KansasJL

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
When I purchased my JLUR it already had the Mopar gate reinforcement on it. I have no use for it and would like to take it off and sell it. What issues will I run into since I have no idea how it attaches and if there is any missing stock hardware?
Sponsored

Ctaylor1432

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler MOAB
I can tell you the Mopar reinforcement comes with longer bolts than the stock ones. I just installed one this week.

OP
OP
KansasJL

KansasJL

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like I will be contacting the dealership about getting the stock bolts back. Thanks for the reply

Sponsored

brain

First Name
brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.unsinkablebriancork.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JT (Gladiator) Mojave | Gobi
Occupation
Business and Executive Coach
Vehicle Showcase
When I purchased my JLUR it already had the Mopar gate reinforcement on it. I have no use for it and would like to take it off and sell it. What issues will I run into since I have no idea how it attaches and if there is any missing stock hardware?
Are you absolutely certain you won’t be moving up to at least 35s? That reinforcement kit will probably come in handy eventually and you won’t get genuine value selling it.

OP
OP
KansasJL

KansasJL

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I’m going to remove it because I will go from the stock rims to 37’s and the mopar reinforcement is useless to me.

brain

First Name
brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I’m going to remove it because I will go from the stock rims to 37’s and the mopar reinforcement is useless to me.
I may be missing something... But that Mopar reinforcement will be needed with 37s. Or, do you think you need a more sturdy brand? I used mine with NITTO Ridge Grappler 37s, and it was ideal. I'm currently running without a rear tire altogether, mind you.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
I’m one of the first to say you don’t really “need” it but if I had it I sure wouldn’t get rid of it. Especially going to 37s. Depending on the tire, they can get heavy. I’m running a 37 with factory wheels on mine but the BFGs are pretty light so I’m not too worried about it.

Sponsored

brain

First Name
brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I’m one of the first to say you don’t really “need” it but if I had it I sure wouldn’t get rid of it. Especially going to 37s. Depending on the tire, they can get heavy. I’m running a 37 with factory wheels on mine but the BFGs are pretty light so I’m not too worried about it.
That's my experience.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
You should leave it on, it will carry a 37 no problem. The factory carrier and tailgate is stronger than you think. I’ve had a 37 on my factory carrier four months now, and I wheel my rig, and no issues......:)

D574DA57-FF32-47A3-8AA8-E13DA1D3505D.jpeg

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
I don't have the reinforcement, but I studied the option carefully while considering what options I wanted on my JLUR. (I decided I didn't need it for stock Rubi tires, and it is expensive [no, over-priced] for just "looks.")

If you look at the installation instructions for the reinforcement, its mounts directly against the painted tailgate. Unless there is some cushioning inherent on the underside of the reinforcement, you may have scratches and/or indentations into the paint. That might mean repainting the tailgate. At least Sting Grey will be easier to match than a metallic color.

I'll upload the copy of instructions I have; it is about a year old, so things may have changed.

Was your Wrangler's tailgate reinforcement dealer-installed or "factory option" per the configurator? If installed at the factory, the dealer may not have the stock-length bolts readily at hand. Note that on Wranglers delivered without the reinforcement, the stock tailgate bolts are painted body color, probably with the entire vehicle. If the dealer has to order new tailgate bolts, they may be black or silver or primer-coated.

I understand your interest in the more robust carrier; the weak point of the MOPAR reinforcement is that it uses the stock hinges.

If you decide to maybe keep the MOPAR reinforcement, note that larger tires require a repositioning bracket that moves the existing lug position upward and outward. I've uploaded its instructions as well. Since you've already paid for the MOPAR reinforcement in the price of your vehicle, buying just the repositioning bracket might be cost-attractive.

I hope my comments help your getting to that finished installation!

MH

Attachments

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Rubicon, '10 Tahoe PPV, '04 Colorado ZQ8
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
How much are you looking to get for the reinforcement kit once you remove it?
Sponsored