Sponsored

Mopar Maximum Care Extended Warranty

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
I purchased a 2019 Rubicon with 2.0 liter turbo eTorque, automatic transmission & most of the options.

Is it worth paying $3,000 for an 8Yr/75,000 mile warranty from Mopar with a $100 deductible? It covers over 5,000 components. Things like audio system, sensors, power train and so on. It is basically a bumper to bumper warranty.

The JL wrangler has not been out that long, so it is hard for me to tell if it is worth paying $3,000 up front or take my chances and pay later for anything that breaks outside of the standard warranty.

The eTorque system is already covered by an 80,000 mile warranty and the powertrain is 60,000/5 yr. The rest is 36,000 mile/3yr.

Anyone had their JL long enough to start having significant issues?

I am torn on which way to go. Any recommendations?
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I purchased a 2019 Rubicon with 2.0 liter turbo eTorque, automatic transmission & most of the options.

Is it worth paying $3,000 for an 8Yr/75,000 mile warranty from Mopar with a $100 deductible? It covers over 5,000 components. Things like audio system, sensors, power train and so on. It is basically a bumper to bumper warranty.

The JL wrangler has not been out that long, so it is hard for me to tell if it is worth paying $3,000 up front or take my chances and pay later for anything that breaks outside of the standard warranty.

The eTorque system is already covered by an 80,000 mile warranty and the powertrain is 60,000/5 yr. The rest is 36,000 mile/3yr.

I own a '19 JLR with the 2.0T eTorque pretty loaded. Owned it for just about a year now and not a single problem other then the steering stabilizer recall. I was not having any steering issues. I did it because I was in for a routine oil change.

I did not buy the extended warranty at delivery because you can buy it for a lot less money somewhere else. You can also decide later. You can buy the extended warranty up to just before your standard bumper to bumper expires. $3000 is way too much. I think you can buy a Max Care 8YR/75K mile $100/DED for $1370? You can buy a 7 Year /125K mile Max Care for $2070.00? Definitely shop around.

I usually do not keep my vehicles beyond the warranty. I usually want something different. I will consider the warranty IF I decide to keep it beyond the regular warranty. I have another 2 years to decide.

Last edited:

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler

Fred: Here is he definitive answer, and hardly is it because I am the last word, but rather because math doesn't lie.

No properly priced public (as opposed to governmentally run) insurance policy is worth it financially. Of course there may be other attributes to a policy like peace of mind to consider or, if really living at the edge of one's affordability, capping repair costs. By definition, public insurance, a profit making entity, charges more to you than it costs to cover you.

This is not to say that insurance isn't necessary, or sometimes required by law in life. But if you are financially savvy, the only insurance you maintain is that for catastrophic events: medical, casulty, death, and ok--I'll "allow" collision even if the rig isn't financed (in which case your lender will require collision.)

The rest you self insure.

I'm not blind, as you say, to the maintenance experience of a relatively new JL being something even the actuaries can get wrong (in which case it might be worth it.) One might say they did screw up in no longer offering the insurance at purchase that was available when the JL was first released.

Here's the beautiful irony of life. It costs more to live life the closer to the edge your are of your finances because those with a cushion can self-insure, which is statistically cheaper, while those at the edge pay for such insurances as a cap to costs they can't afford out of pocket, that statistically costs them more than the repairs they'll encounter.

And of course, this is statistics...which means your individual experience may vary, but all we have to go on in this world where events are little under our control, are the likelihood of events and their cost, a.k.a. the expected value of costs.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
GEICO MBI = Under $100/year.

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Here's the beautiful irony of life. It costs more to live life the closer to the edge your are of your finances because those with a cushion can self-insure, which is statistically cheaper, while those at the edge pay for such insurances as a cap to costs they can't afford out of pocket, that statistically costs them more than the repairs they'll encounter.
Truer words have not been spoken.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Fred: Here is he definitive answer, and hardly is it because I am the last word, but rather because math doesn't lie.

