First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Anyone know the difference between the first JL flat tow harness 82215382, and the new JL flat tow harness 82215382AB? (beyond simply adding AB on the end)

In Mopar parts database it specifically says the 82215382 harness is discontinued and replaced by 82215382AB.

Thanks
Sponsored

2018JlNewbie

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport s
WhiteElk...do you have any pictures from the installation of the Stay-in-play braking system? I have a 2018 Jl with the 2.0l engine and I'm unsure where to locate the controller unit. I also would like to see how the Jeeps vacuum line was modified. I can't seem to find any installation videos specific to a 2018 or newer Jeep with the 2.0l engine.

Thanks...

WhiteElk

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL TwoDoor
Hello Fred,

I chose the location (driver-side firewall) based on photos from SMI-Demco's web-site for the Stay-In-Play Duo. The spot works well because it is easily accessed by removing the driver-side fender liner, there are existing studs (perhaps for use with manual transmission clutch components), and it is close to a firewall grommet). I've attached a photo of my install - same place as shown in SMI-Demco factory photo - I wrapped mine with insulated foil both to minimize heat transfer from the nearby exhaust manifold and also to keep any road spray off the unit.

SMI-Demco's technical support staff are very knowledgable and helpful. Here is a link to manufacturer's install photos for the 2018 JL Wrangler.

https://www.demco-products.com/rv-t...-install-pictures/jeep/2018-jeep-wrangler-jl/

- Warren (White Elk)

SIPD.jpg

T's Jeep

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S - 2 door
SAB,

The Mopar harness terminates at the top of the passenger side of the front bumper. I doubt the harness would be long enough to run to the driver side of a baseplate. You could however, by a length of six-way trailer cable and make the run from the base plate to the Mopar Tow Harness Fuse Block.

WE
Looking at the MOPAR harness (harness "G" at the connection to the RV all 7 pins are connected. If you follow the wires to the connection at the passenger side of the front bumper you will notice that the Yellow wire, in harness "G" does not connect to the in vehicle harness "A". Following harness "A to the fuse box shows that only 4 wires pass through (black, brown, red, and green). The white wire connects to a ground. The blue wire stops short of the fuse box.
Using standard towed vehicle color codes the wires represent:
Black - 12 volt power
Brown - right turn
Red - left turn
Green - tail lights
I have Roadmaster Invisibrake installed in my Jeep and it uses the standard 4-wire harness. I also have the Roadmaster Stop Light Switch Kit installed and it requires a dedicated wire to the RV. I am assuming (hopefully correctly) that I will need to use all 6 pins inside my 6 pin connector but will be able to splice the pairs of right turn, left turn and tail light wires together. I have connected the installed towing harness to my truck to check out the light operation in the Jeep in tow mode and the turn and tail lights works correctly.
However, I am wondering about the black (12 volt power) wire to the MOPAR harness. Is this to energize the towing lights in the Jeep as some have described?
I want to do a hard wire connection from the MOPAR harness and the Invisibrake harness to the 6-pin towing connector at the front of my Jeep. Before I cut the proprietary connector off the "A" harness I would like to get input to see if my reasoning is correct.

Sponsored

Georgew48

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Yes it came with instructions, If you have ever seen IKEA instructions they are similar, haha. The biggest issue is getting the harness through the fire wall on the passenger side. The instructions say to remove the inner fender well lining. I found that I could reach up behind the liner from underneath. The other pain was removing the rear bumper to get to the license plate light. Beyond that, you just have to remove all the plastic on the passenger side from the front to the back. If your Zip code is correct I live near you and would be more than welcome to help out if needed.
As far as the brake I use the RVI Brake system. https://rvibrake.com/collections/fl...-auxiliary-braking-system?variant=20046642181 I also bought but have not yet installed the battery charger from the RVi site. The brake needs 12volt power and it has a short umbilical. The 12 volt on the dash is not powered unless the jeep is "on" but the plug in the back drivers side is always powered so I have an extension from the back to the front. I know there is a mod to make the front always powered, I saw it on this forum some where. I haven't decided whether I want to do that yet.
I just got my MOPAR harness and the only thing I am confused about is the placement of the four fuses in the fuse holder of harness. The picture shows 3 fuse on the left side and one on the bottom of the right side. The four wires tha go to the fuse block are installed with three on the left side all protected by a fuse but the instruction shows the one wire on the right side in the top slot but the fuse is shown in the right bottom slot. Looks like that fuse should be installed on the top right of the fuse block. Are the instruction wrong about the placement of the fuse on the right side.

