Mouse in glove box!

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Nope! No sign today. Putting the traps back in tonight.
Tom, how do you suppose that he got in? Did you have the top off/down?

Later,
Johnny
Sponsored

OP
OP
psdtime

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2020 JLRU
Vehicle Showcase

Later,
Johnny
No, no idea. He must have found a way through the engine compartment I think.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase

Later,
Johnny
They come in through the engine compartment. Mine came right in up behind the dash on the passenger side and immediately went to town on the cabin filter.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Sure you didn't order the Mopar rodent option and never checked your glove bix when it arrived?

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
They come in through the engine compartment. Mine came right in up behind the dash on the passenger side and immediately went to town on the cabin filter.
Mike/Tom, I guess that I'm just surprised that they can get in that way what with all of the problems folks have getting wires from the engine compartment to the cabin. Must be a secret passage known only to little mice. :)

Later,
Johnny

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Yes, killed 17 Chipmunks, last Summer.... they were doing lots of damage. I had to reduce the population of them.
Chipmunks can really wreak havoc. Just because they have bushy tails doesn’t make them any more desirable than mice or rats. You did what you had to do.

Here’s how I control them in my yard.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mouse in glove box! 1597192499924

He, along with the owls and snakes, keep the population to a reasonable number.

(Before any crazy cat person feels the need to lecture me about allowing my cat outside, save your breath. He’s a rescue that was already used to being outside, and he gets all of his vaccinations and is frequently dewormed. If a coyote gets him, he’ll have died happy.)

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Mike/Tom, I guess that I'm just surprised that they can get in that way what with all of the problems folks have getting wires from the engine compartment to the cabin. Must be a secret passage known only to little mice. :)

Later,
Johnny
LOL!!!! Good point!!! With our big brains and opposable thumbs we can't fish a stupid wire but these mice can get their entire bodies in. :)

madscientist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Wrangler 3.6 AT
Don't assume you have only one mouse.... or even the same mouse.

Rodents use urine to mark paths that they use to reach food sources and shelter. If you don't remove the urine traces then other mice will soon follow the first. I suggest that you go to the pet store and buy a bottle of enzyme urine cleaner (usually for cats and dogs) Here's an example that I find works well: Nature's Miracle.
Liberally spray the engine bay (cover/avoid the fuse box and battery) let it sit and then rinse with water.
Next, you should examine the air intake to the heater core, it should be under the cowl where the windshield wipers are located. This is probably where they are getting in. Additional enzyme spray may be needed here.
Check the floormats, carpet under the seats and obviously inside the glove box. All of these may benefit from cleaning with the enzyme cleaner.
Lastly, use a repellent. I know somebody mentioned spearmint oil but Irish Spring soap also works very well.

You also said this was parked in the garage? If so, spray out the garage floor with ammonia or bleach. Then sprinkle some moth balls about the place. Also check the seal on the bottom of your garage door.

madscientist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Wrangler 3.6 AT
I think the rule of thumb is any opening bigger than the diameter of a nickel will allow mice to enter a space.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Yeah, I have had mouse problems in my RV. I read somewhere that they hate Irish Spring soap so I have about a dozen boxes of it around the RV and it seems to work. I think I was most shocked because we just spent 15-20hrs in that Jeep over the last two days. I couldn't believe it was in there. Not sure how I'm going to determine that it is gone.
I hear moth balls deter them also.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Chipmunks can really wreak havoc. Just because they have bushy tails doesn’t make them any more desirable than mice or rats. You did what you had to do.

Here’s how I control them in my yard.

1597192499924.jpeg

He, along with the owls and snakes, keep the population to a reasonable number.

