Sponsored

Mickey Thompson Baja Pro XS

NW_Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Here's a sneak peak. It's still at the shop waiting for the Maximus Roof rack parts. This has been a massive build. Still waiting for my Squadron Pros, Roof Rack, DV8 inners, DV8 rock skins, gears etc.

The guys at the shop drove it and said they were floored how smooth the ride was with these tires. That jives with everything I've read about them online about their street manners.

132444738_3667481809964461_366916356311406931_o.jpg

132784982_3667481699964472_4058436657668808511_o.jpg
3.5” MC?
Sponsored

Vettethret

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler Rubicon Diesel/2022 X3M Comp
Yes, 3.5" MC. Sorry guys, I just got out of the hospital with Covid. 47 years old, no health issues, and its absolutely floored me. Started with flu symptoms on the 24th, had to go in the hospital last Tuesday, it has really hit my lungs, still cant breath normally. The worst part is Covid killed my mom on Jan 4th in her Convalescent facility and I couldn't even talk or see her being sick myself. Bottom line is, take care of yourself and your family, the Lord guarantees no man tomorrow! The Jeep is still in the shop. Maximus dropped the ball on the mounting hardware for the rack, hopefully next week its in so I can pick this 1.5 month build up.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, 3.5" MC. Sorry guys, I just got out of the hospital with Covid. 47 years old, no health issues, and its absolutely floored me. Started with flu symptoms on the 24th, had to go in the hospital last Tuesday, it has really hit my lungs, still cant breath normally. The worst part is Covid killed my mom on Jan 4th in her Convalescent facility and I couldn't even talk or see her being sick myself. Bottom line is, take care of yourself and your family, the Lord guarantees no man tomorrow! The Jeep is still in the shop. Maximus dropped the ball on the mounting hardware for the rack, hopefully next week its in so I can pick this 1.5 month build up.
My most sincere condolences for your loss! Now be strong, and get better.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
That's rough news Mike, this Covid is really one sneaky virus, seems to affect everyone differently, sorry for your loss :(

Sure hope the new year deals you some better hands :)
That build is top-shelf, looks awesome from all sides, look forward to seeing more of that beast!

Sponsored

Vettethret

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's rough news Mike, this Covid is really one sneaky virus, seems to affect everyone differently, sorry for your loss :(

Sure hope the new year deals you some better hands :)
That build is top-shelf, looks awesome from all sides, look forward to seeing more of that beast!
I'm still having problems breathing. I've been out of the hospital since last Tuesday night (After a week), and my lung capacity hasn't changed. Im praying theres no long term damage. Covid with Pneumonia. The wife had it for 2 weeks, she's fine now, so it definitely hits everyone differently.

I talked to the shop today, and they dont think the rack parts will be in before weeks end, so depending on how I feel, I plan on picking up the Jeep on Thursday. I will post up the entire build. Can't wait to try out these Alcons and see how the PRO XS ride on the street (Great supposedly). 👍

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
I'm still having problems breathing. I've been out of the hospital since last Tuesday night (After a week), and my lung capacity hasn't changed. Im praying theres no long term damage. Covid with Pneumonia. The wife had it for 2 weeks, she's fine now, so it definitely hits everyone differently.

I talked to the shop today, and they dont think the rack parts will be in before weeks end, so depending on how I feel, I plan on picking up the Jeep on Thursday. I will post up the entire build. Can't wait to try out these Alcons and see how the PRO XS ride on the street (Great supposedly). 👍
Sorry to hear this man. I hope you make a full recovery soon. It's crazy I know people that say covid is no big deal, some who won't come out of their house, and all ranges of being safe or not in between. At the end of the day it's all about what we individually feel comfortable with, but stories like yours are definitely a wake up call, at least to me. Thanks for sharing, and sorry for your loss.

I came in just casually reading. I'm interested in the new Mickey thompson baja boss a/t but haven't seen anything about when they actually come out. I probably won't need new tires until this summer though so I have time.

Vettethret

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry to hear this man. I hope you make a full recovery soon. It's crazy I know people that say covid is no big deal, some who won't come out of their house, and all ranges of being safe or not in between. At the end of the day it's all about what we individually feel comfortable with, but stories like yours are definitely a wake up call, at least to me. Thanks for sharing, and sorry for your loss.

