Sponsored

Mopar Flat Tow Harness arrived

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2017 Harley Street Glide Special, 2019 Jeep JLRU
@WhiteElk, I'm hoping to add the RVi battery charger, which I believe, requires 12v from the MH.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Broccoli2

Broccoli2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL, 2011 JK 1946CJ2-A
Sorry for the Delay,
Yes- it is 7 pin
Yes- it provides constant 12V (as long as the Tow Vehicle has it) (I believe this is what trips the relays)
No- it does not have a battery charger built in (if that is what you are asking)

I have also purchased the RVI battery charger
No- I have not hooked it up yet. I will just splice into that wire, Easy enough

Hope this helps

T's Jeep

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S - 2 door
I have a Roadmaster Invisibrake installed in my JL for braking. It includes battery charging while underway as long as the RV lights are on. I haven't installed the Mopar harness yet. Waiting for nicer weather. I plan to tie the wires from the RV to both the Mopar harness and the Invisibrake wiring at the 6 way plug installed for the Invisibrake. I was wondering if anybody has seen a video of the Mopar tow harness install. It says to remove tail lights, right front interior fender liner, air filter box, interior plastic panels, and rear bumper to access wiring routes and the license plate light plugin. It doesn't say it is necessary but I plan on removing the right front tire also (for access to fender liner). I could use any tips from those who complete the installation.

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2017 Harley Street Glide Special, 2019 Jeep JLRU
@T's Jeep, I do not have my harness yet, nor have I seen a install video, but I have browsed through the install directions; and it might not be necessary to remove the inner fender liner? Sure it would make the install easier, but I think I'm going to skip that step and see if it can still be done.

Sponsored

t3aztec

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Does this harness come with a connection to plug in the cable from the motorhome? Is it 7 pin?

So I would need a 7pin to 7pin umbilical cord?

WhiteElk

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL TwoDoor
You do not need to buy an umbilical. The Mopar kit comes with a proprietary 7-way to OEM connector umbilical.

WhiteElk

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL TwoDoor
I was wondering if anybody has seen a video of the Mopar tow harness install. It says to remove tail lights, right front interior fender liner, air filter box, interior plastic panels, and rear bumper to access wiring routes and the license plate light plugin. It doesn't say it is necessary but I plan on removing the right front tire also (for access to fender liner). I could use any tips from those who complete the installation.
As stated earlier CJ Off-Road’s video of a trailer tow harness installation is quite helpful -

t3aztec

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
You do not need to buy an umbilical. The Mopar kit comes with a proprietary 7-way to OEM connector umbilical.
Thank you. Do I need to buy a connection plate? Or does the harness have that also? No pictures online I could find.

WhiteElk

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL TwoDoor
Thank you. Do I need to buy a connection plate? Look at TJeep’s post from last Wednesday. It has the Mopar installation instructions. Also, look at Brocolli2’s original post - it has a nice photograph of the Mopar kit components.

Sponsored

t3aztec

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
I ordered Mopar Part #82215382 09/02/18. I was told it hadn't been made yet and that I should expect it in December. It arrived the day before Christmas, I installed it yesterday. I almost gave up and bought a CoolTech. I didn't like the idea of having to cut wires and installing a switch ie, you would have to switch it to tow mode or drive mode and I don't believe it has a license plate light (I might be wrong on that one). The Mopar one was a bit of a hassle to install (very similar to trailer towing harness) but pretty much plug and play. The second you plug in the harness to the tow vehicle the lighting is switched to tow mode and vice versa. Super easy and keeps everything under warranty.

IMG_2309.JPG
Does it come with a connector? (Where you plug in the 7 pin). And where did install the connector?

WhiteElk

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL TwoDoor
The Mopar kit is complete (no need to buy anything other than towbar, baseplate or tow-capable bumper and a brake assist device. You may wish/need to buy a battery charger (for the Jeep - RVi makes a nice one), and also a brake light switch (if you plan to install an SMI Stay-In-Play Duo or Roadmaster Invisibrake). Here again is a link to T’s Jeep post of the Mopar kit instructions - you’ll need to study them to answer all your questions.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/attachments/rv-tow-harness-wrangler-jl-pdf.142395/

t3aztec

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
The Mopar kit is complete (no need to buy anything other than towbar, baseplate or tow-capable bumper and a brake assist device. You may wish/need to buy a battery charger (for the Jeep - RVi makes a nice one), and also a brake light switch (if you plan to install an SMI Stay-In-Play Duo or Roadmaster Invisibrake). Here again is a link to T’s Jeep post of the Mopar kit instructions - you’ll need to study them to answer all your questions.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/attachments/rv-tow-harness-wrangler-jl-pdf.142395/

Thank you. This is awesome. Now I see how it hooks up.

RCH

First Name
RICHARD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL RUBI 2dr 2.0t, 2014 CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK
I am old and prone to finding the easiest way out. I just picked up my 2018 JL 2 door 2.0T Rubicon from the dealer. I paid a hair under $750 out the door with the new MOPAR harness installed.

They told me it would take a half day. It ended up a day and a half. The Service Manager said it was their first install for the 18 JL harness and they said it got ugly.

No change in price. Old Guy point of view... MOPAR HARNESS, DEALER INSTALLED, they own any and all problems. I paid the big butchers bill, but, at 68 years old, I like easy too.

My 2 cents, consider the 3 hours labor money well spent.

v/r rch

WhiteElk

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL TwoDoor
Update on my JLR project...

I decided to install the following on my JL Rubicon 2 Door myself, both to save money and to better understand my Jeep.

- Installed the Mopar RV Tow Wiring Harness - Relatively straight forward, thanks to Brocolli2's tips and references ~6 hours

- Installed the CoolTech CB kit including atennae quick disconnect device. Wiring was simplified by installing simultaneous with the Mopar Flat Tow harness ~ 2 hours (would have been more had I done this as a standalone project).

- Installed SMI/Demco's Stay-In-Play Duo brake system, along with Roadmaster's stop-light switch (the latter is necessary to support the SIPDuo "Brake On" indicator light. This project was much more involved than the Mopar RV Tow wiring harness, perhaps in part due to the dearth of installation videos available at this time. ~10 hours

- Installed RVi's towed battery charger (uses Motorhome 12v supplied via the Mopar Flat Tow Harness/connection. ~ 30 minutes

Would I do it over again? Yes, partly due to the fact that as a newly retired, mechanically inclined guy, I was looking for a Winter project.
Sponsored