(Before any crazy cat person feels the need to lecture me about allowing my cat outside, save your breath. He’s a rescue that was already used to being outside, and he gets all of his vaccinations and is frequently dewormed. If a coyote gets him, he’ll have died happy.)
Cats are nature's ultimate killing machine. Unbelievable how proficient and efficient they are at hunting. I know someone who owns a business that was infested with city rats. Every winter rats would move in. That literally stopped 2 days after taking in a cat. His security cameras recorded something that looked like a Tom and Jerry cartoon. The camera recorded a huge rat crawling into a garbage can. Seconds later the cat jumped in behind the rat. The garbage can was rocking and garbage was being tossed up out of the garbage can. LOL. Seconds later the cat appeared with the rat in her mouth. The cat kept releasing the rat and the rat would try running. The cat pounced on it over and over until it died. The cat would hunt and kill all the time and bring the dead rat, mouse, bird, grasshopper, anything to the steps of my friend's office. Every week there would be a dead animal on the steps. After a while the cat got all of the rats and mice. She started on birds. My friend felt bad for the birds so he put a bell on the cat's collar. Did not make a difference. The cat learned how to move without making the bell sound. I watched that cat sit still and not move for 10-15 minutes at a time waiting for birds to land close enough to her so she could pounce. It was unbelievable to see that cat leap and catch a bird in mid air.

Here in Chicago they actually trap feral cats and re-release them after fixing them so they do not reproduce. They clip the tip of one of the ears so they know the cat has been fixed already. They release them back in the area where they trapped them initially. Or they relocate them to areas with high rat problems. It works, the City has less rats because of that program.

Now if they can only figure to a way to get rid of all the looters! lol.

Last edited:

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Rodents are common in RV's and vehicles. I had a Wyoming Wood Rat take up residence in my RV and only found it once back home in California also. Peanut butter in a trap ended it's road trip.
I used to live out a bit in the Arizona desert and we had a pack rat problem. I called my extermination company and they informed me is was $75 per visit to try to resolve the situation. They recommend the following technique and I am not making this up or embellishing this at all:

1. Buy a Have-A-Heart no-kill trap
2. Put a mixture of peanut butter and oats on the latch
3. Catch the pack rat
4. Fill a 5-gallon bucket full of water
5. Completely submerge the Have-A-Heart trap with caught rodent inside in the
5-gallon bucket and drown it
6. Empty rodent into trash and reset trap

I laughed at the person and the irony of using a have-a-heart trap to kill the pack rat. It worked well and if you forgot to check the trap for a day the dry heat of summer eliminated steps 3, 4 and 5 as the pack rat was now a dried mummy.

I got two cats (they are free all the time) and I never had a rodent problem again, but I did have to send the cats to Weight Watchers ;)

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Cats are nature's ultimate killing machine. Unbelievable how proficient and efficient they are at hunting. I know someone who owns a business that was infested with city rats. Every winter rats would move in. That literally stopped 2 days after taking in a cat. His security cameras recorded something that looked like a Tom and Jerry cartoon. The camera recorded a huge rat crawling into a garbage can. Seconds later the cat jumped in behind the rat. The garbage can was rocking and garbage was being tossed up out of the garbage can. LOL. Seconds later the car appeared with the rat in her mouth. The cat kept releasing the rat and the rat would try running. The cat pounced on it over and over until it died. The cat would hunt and kill all the time and bring the dead rat, mouse, bird, grasshopper, anything to the steps of my friend's office. Every week there would be a dead animal on the steps. After a while the cat got all of the rats and mice. She started on birds. My friend felt bad for the birds so he put a bell on the cat's collar. Did not make a difference. The cat learned how to move without making the bell sound. I watched that cat sit still and not move for 10-15 minutes at a time waiting for birds to land close enough to her so she could pounce. It was unbelievable to see that cat leap and catch a bird in mid air.

Here in Chicago the actually trap feral cats and re-release them after fixing them so they do not reproduce. They clip the tip of one of the ears so they know the cat has been fixed already. They release them back in the area where they trapped them initially. Or they relocate them to areas with high rat problems. It works, the City has less rats because of that program.

Now if they can only figure to a way to get rid of all the looters! lol.
We just need bigger cats! Hi is this Carol Baskin?
Sponsored