T's Jeep

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just got my MOPAR harness and the only thing I am confused about is the placement of the four fuses in the fuse holder of harness. The picture shows 3 fuse on the left side and one on the bottom of the right side. The four wires tha go to the fuse block are installed with three on the left side all protected by a fuse but the instruction shows the one wire on the right side in the top slot but the fuse is shown in the right bottom slot. Looks like that fuse should be installed on the top right of the fuse block. Are the instruction wrong about the placement of the fuse on the right side.
I installed my fuses with the three on the left and in the top slot on the right (that's where the wires were). The picture is confusing but fuses are meant to protect circuits so it doesn't make sense to put one in where aren't any wires.

zb39

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ram 5500, 2018 Durango GT AWD, 2015 malibu, GMC 3500 Dump, 70 challenger convertible, 2019 2 door rubicon, manual tranny
I am old and prone to finding the easiest way out. I just picked up my 2018 JL 2 door 2.0T Rubicon from the dealer. I paid a hair under $750 out the door with the new MOPAR harness installed.

They told me it would take a half day. It ended up a day and a half. The Service Manager said it was their first install for the 18 JL harness and they said it got ugly.

No change in price. Old Guy point of view... MOPAR HARNESS, DEALER INSTALLED, they own any and all problems. I paid the big butchers bill, but, at 68 years old, I like easy too.

My 2 cents, consider the 3 hours labor money well spent.

v/r rch
I just made an appointment for my dealer to do the same. 3 hours, $748.18 Total with harness. Sounds good to me.

T's Jeep

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The instructions for the installation of the RV Towing Harness show removing the inner fender liner. Instead I found it very easy to remove the fender and the inner liner as one unit. The rivets don't have to be removed. Just remove 4 bolts and one push pin, then just pull it off. (For a video see: )
I broke one of the clips when I removed mine but I had ordered a few spares before the removal. The MOPAR part number is 68395634AA, list price of $0.70 each.
The fender goes back on just as easy. Plug in the turn signal light, line up the clips and push them in. Reinstall the four bolts and one push pin and it's done.
For me the hardest part of the harness installation was the removal and reinstallation of the rear bumper for access to the license plate light connection to the harness. Other parts of the installation were pretty straight forward and there is a video showing the removal of the interior body panels (see: ). My installation was in a 2-door Sport and the stud for the harness ground behind the passenger seat had a plastic clip and zip tie for existing wiring. The hex nut I found that would fit on that stud was a #12-24. Glad it's finished.

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Help needed.

I just tested the Mopar flat tow harness on my JLUS for the first time.

Everything works perfectly with the RV lights on - turn signals, brakes, etc..

When the RV lights are off, I do not get anything on JL. no turn signals.

suggestions appreciated.

Sponsored

WhiteElk

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL TwoDoor
Help needed.

suggestions appreciated.
Proper grounding seems to be key. I’d check to be sure both wiring harness grounds are well connected to chassis lugs. Another thought, RV 12v+ activates the Flat Tow Harness Relay switches. You may need to connect an RV 12v+ source other than the RV light switch to the Mopar flat Tow harness. Alternatively, you could Tow with your RV lights on (not a bad idea fro
A safer perspective).

T's Jeep

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Help needed.

suggestions appreciated.
I suggest checking to see if you have 12 volts to the tow light harness with the tow vehicle lights off. I was checking mine by plugging into a Ford F150 and found the truck needed to sense turn signals on a trailer (Jeep) before the 12 volt circuit was energized. However, the taillights wouldn't work without the 12 volts energized. In order to activate the 12 volts I had to first plug in regular trailer lights and then the tow harness. After 12 volts whew activated things worked fine.

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Hi all, appreciate the help.

All of my grounds were good.

I "think" I found the problem. The picture in the instructions for putting the terminals in the new little fuse box under the hood is not exactly clear. I was looking at it from the wrong direction & had the Green / White & Black / white wires reversed.

I now have matching colored pairs in the box for each of the fuses.

will know if that was it on Friday when I hook it up for my first tow out to the racetrack. Excited to show off my new toy to all of my fellow racers:)

OP
OP
Broccoli2

Broccoli2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL, 2011 JK 1946CJ2-A
Yep. When you turned on your lights it triggered the relay. That plug diagram is pretty vague. Did you get the wires out and put in the right spots? It can be kinda hard to get that white piece out of the plug

blightle

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon (JL)
For any of you that have already installed the Mopar Tow Harness - I have a question on the connection of the "A" wire harness to the connector shown in step 12. It shows removal of the white plastic lock that comes in the connector. Does this "lock" come all the way our and if so how is it removed? I can only get mine to move about 1/8" inches which isn't far enough to insert any of the 6 pins. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
I am having the exact same issue. I did not see an answer to this question and could really use the help. I can't figure out how to get the white plastic "lock" piece out so I can insert the 6 pins. Any suggestions? Thank you
Sponsored