Sponsored

Mudflaps recommendation!

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Anyone have experience with putting mud flaps on the Rubi 4xe? With no actual steps, I feel like rocks are going to chew up hinges and rear flares bad.
Should be the same fitment as a regular Rubicon with standard rock rails, right?

If so, your only choices that accommodate that rail out of the box are the Rokblokz and Weathertech. Afaik, anything else would likely require some cutting into the flap.

Just note, the Weathertech Rubi version supposedly doesn't fit the factory steel rear bumper option according to the manufacturer, though one person here said theirs fit just fine. Also of note, the rear Rokblokz either require removing the lower portion of the rear fender liners or cutting them up to get them to fit back in . Not sure I'd want gravel and road salt spun up and collected into that particular area if unprotected and mudflap that decreases coverage to gain coverage elsewhere isn't a great solution.

After realizing my tires pick up gravel from the parking lot at work and throw them onto the doors and rear fender (and windows!), I ordered just the front Rokblokz, since they seemed a lot easier to install (and remove). I'll figure the rears out later, if they're even needed.
Sponsored

wrexdet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Sahara 4xe
4AEC2643-06DD-4BCD-95FA-62E4A4F8081E.jpeg

Rokblokz…and later I added the Fishbone offroad plastic stick on guards to cover that exposed pinch seam in the rear.
Did you have to manually cut the flap to fit around the rock slider?

[DELETED USER 82058]

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon 2-Door
Did you have to manually cut the flap to fit around the rock slider?
Yes, they are pre cut but you have to make the final snips.

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
Should be the same fitment as a regular Rubicon with standard rock rails, right?

If so, your only choices that accommodate that rail out of the box are the Rokblokz and Weathertech. Afaik, anything else would likely require some cutting into the flap.

Just note, the Weathertech Rubi version supposedly doesn't fit the factory steel rear bumper option according to the manufacturer, though one person here said theirs fit just fine. Also of note, the rear Rokblokz either require removing the lower portion of the rear fender liners or cutting them up to get them to fit back in . Not sure I'd want gravel and road salt spun up and collected into that particular area if unprotected and mudflap that decreases coverage to gain coverage elsewhere isn't a great solution.

After realizing my tires pick up gravel from the parking lot at work and throw them onto the doors and rear fender (and windows!), I ordered just the front Rokblokz, since they seemed a lot easier to install (and remove). I'll figure the rears out later, if they're even needed.
I had the same thought as you regarding the liner because it prevents junk from being thrown at the wiring that is tucked into the rear bumper. Here’s photos of the cuts I made in the liner in order to fit the Rokblokz. The instructions from Rokblokz said to just toss the liners.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/mudflaps-and-rubicon-flares.4435/post-1255166

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
I had the same thought as you regarding the liner because it prevents junk from being thrown at the wiring that is tucked into the rear bumper. Here’s photos of the cuts I made in the liner in order to fit the Rokblokz. The instructions from Rokblokz said to just toss the liners.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/mudflaps-and-rubicon-flares.4435/post-1255166
Thanks, bookmarked that!

And what's really strange is that's the 3rd custom fitment for the OEM liner I've seen for the Rokblokz flaps and so far, each one has been cut differently in different locations.

Really not sure which is the best method, but yours is definitely the cleanest and Peter Parker's is probably the simplest/easiest. Compiled them all here with links and previews, since I'll probably need them myself at some point..

Peter Parker @Youtube (single narrow cutout):

Jeep Wrangler JL Mudflaps recommendation! 1-PETER-PARKER

Uncredited @Rokblokz (single narrow/wide cutout):

Jeep Wrangler JL Mudflaps recommendation! 2-ROKBLOKZ

Oncorhynchus @JLWranglerForums (double cutout):

Jeep Wrangler JL Mudflaps recommendation! 3-ONCORHYNCHUS

Sponsored

[DELETED USER 82058]

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon 2-Door

okjeeprox

First Name
Roxie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JKU 70th

Yeah, I'm primarily worried about covering the front for now. I tried googling but everything I read showed said the 4xe flare is just a little different than all the other models. And then if it's different plus adding the rubi rail... who knows? RB flaps do look like they could be a viable option.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Yeah, I'm primarily worried about covering the front for now. I tried googling but everything I read showed said the 4xe flare is just a little different than all the other models. And then if it's different plus adding the rubi rail... who knows? RB flaps do look like they could be a viable option.
From what I've read over at the 4xe forum, it seems the WeatherTech (Rubicon version) and the Rokblokz should both fit the 4xe Rubicon. The person with fitment issues had a Euro-spec 4xe Rubicon which have lower standard-style flares, not the US-spec Rubicon highline flares (lower flares plus Rubi rail being the problem).

Skades89 said:
WeatherTech for a regular Rubicon work on a Rubicon 4xe
https://www.4xeforums.com/threads/rubicon-4xe-splash-guards.191/

Avocado said:
I then installed some rockblokz front and back and they made a huge difference.
https://www.4xeforums.com/threads/fender-and-hinge-protection.1411/

Not sure about WeatherTech's return policies, but I've seen several people mention that once you open the Rokblokz package they won't accept a return (and that their customer service is trash-tier), so that makes things even more difficult since they've only said that they 'think' they would work.

Personally, I think the WeatherTechs look nicer (at least more OEM) and are much cheaper, but I wasn't crazy about having to remove the small outer fender liner rivets for the fronts, when the Rokblokz only require 3 inner mounting points (plus the potential WT issue with steel bumpers for the rear). And really, I'm amazed that these are our only 2 options for a vehicle with a huge aftermarket presence - and that Mopar themselves can't even be assed to make a Rubi-compatible splash guard.

Chugiakguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wlllys Sport
Weathertechs look OEM and well designed but they will not fit if you have the HD rock rails (the ones with the extended step). The Rock Blok are not designed for those rails either but can be cut to fit by the owner.
OJ, I have those Mopar "performance rock rails with step assist" (as the factory calls them), and I did manage to install the front Rokblokz mud flaps without any cutting of the mud flaps themselves. Note that Rokblokz does say that their mud flaps are incompatible with those particular rock rails, but not so!

What I did was to insert the mud flap between the fender liner and the hard plastic mounting tabs that sit behind the fender liner, instead of the normal procedure of putting the mud flap behind both, with the mud flap OVER the end of the rock rail (instead of having the end of the rock rail poking through a hole in the mud flap). I then inserted the thumbscrews through the fender liner holes as normal, then going through the mud flaps, and then lastly through the holes in the hard plastic mounting tabs.

Note that it is quite difficult to line those three things up, and I had to fight with for a good couple of hours to get it all just right, and also had to modify one of the mud flaps (on the driver's side) by filing down the rounded notch in the flap, in order to allow it to fit.

Then, after getting all that on, I put stainless steel wing nuts on the ends of the thumbscrews that were sticking out of the holes in the hard plastic mounting tabs, using a bit of blue Locktite to keep them on.

The front mud flaps do hang at somewhat less of an angle than they would normally, and there is a slight bend in them where they go over the end of the rock rail. But they don't hang literally vertically, and I think they look totally fine, and will provide equal protection as compared to what they would provide if installed by the standard procedure.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the third, innermost attachment point cannot be reached with the supplied thumbscrew, as putting the mud flap under the fender liner and over the end of the rock rail ends up bringing the mud flap out at that point by an inch or more from where it should normally sit. So what I did was just take out the plastic push pin there, stick their supplied metal clip over the hole in the fender liner and the metal beneath it (to secure the liner to the metal), then ran a zip tie through the holes in the mud flap, and the fender liner & metal, and secured it down as snug as I reasonably could. Note that you have to do this attachment point first, or you won't be able to thread the zip tie through all of those holes after putting the two thumbscrews on, except maybe with the most extreme difficulty.

I know these are not the best pics of them, because they are not taken directly from the side, but you may still be able to get an idea of what I did here (the pics make the flaps look like they hang perfectly vertical, but they do not --- it's just the angle at which the pics were taken that make them look that way):

Jeep Wrangler JL Mudflaps recommendation! Mud flaps #1

Jeep Wrangler JL Mudflaps recommendation! Mud flaps #2

Last edited:

Cux211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler unlimited rubicon recon
OJ, I have those Mopar "performance rock rails with step assist" (as the factory calls them), and I did manage to install the front Rokblokz mud flaps without any cutting of the mud flaps themselves. Note that Rokblokz does say that their mud flaps are incompatible with those particular rock rails, but not so!

What I did was to insert the mud flap between the fender liner and the hard plastic mounting tabs that sit behind the fender liner, instead of the normal procedure of putting the mud flap behind both, with the mud flap OVER the end of the rock rail (instead of having the end of the rock rail poking through a hole in the mud flap). I then inserted the thumbscrews through the fender liner holes as normal, then going through the mud flaps, and then lastly through the holes in the hard plastic mounting tabs.

Note that it is quite difficult to line those three things up, and I had to fight with for a good couple of hours to get it all just right, and also had to modify one of the mud flaps (on the driver's side) by filing down the rounded notch in the flap, in order to allow it to fit.

Then, after getting all that on, I put stainless steel wing nuts on the ends of the thumbscrews that were sticking out of the holes in the hard plastic mounting tabs, using a bit of blue Locktite to keep them on.

The front mud flaps do hang at somewhat less of an angle than they would normally, and there is a slight bend in them where they go over the end of the rock rail. But they don't hang literally vertically, and I think they look totally fine, and will provide equal protection as compared to what they would provide if installed by the standard procedure.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the third, innermost attachment point cannot be reached with the supplied thumbscrew, as putting the mud flap under the fender liner and over the end of the rock rail ends up bringing the mud flap out at that point by an inch or more from where it should normally sit. So what I did was just take out the plastic push pin there, stick their supplied metal clip over the hole in the fender liner and the metal beneath it (to secure the liner to the metal), then ran a zip tie through the holes in the mud flap, and the fender liner & metal, and secured it down as snug as I reasonably could. Note that you have to do this attachment point first, or you won't be able to thread the zip tie through all of those holes after putting the two thumbscrews on, except maybe with the most extreme difficulty.

I know these are not the best pics of them, because they are not taken directly from the side, but you may still be able to get an idea of what I did here (the pics make the flaps look like they hang perfectly vertical, but they do not --- it's just the angle at which the pics were taken that make them look that way):

Are those reg or xl’s

Sponsored

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I went with the WeatherTechs for front only as I have several of their products on different vehicles and always happy with quality fit.

Was a little worried about busting them up, but no issues on the rocks so far. Cheaper and fit nice. Easy to install if you have a handy fork pry tool.

If they ever do get busted, I will migrate to the Rokblokz.

jl_misfit

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
I’m moving to a state that requires mud flaps and now need to find/fabricate some mud flaps to work with my chopped Rubi fenders.

it looks like the RokBlok rears will still work for me but definitely not the fronts. Anyone else in the same boat, chopper fenders and mud flaps?

WheretheJLs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Hydro Blue Rubicon XR
Lots of good info in here. Will probably go for all black front only Rokblokz
Sponsored