interior.

C628C206-28CC-489C-88E0-3E3C09C040B5.jpeg

D8B77495-8171-4F67-8FF5-CEB35CCC59CF.jpeg
No, I’ve never owned a high performance engine like this. To be honest, it kinda scared me at first. Like sitting on top of an airplane engine under your hood. I have a little Mercedes AMG but it’s only a V6 and I’ve never noticed heat anywhere before. I’ll be checking now. Although that engine is nowhere near the 392.
I like your heat shielding idea. I’ll check into that.
Thanks!

Last edited:

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

Jeep Wrangler JL My 392 is hot. Literally. D8B77495-8171-4F67-8FF5-CEB35CCC59CF

Jeep Wrangler JL My 392 is hot. Literally. D8B77495-8171-4F67-8FF5-CEB35CCC59CF
Fixed it.
20210112_105228.jpg

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Nice! Very clean looking.
You or JABCAT wanna come over and do mine? Lol
Jenn, as much as I like working on them, it was a huge amount of work. I did it during the height of the pandemic when we were just staying home. I was recently retired and I just took my time. Spent about a month doing this.

However, for heat, this is not much help. Some. But not a lot for the effort. Dynamat makes a heat insulating foam mat called Dynaliner. Heat Protection and Thermal Insulation For Your Car | Dynaliner | Dynamat I put some 1/4" in mine as shown below. It helps with heat and noise. The foil backed butyl rubber is primarily a sound deadener. In order to insulate heat efficiently, you need air. The foam provides that air. That's for the inside.

I still think you might benefit from a better reflective/insulator material on the firewall/tunnel side where the catalytic converter is.

This company makes products like I was thinking you may benefit from. Reflective Heat Shield | Design Engineering Inc. In their line, possibly that Form-A-Barrier material. Other companies make similar materials. That was just the first one that I found when googled. As you can see, it's not just a metal foil, but contains a material with air captured in a layer. So, a reflector (foil) and an insulator (foam, fiberglass, ceramic wool, etc.)

Jeep Wrangler JL My 392 is hot. Literally. 20210119_124650

jmr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JL Willys
Why didn't Jeep use the Rubicon hood for the 392 with functional vents?
I swapped to the Rubicon hood and made the vents functional.
They do a really good got venting the heat from the 2.0L and seem to
vent the heat like my 392 Challenger hood does.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Why didn't Jeep use the Rubicon hood for the 392 with functional vents?
I swapped to the Rubicon hood and made the vents functional.
They do a really good got venting the heat from the 2.0L and seem to
vent the heat like my 392 Challenger hood does.
I think her issue is the radiant heat from the proximity of catalytic converter to the firewall/tunnel, which hood vents would not likely be of much help.

NULL POINTER

First Name
Carmine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon, '19 VetteZ06 7spdVert,
Occupation
Old Fart

I would love to drive you Callaway Z06 and see what I am missing in my Z06. :LOL::LOL::LOL: Cabin heat does not seem to be much of a problem in my Z06, even on the warmest Florida days. Just crank up the A/C or drop the top and drive. Mine is a 2019 so GM may have reacted to complaints in prior C7s before the last model year for the C7.

I have a 3.6L JLUR and never noticed any heat issues. My wife lays her pocketbook on the passenger side floor and never mentioned anything feeling hot. 392 is probably a lot different, although my BIL has a 392 RAM and he does not have a cabin heat issue.

Agree that a lot of it has to do with how the exhaust is routed.

Wonder when Callaway will do a 392 Wrangler?
Sponsored