Sponsored

Mouse in glove box!

madscientist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Wrangler 3.6 AT
Cats are nature's ultimate killing machine. Unbelievable how proficient and efficient they are at hunting. I know someone who owns a business that was infested with city rats. Every winter rats would move in. That literally stopped 2 days after taking in a cat. His security cameras recorded something that looked like a Tom and Jerry cartoon. The camera recorded a huge rat crawling into a garbage can. Seconds later the cat jumped in behind the rat. The garbage can was rocking and garbage was being tossed up out of the garbage can. LOL. Seconds later the car appeared with the rat in her mouth. The cat kept releasing the rat and the rat would try running. The cat pounced on it over and over until it died. The cat would hunt and kill all the time and bring the dead rat, mouse, bird, grasshopper, anything to the steps of my friend's office. Every week there would be a dead animal on the steps. After a while the cat got all of the rats and mice. She started on birds. My friend felt bad for the birds so he put a bell on the cat's collar. Did not make a difference. The cat learned how to move without making the bell sound. I watched that cat sit still and not move for 10-15 minutes at a time waiting for birds to land close enough to her so she could pounce. It was unbelievable to see that cat leap and catch a bird in mid air.
Interesting facts:
Female cats are typically better mousers than males.
Some cat breeds were bred to work as mousers.
The British government has an official office named "Chief Mouser to the Cabinet Office" to manage rodent problems at Westminster.
Sponsored

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Interesting facts:
Female cats are typically better mousers than males.
Some cat breeds were bred to work as mousers.
The British government has an official office named "Chief Mouser to the Cabinet Office" to manage rodent problems at Westminster.
Shoot, I only buy male cats. So much for the hunter-gather paradigm with them. I can't imagine being better as our two males are always bringing mice home, along with lizards and birds.

OP
OP
psdtime

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2020 JLRU
Vehicle Showcase
I used to live out a bit in the Arizona desert and we had a pack rat problem. I called my extermination company and they informed me is was $75 per visit to try to resolve the situation. They recommend the following technique and I am not making this up or embellishing this at all:

1. Buy a Have-A-Heart no-kill trap
2. Put a mixture of peanut butter and oats on the latch
3. Catch the pack rat
4. Fill a 5-gallon bucket full of water
5. Completely submerge the Have-A-Heart trap with caught rodent inside in the
5-gallon bucket and drown it
6. Empty rodent into trash and reset trap

I laughed at the person and the irony of using a have-a-heart trap to kill the pack rat. It worked well and if you forgot to check the trap for a day the dry heat of summer eliminated steps 3, 4 and 5 as the pack rat was now a dried mummy.

I got two cats (they are free all the time) and I never had a rodent problem again, but I did have to send the cats to Weight Watchers ;)
That's funny I had a squirrel problem and used the Have-A-Heart trap. I would just shoot the squirrel in the head with a pellet gun (It's illegal where I live to relocate rodents, once trapped they must be exterminated). I would often catch rats, unlike the squirrel that would look right down the barrel, those rats are so smart, they would be almost impossible to hit holding the barrel over the cage between the bars. I found the most effective way was to dump them into a bucket of water and place another partially filled bucket on top of them. I found a different trap for catching squirrels (Squirrelinator) and would catch as may as 5 at a time. I exterminated 58 squirrels in two months. I used chicken scratch for bait. They couldn't resist it.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's funny I had a squirrel problem and used the Have-A-Heart trap. I would just shoot the squirrel in the head with a pellet gun (It's illegal where I live to relocate rodents, once trapped they must be exterminated). I would often catch rats, unlike the squirrel that would look right down the barrel, those rats are so smart, they would be almost impossible to hit holding the barrel over the cage between the bars. I found the most effective way was to dump them into a bucket of water and place another partially filled bucket on top of them. I found a different trap for catching squirrels (Squirrelinator) and would catch as may as 5 at a time. I exterminated 58 squirrels in two months. I used chicken scratch for bait. They couldn't resist it.
We had a pool and we would get Sonoran Desert (aka Colorado river) toads in the summer monsoons. If your dogs pick them up in their mouths the toads will release a toxin from their back and it can kill your dog. At first when I fished them out of my pool I would throw them over the wall into the desert. Once I realized they were just coming back, I shot them in the head and they never returned.

https://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/toxicity/c_dg_toad_venom_toxicosis

OP
OP
psdtime

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So with traps set for the last 3 nights, still no luck. I'm using sticky traps baited with chicken scratch, sunflower seeds and peanut butter. Maybe the little bastard has moved on? I'm going to throw a couple of traps in the engine compartment tonight and see if I get him then. If that fails, I'm just going to put a Bluetooth speaker in the Jeep and have it play Nancy Pelosi speeches on loop all night long. I figure it will either cause that little bastard to move to different state or just commit suicide.

Sponsored

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
So with traps set for the last 3 nights, still no luck. I'm using sticky traps baited with chicken scratch, sunflower seeds and peanut butter. Maybe the little bastard has moved on? I'm going to throw a couple of traps in the engine compartment tonight and see if I get him then. If that fails, I'm just going to put a Bluetooth speaker in the Jeep and have it play Nancy Pelosi speeches on loop all night long. I figure it will either cause that little bastard to move to different state or just commit suicide.
Have you seen any droppings? According to this, a mouse shits 50 to 75 times per day (say what?!?!)...

https://www.victorpest.com/advice/i...are the most commonly,to 75 droppings per day.

OP
OP
psdtime

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Have you seen any droppings? According to this, a mouse shits 50 to 75 times per day (say what?!?!)...

https://www.victorpest.com/advice/id-your-problem/house-mouse/identify-damage#:~:text=Droppings are the most commonly,to 75 droppings per day.
Not in the last two days. This mouse was especially small however. It's poop looked like fine black pepper flakes. It's hard to see against the black interior. I'm trying to use my huge Italian nose to sniff out the urine, but not finding that either.

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
Not in the last two days. This mouse was especially small however. It's poop looked like fine black pepper flakes. It's hard to see against the black interior. I'm trying to use my huge Italian nose to sniff out the urine, but not finding that either.
Don't sniff too close. Hantavirus! Very rare but it's got like a 40 percent fatality rate. Incidentally, it has a lot of the same symptoms as COVID-19.

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
Also for urine, the right blacklight will work (look this up for further info).

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I think the rule of thumb is any opening bigger than the diameter of a nickel will allow mice to enter a space.
It's actually a dime diameter. The reality is if they can fit their skull through the hole the rest of their body will squish its way through.

Sponsored

OP
OP
psdtime

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Don't sniff too close. Hantavirus! Very rare but it's got like a 40 percent fatality rate. Incidentally, it has a lot of the same symptoms as COVID-19.
I remember studying Hanta Virus in college. Favorite quote: "50% of people that contract Hanta Virus die, the other 50% wish they did".

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Regarding the urine option... Personally I would go out there, prop open your hood, stand on the bumper and pee all over your engine. Wave and be civil to the neighbors if you see them, because if you get belligerent like I was they will call the cops.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Regarding the urine option... Personally I would go out there, prop open your hood, stand on the bumper and pee all over your engine. Wave and be civil to the neighbors if you see them, because if you get belligerent like I was they will call the cops.
If you stand real still and wear all white, they may just think you are a statue that is also a fountain!

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
If you stand real still and wear all white, they may just think you are a statue that is also a fountain!
Well since you brought it up there was that time when we got a little crazy with the plaster of Paris and tried that but that's a whole other story...

gunny71

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2door stingray rubicon 2012 Jk 2door sport
Gummy bears work very good on mouse traps. They are harder to get off than peanut butter.
Sponsored