Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Hello fellow Jeep-folk,

I recently purchased (direct from Midland):
- MXT275 GMRS radio
- MXTA26 antenna
- MXT24 low-profile antenna cable

I carefully installed everything and long-story-short...I can receive very clear transmissions from long-distances and nearby, but I can't transmit. I also have a small FRS handheld and I used it to troubleshoot the MXT275. I installed fresh batteries and no matter how close/far I get from the Jeep...none of the transmissions reached the handheld.

I tried the following:
- Ensured both units on all channels were not using any PL/tones
- Disconnected the power, used a small brass-brush to scrub off more paint from the grounding source for negative wire.
- Ensured all connections were secure/tight (antenna, power, ground, etc)

I can hear conversations happening on many channels (to include repeaters) but every time I try a radio-check, nothing. I even turned on the 'roger-beep' function and pressed the transmit button to see if it went through on the handheld. I also tried using the "call" function and that didn't go out either on any of the channels either.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Jeep Wrangler JL MXT275 Troubleshooting/Help (Solved) MXT275_JL_Setu
Sponsored

Last edited:

Abramovich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S (Chief) and 2022 Willys XR (Gobi) ord
Occupation
Retired
Hello fellow Jeep-folk,

I recently purchased (direct from Midland):
- MXT275 GMRS radio
- MXTA26 antenna
- MXT24 low-profile antenna cable

I carefully installed everything and long-story-short...I can receive very clear transmissions from long-distances and nearby, but I can't transmit. I also have a small FRS handheld and I used it to troubleshoot the MXT275. I installed fresh batteries and no matter how close/far I get from the Jeep...none of the transmissions reached the handheld.

I tried the following:
- Ensured both units on all channels were not using any PL/tones
- Disconnected the power, used a small brass-brush to scrub off more paint from the grounding source for negative wire.
- Ensured all connections were secure/tight (antenna, power, ground, etc)

I can hear conversations happening on many channels (to include repeaters) but every time I try a radio-check, nothing. I even turned on the 'roger-beep' function and pressed the transmit button to see if it went through on the handheld. I also tried using the "call" function and that didn't go out either on any of the channels either.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated, thanks!
What is your SWR meter reading?

OP
OP
Lgkaos

Lgkaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
What is your SWR meter reading?
Yes.

About that...there is a guy here in Vegas known as the local radio/SWR/tuning guru but I haven't taken my setup to him yet. I figured that even w/a crappy SWR reading or whatnot that the radio would still be able to transmit something to a handheld radio <15 ft away. In my case there's nothing...the handheld doesn't even register that there's a transmission at all on the channel.

I figured that once I verified the equipment worked/was installed correctly...then I would take the rig to him for SWR tuning shenanigans, etc.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Are you sure the GMRS and FRS are compatible?

OP
OP
Lgkaos

Lgkaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Are you sure the GMRS and FRS are compatible?
Yes. I'm not using any PL/tones or anything...just the bare channels and I confirmed the frequency is the same on the handset as well as the vehicle unit via the manuals.

Receiving transmissions in the Jeep is great, I'm picking up repeaters all around Vegas, loud and clear. But when I try to do a radio check (on any channel) no one can hear me.

I even ruled-out the MXTA26 antenna by disconnecting it from the back of the unit, and connecting the original magnetic antenna and placing it on the hood; that had no luck as well.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Lgkaos

Lgkaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Problem solved; met w/a local fellow Jeeper that had a brand-new (in the box) Midland MXT275. After he soft-installed his radio to his Jeep, we were able to communicate fine using my radio. It appears that the culprit was the handheld unit.

Thanks for all of the help.

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
Problem solved; met w/a local fellow Jeeper that had a brand-new (in the box) Midland MXT275. After he soft-installed his radio to his Jeep, we were able to communicate fine using my radio. It appears that the culprit was the handheld unit.

I have the same problem. I picked up $10 cobra frs handheld and i can hear someone talking using it, but They cannot hear me. Guess I need to find someone with a legit radio.

image.jpg

prerunner1982

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokees
I have the same problem. I picked up $10 cobra frs handheld and i can hear someone talking using it, but They cannot hear me. Guess I need to find someone with a legit radio.
They could be using a PL tone and if don't also use the same tone, they won't hear you.

coolking

First Name
Sharat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe

Can you please elaborate the resolution? what does it mean by "After he soft-installed his radio to his Jeep,". Sorry I am new to GMRS setups. I have the same problem. I can hear everyone but not able to transmit.

Thanks

OP
OP
Lgkaos

Lgkaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Can you please elaborate the resolution? what does it mean by "After he soft-installed his radio to his Jeep,". Sorry I am new to GMRS setups. I have the same problem. I can hear everyone but not able to transmit.

Thanks
Sorry, "soft-install" is basically when you don't do a permanent "hard-install". I'm not even sure that it's a real nomenclature. Basically the guy helping me troubleshoot plugged his brand new Midland into the cigarette lighter and had everything sitting on his seat as we tested it w/mine.

I have since replaced it w/a Yaesu FTM-400XDR ham radio and did the MARS mod that allows it to transmit on FRS/GMRS freqs. I gave the Midland to my Toyota buddy and we installed it in his Taco and it still works w/o issues.

I believe the reason I was having trouble w/the Midland to receive radio-checks on repeaters was because I was using the simplex channel w/the proper PL tone for the repeater. You have to enable "Repeater" in the menu options and then use the repeater version of the channel (i.e. 18-RP) to speak on 462.625 w/the proper repeater offset.
Sponsored

Last edited: