Jtiqui

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Hi everyone!

Just got a MXT275 for Christmas and installed before my last three trips. Ran the power to an accessory adapter from Quadratec (this may be the culprit) and there are two in line fuses. The issue persisted without the antenna cable screwed in, so I know that’s not the issue.

What’s happening is MOST of the time (one of the 7 days of wheeling I didn’t have the issue… no idea why) after a couple of transmissions, the display on my microphone goes out. I usually can receive one last transmission but I either have to power on the unit again by holding the power button. A couple of times I had to disconnect the Ethernet cable between the mic and the brain.

The big problem is I can’t replicate the issue unless I’m on the trail. I’m going to try and ground the ground wire to a bolt and see if that resolves the issue. I may try removing one of the in line fuses (one was from the Quadratec adapter and one came on the 12v wire for the midland).

What other suggestions do you have? When the radio is working, it’s easily my favorite radio I’ve ran (cobra CB and baofeng uv-5r before) but so often it just powers down. Today on dishpan springs, I had to power it back on almost every conversation with the other rigs in my group.
Please advise!!!
Sponsored

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
Have you tried running using the 12v plug (into the cigarette lighter) which would bypass the quadratic adapter. See if that makes a difference? If it still has issues could be the unit.

OP
OP

Jtiqui

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Have you tried running using the 12v plug (into the cigarette lighter) which would bypass the quadratic adapter. See if that makes a difference? If it still has issues could be the unit.
You know? I swear I'm smart sometimes. I still have my cigarette lighter adapter. I'll try that next trip.

MandKM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘73 CJ5, ‘19 2-door JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

If it’s not too late to add my 2cents, I ran across the same problem on a long Jeep trip. Very frustrating when you are running with several other jeeps and things get quiet. Luckily I had a handheld radio too.

I initially hard wired my unit in as well. The problem with the MXT275 is that it doesn’t power back up when power is restored, so if you have an intermittent problem with an electrical connection it will turn off and stay off.

As you’ve found out, it makes it very hard to troubleshoot. It wasn’t until I ran it with the 12v adapter without problems that I figured it was my wiring. I will essentially have to rewire both ground and power wiring. I’m also using AUX 1 for my power. Hopefully the problem is not there!

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR Diesel, '17 Cherokee, '16 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Retired - most of the time anyway
Which MXT275 do you have? I am guessing the original one that has the bigger USB A port on the front.

There were some issues with a few of this model radio that involved the microphone. Replace with a new one MA275 (this number is ONLY for the USB A model) and that could very well fix the issue unless like someone said you had an electrical issue.

My club has bought over 200 MXT275s since they came out 3 or 4 years ago and there has been only 1 mic issue with the USB A models.

The newer, updated versions have had no issues at all. The newer versions have a USB C port on the front and has some technical upgrades such as split tone capability for repeaters. A definite plus.

For those of you that have the newer USB C model, Midland now has a Jeep branded microphone for sale on their website, it is the MA75J. It could be sold out but if you are going to a show in the near future (Teton Overland (Idaho Falls, ID), Jeepstock (Seymour, MO), Pamona Off Road Expo (Pamona, CA), Overland Expo East (Arrington, VA) or the AZ Dirt Expo (Scottsdale, AZ) the Midland booth at those shows might still have some in stock along with the new MXMC01 Enhanced Microphone which has an improved on/off-volume knob, twice the screen size, noise cancelling and improved interface and menu functionality. Both of these mics are compatible only with the MXT275 with USB C or the MXT575 models
Jeep Wrangler JL Midland MXT275 Problems Jeep Mic

Sponsored

XxTormentorxX

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler JL Rubicon XR
Clubs

I just installed the MXT275 in my Runicon last week. I am currently using my cigarette lighter adapter to power it up until after I get my remote start programmed at the dealership, once that is done I will plan to hardwire to one of my aux switches.
So far it has been working flawlessly except for one drive home from work two days ago at 2 am when messing around with the settings turned the backlight display off. I freezes out for the rest of my way home and using the light from my iPhone was able to turn it back on.