I came in just casually reading. I'm interested in the new Mickey thompson baja boss a/t but haven't seen anything about when they actually come out. I probably won't need new tires until this summer though so I have time.
Thank you. What I dont understand is how I got it. I work out of the house and dont go out a lot anyway, when I do, I put the mask on (Unless im outside). I drove the Jeep home from the shop and there a lot of wheel movement with these tires. It definitely needs Ram Assist. It was only a short drive but these are aggressive tires and you can feel it. I have a 20 second video that shows the steering wheel movement but it says its too large to upload?

(Still waiting for my rack, 2nd set of squadron pros on A pillar and S&B hood scoop system install)

Jeep Wrangler JL Mickey Thompson Baja Pro XS JEEP 1

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
That's looks awesome! One mod leads to the next!

Yea that's the crazy thing about covid, we seem to know so little about how it spreads and how it affects different people. These vaccines can't get out quick enough.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you. What I dont understand is how I got it. I work out of the house and dont go out a lot anyway, when I do, I put the mask on (Unless im outside). I drove the Jeep home from the shop and there a lot of wheel movement with these tires. It definitely needs Ram Assist. It was only a short drive but these are aggressive tires and you can feel it. I have a 20 second video that shows the steering wheel movement but it says its too large to upload?

(Still waiting for my rack, 2nd set of squadron pros on A pillar and S&B hood scoop system install)

Jeep Wrangler JL Mickey Thompson Baja Pro XS JEEP 1
Glad to hear your getting better! And the Jeep looks great! I'm definitely interested in hearing more about the tires, after you get a chance to rack up some more seat time. I'd like to stick with a 38x13.5, but not sure if I'll go with another set of Pat's.

Sponsored

Vettethret

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Glad to hear your getting better! And the Jeep looks great! I'm definitely interested in hearing more about the tires, after you get a chance to rack up some more seat time. I'd like to stick with a 38x13.5, but not sure if I'll go with another set of Pat's.
Thank you. So there's a lot of movement with the steering wheel. The owner of the shop that did the work sent me a text on Saturday when I voiced my displeasure on how this thing is driving. He said the tires were 15 ounces out of balance and that they had to use balance beads because regular weights wouldn't cut it. If I take my hand off the wheel at 50 mph, the Jeep will make a right. I don't know if 15 ounces is within spec or who he should have returned the tires for truer ones. I am going to take it to my local tire shop today and get their opinion and also have them put them on the balance machine and see where were at. This was a 34k build, to have my wheel bouncing around at 50 mph is not going to work. I have run Mud Grapplers that have driven much straighter than these.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you. So there's a lot of movement with the steering wheel. The owner of the shop that did the work sent me a text on Saturday when I voiced my displeasure on how this thing is driving. He said the tires were 15 ounces out of balance and that they had to use balance beads because regular weights wouldn't cut it. If I take my hand off the wheel at 50 mph, the Jeep will make a right. I don't know if 15 ounces is within spec or who he should have returned the tires for truer ones. I am going to take it to my local tire shop today and get their opinion and also have them put them on the balance machine and see where were at. This was a 34k build, to have my wheel bouncing around at 50 mph is not going to work. I have run Mud Grapplers that have driven much straighter than these.
Verify that your shop has a road force balancing machine. A regular machine doesn't have the accuracy that is more important when dealing with these larger tires.

Also, make sure that the alignment wasn't adjusted to factory specs. Even the higher range of factory caster specs is too low.

Vettethret

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Verify that your shop has a road force balancing machine. A regular machine doesn't have the accuracy that is more important when dealing with these larger tires.

Also, make sure that the alignment wasn't adjusted to factory specs. Even the higher range of factory caster specs is too low.
I never did get the specs on alignment, the shop owner keeps blaming the tires, but we'll soon find out. These are Radials, not biased ply, so the jeep should run much straighter than it does.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I never did get the specs on alignment, the shop owner keeps blaming the tires, but we'll soon find out. These are Radials, not biased ply, so the jeep should run much straighter than it does.
Agreed. Hopefully, a second look will get you sorted out.

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
The Baja Pro XS tires are actually bias ply tires. But, yours still took a bunch of weight to balance and probably a bad tire.
Sponsored