No properly priced public (as opposed to governmentally run) insurance policy is worth it financially. Of course there may be other attributes to a policy like peace of mind to consider or, if really living at the edge of one's affordability, capping repair costs. By definition, public insurance, a profit making entity, charges more to you than it costs to cover you.

This is not to say that insurance isn't necessary, or sometimes required by law in life. But if you are financially savvy, the only insurance you maintain is that for catastrophic events: medical, casulty, death, and ok--I'll "allow" collision even if the rig isn't financed (in which case your lender will require collision.)

The rest you self insure.

I'm not blind, as you say, to the maintenance experience of a relatively new JL being something even the actuaries can get wrong (in which case it might be worth it.) One might say they did screw up in no longer offering the insurance at purchase that was available when the JL was first released.

And of course, this is statistics...which means your individual experience may vary, but all we have to go on in this world where events are little under our control, are the likelihood of events and their cost, a.k.a. the expected value of costs.
^^^ This right here!

And, factor in the time value of money and that $3k you spent at time of purchase will but you some major repairs when you might use it after the 3/36 expires.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Truer words have not been spoken.
@2020wranglerjl Fred: Rick and I have spoken on this before. Please know that I'm retired from Wall Street and he from finance. We support each other's views for the simple fact that they are conventional financial wisdom.

JROOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 2.0
Vehicle Showcase
If you're going to do anything to your jeep, even put a hula doll on the dash, then I'd say no. hell even driving the jeep to the grocery market probably voids their warranty in some way.

Sponsored

OP
OP
2020wranglerjl
First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
I own a '19 JLR with the 2.0T eTorque pretty loaded. Owned it for just about a year now and not a single problem other then the steering stabilizer recall. I was not having any steering issues. I did it because I was in for a routine oil change.

I did not buy the extended warranty at delivery because you can buy it for a lot less money somewhere else. You can also decide later. You can buy the extended warranty up to just before your standard bumper to bumper expires. $3000 is way too much. I think you can buy a Max Care 8YR/75K mile $100/DED for $1370? You can buy a 7 Year /125K mile Max Care for $2070.00? Definitely shop around.

I usually do not keep my vehicles beyond the warranty. I usually want something different. I will consider the warranty IF I decide to keep it beyond the regular warranty. I have another 2 years to decide.
Where can I buy the Max Care for less?

I found this web site that would charge $1190 for the 8 yr/75,000 mile $100 deductible. Is this a good place to buy the extended warranty?

https://www.chryslerwarrantydirect.com/vehicle-warranties

I also found you can get even a better deal on some plans at Zeigler using the PAYINFULL discount code.

https://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/

For example:
8yr / 100k / $0 deductible : $2450 Chrysler Warranty, $2350 Zeigler
8yr / 100k / $100 deductible: $1810 Chrysler Warranty, $2075 Zeigler.

Last edited:

skipstar

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
This is a quote I got from Tom Hayes back in December, also I am including his email. I bought a warranty from him in the past and he was great. This quote is for a 2019 JLU.

[email protected]
Dec 5, 2019, 4:37 PM
Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar Maximum Care Extended Warranty {filename}

to me

No problem,

The 8/60K miles option is $1020, and the 8/75K miles is $1240. The 8/85K $200 deductible is $1375. Hope this helps!

jack0351

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys, 2013 Ram 3500, 2000 HD FXST,
7yr/Unlimited Miles $2405 w/$100 deductible. There are many people/dealerships that will give you a better deal than you're getting.

While the "common sense" approach says that no "insurance" policy is worth it, I've found this policy to be the exception. I have the 8y/125K on my 2013 Ram 3500, and just had the LED turn signals replaced. This was significant, because the turn signals are not available as a separate component, they are only sold as an assembly to the tune of $945 each, plus labor.

My two cents, your mileage may vary.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a 7 year/Unlimited Mileage Max Care warranty from Tom Hinkles for $2305. It was the best deal I could find and he was great.
Sponsored