I will be selling this unit once I receive my Wouxun KG1000G plus, I prefer the remote mounted display over the mic display.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I just installed the MXT275 in my Runicon last week. I am currently using my cigarette lighter adapter to power it up until after I get my remote start programmed at the dealership, once that is done I will plan to hardwire to one of my aux switches.
So far it has been working flawlessly except for one drive home from work two days ago at 2 am when messing around with the settings turned the backlight display off. I freezes out for the rest of my way home and using the light from my iPhone was able to turn it back on.

I will be selling this unit once I receive my Wouxun KG1000G plus, I prefer the remote mounted display over the mic display.
I've installed dozens of these and my club has bought over 200 of the MXT275. the 275 is the number one selling GMRS mobile radio in the country and outsells the Chinese designed and made Wouxon probably 1000 to 1. We've had ZERO issues with the 275 and Ive found that when someone does have an issue it's user error and failure to read the owners manual. Did you contact customer service? From the way you closed your conversation it sounds like it's more buyers remorse than a real problem with the radio. When you buy a 100% Chinese product you take away Amercan jobs and enable their anti American agenda.

Mark75H

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wranger Sport V6 MT Astro AWD Kaw550Ltd
Occupation
HVAC Tech
Motorola is #1 in marketing for mobile GMRS. Just like all electronics, almost every component in a Motorola is made overseas

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Motorola is #1 in marketing for mobile GMRS. Just like all electronics, almost every component in a Motorola is made overseas
And yet their product is superior in quality to off brands just like Midland, Kenwood and others because they are designed and developed in America with existing parts specifications. Companies like TYT, Wouxom, Baufeng, BTect and others are normally rip offs of other companies designs made with inferior parts. American ompanies like Rugged buys their junk from TYT, put their name on them then jack the price up 50%. You buy Chinese knock off junk, you get what you pay for.

Mark75H

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wranger Sport V6 MT Astro AWD Kaw550Ltd
Occupation
HVAC Tech
If you do your research on actual radio forums, you will find that of the chinese brands you mention, Wouxon is regarded as superior to all others in the GMRS specturm, including Midland.

Sponsored

CapsKorner

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab Ed.
Hello, If I can I’d like to piggy back on this conversation. A friend and I bought MXT275s for our Jeeps recently. When we are simply right in line of each other, our audio to each other is choppy. Weather is clear, other audio transmissions are clear. But we are close to each other and we are choppy.

We both have the exact setup
MXT275
6db gain whip on a tire mount bracket.

I did not tune with an SWR, but kind of was thinking if the other audio is so clear, we would be golden right near each other.

What should I be looking at for Choppy Audio In this situation? I’m new to GMRS, did a search, but not really finding this same issue.. BTW we both had the same issue on both ends with the receiving audio of the other.

Thank you!

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hello, If I can I’d like to piggy back on this conversation. A friend and I bought MXT275s for our Jeeps recently. When we are simply right in line of each other, our audio to each other is choppy. Weather is clear, other audio transmissions are clear. But we are close to each other and we are choppy.

We both have the exact setup
MXT275
6db gain whip on a tire mount bracket.

I did not tune with an SWR, but kind of was thinking if the other audio is so clear, we would be golden right near each other.

What should I be looking at for Choppy Audio In this situation? I’m new to GMRS, did a search, but not really finding this same issue.. BTW we both had the same issue on both ends with the receiving audio of the other.

Thank you!
Your issue is NOT your radio but where you have the antenna mounted. Your transmit signals are being blocked not only by the spare tire but also your Jeep. I would be surprised if you can transmit clearly for more than a mile, maybe less. My club has bought over 200 MXT275s since they came out. We've had ZERO issues with the radios. I've been into radios from CB to Ham and now GMRS for 50 years. Antenna placement is everything. On a recent trip on the 2800 mile Heart of the West trail we were talking clearly 5 to 8 miles consistantly.l with MXT275s. Mountain to valley in Death Valley 28 miles. Its all about where you have the antenna mounted. I've been able to fix ANY radio issues with a simple move of the antenna to the highest possible position on the Jeep. Any part of the Jeep that can block the loading Coil (that black fat piece on the bottom og your.MXTA26 6db where the whip inserts into) will affect your range. Mounted on a spare tire mount is the worst place you can put it. For best performance move the antenna above the roof. Mounted on a cowl mount will help but you are still blocking 50% of your signal. A better option for your spare tire mount is the new Midland Grand Vista 7.5db gain 48" fiberglass whip. Like a Firestick for CB, it fires the transmit signal out of the top 3rd of the antenna, not the bottom like your 6db whip or the 3db Ghost antenna. Hope that helps. You can use my clubs discount code for 15% off at Midlandusa.com. Code is. JEEPEX15. Happy Trails!

CapsKorner

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab Ed.
Your issue is NOT your radio but where you have the antenna mounted. Your transmit signals are being blocked not only by the spare tire but also your Jeep. I would be surprised if you can transmit clearly for more than a mile, maybe less. My club has bought over 200 MXT275s since they came out. We've had ZERO issues with the radios. I've been into radios from CB to Ham and now GMRS for 50 years. Antenna placement is everything. On a recent trip on the 2800 mile Heart of the West trail we were talking clearly 5 to 8 miles consistantly.l with MXT275s. Mountain to valley in Death Valley 28 miles. Its all about where you have the antenna mounted. I've been able to fix ANY radio issues with a simple move of the antenna to the highest possible position on the Jeep. Any part of the Jeep that can block the loading Coil (that black fat piece on the bottom og your.MXTA26 6db where the whip inserts into) will affect your range. Mounted on a spare tire mount is the worst place you can put it. For best performance move the antenna above the roof. Mounted on a cowl mount will help but you are still blocking 50% of your signal. A better option for your spare tire mount is the new Midland Grand Vista 7.5db gain 48" fiberglass whip. Like a Firestick for CB, it fires the transmit signal out of the top 3rd of the antenna, not the bottom like your 6db whip or the 3db Ghost antenna. Hope that helps. You can use my clubs discount code for 15% off at Midlandusa.com. Code is. JEEPEX15. Happy Trails!
Thanks for your reply…I had a feeling. I didn’t know it transmitted out the bottom. What is odd is signals further away, I have no breakup. A Jeep right in front of me, choppy…. Funny thing to add is we went through a very tight tunnel, single lane, and the audio cleared up probably due to the signal bouncing off the top and sides of the tunnel. Once we got out, choppiness was back.. thanks for the discount code, I’ll check that out!

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks for your reply…I had a feeling. I didn’t know it transmitted out the bottom. What is odd is signals further away, I have no breakup. A Jeep right in front of me, choppy…. Funny thing to add is we went through a very tight tunnel, single lane, and the audio cleared up probably due to the signal bouncing off the top and sides of the tunnel. Once we got out, choppiness was back.. thanks for the discount code, I’ll check that out!
Being that close with a 15 watt radio normally will not cause that kind of "choppiness" I have the 50 watt MXT575 and can talk to the Jeep in front of me with no issues. I'm using the new Midland 4ft 6.6db gain Bull Bar antenna mounted on the front bumper, passenger side. When I used my MXTA26 6db gain whip mounted on a Rhino Rack cross bar across the center of the roof I've talked 52 miles in the desert and over 100 miles in Death Valley at 8000ft. BTW I have 6 radios in my Jeep and 8 antennas with two antenna switchers. People think I'm a storm chaser 😉

CapsKorner

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab Ed.
Ordered! Thanks again!
Sponsored