Sponsored

Metalcloak Pro Step hinge steps installed

NewTXJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Finally got my Metalcloak Pro Step hinge steps installed. The hardest part - getting the factory hinge bolts off.

Finished product

IMG_3266-XL.jpg

IMG_0053-XL.jpg

The breaker bar was instrumental in taking off the factory bolts. Combine with a quality T50 Torx bit. I almost gave up and decided to use extractor bits, but i'm positive that if you use the breaker bar to begin with (before stripping the heads), you should be fine

IMG_2413-XL.jpg

Below is everything that came in the box (almost).

IMG_2321-XL.jpg

Special shoutout to Metalcloak for the plastic spacers. Great quality and already molded with the protrusion for the holes in the hinge. No need to worry about additional washers, etc. Note, I said almost everything came in the package. I was originally sent the JK spacers, but this was remediated promptly by Metalcloak. They overnighted me the replacement JL spacers via Fedex at their own cost.

Once again, excellent quality spacers. Even has their logo on it.
IMG_3133-XL.jpg

All the hardware was included, but the package didn't have any instructions. I understand that this should be a self explanatory install, but rookies like me prefer a few instructions. Found the instructions at

https://images.metalcloak.com/KMS/I...R60265-Pro-Step-Installation-Instructions.pdf

All in all, a quality product, great attention to detail and excellent customer service.

@Metalcloak
Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Nice addition and looks like a quality product.

I know what you mean about the bolts. When I installed my Metalcloak Sportgate, I tried using a ½ inch ratchet with the Torx bit to remove the tailgate hinge bolts. There was no way that bolt was coming out and I was concerned with stripping the bolt head.

I ended up using a ½" battery powered impact wrench and the bolts came out super easy.

TylerU

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU
I tried and failed to get my door bolts off a couple of times. First by hand and second time with a 3/8 battery impact wrench. Talking to a few people they said the breaker bar was key. Where did you get your 1/2 drive T50 bit?

OP
OP
NewTXJL

NewTXJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I tried and failed to get my door bolts off a couple of times. First by hand and second time with a 3/8 battery impact wrench. Talking to a few people they said the breaker bar was key. Where did you get your 1/2 drive T50 bit?
Lowes. Craftsman bit. Picked up a T40 as well while I was at it. I think the key is to use the breaker bar before you shred the bolt..

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I used a cordless Kobalt 24 volt ½" drive impact wrench, along with a ½" to ⅜" adapter for the T-50 bit.

Sponsored

TylerU

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU
Thank you both, Ill get it......one of these days!

Jostan

First Name
stanley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Did the kit come with 4 steps or did you have to order 2 kits?

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
I read this entire thread. What do I do if the floating nut holder behind the door fails to accept the bolt back in? I am stuck with three bolts in on the rear passenger door and the bottom left one refuses to take bite and screw in. I can feel the nut holder bend back and forth as I put the bolt in and it just spins... no bite. I have tried to lossen the right one and align the nut holder using a small screw driver and then thightening te right one so the nut plate stays in place...but the nut just seem to be too big... just keeps spinning.

What remedy? I stopped there and did not put the front ones in because I am afraid the same thing will happen again and it's puzzling.

Sponsored

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
Ouch, I've got a set of these built and sitting on the bench waiting for install. Just no roof rack yet so haven't had a reason to toss them on. Think I'll wait to hear more about that floating bolt first....

Hardest part for me so far was forgetting to put anti seize on one and as soon as it hit the nylock bolt, it froze. So yeah, don't forget the anti seize.

Also, harbor has a decent set of 1/2" impacts with a T50. Not sure if I'll impact them or breaker bar. Probably the breaker though.

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimted Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Finally got my Metalcloak Pro Step hinge steps installed. The hardest part - getting the factory hinge bolts off.

Finished product

Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak Pro Step hinge steps installed IMG_3133-XL

The breaker bar was instrumental in taking off the factory bolts. Combine with a quality T50 Torx bit. I almost gave up and decided to use extractor bits, but i'm positive that if you use the breaker bar to begin with (before stripping the heads), you should be fine

Below is everything that came in the box (almost).

Special shoutout to Metalcloak for the plastic spacers. Great quality and already molded with the protrusion for the holes in the hinge. No need to worry about additional washers, etc. Note, I said almost everything came in the package. I was originally sent the JK spacers, but this was remediated promptly by Metalcloak. They overnighted me the replacement JL spacers via Fedex at their own cost.

Once again, excellent quality spacers. Even has their logo on it.

All the hardware was included, but the package didn't have any instructions. I understand that this should be a self explanatory install, but rookies like me prefer a few instructions. Found the instructions at

https://images.metalcloak.com/KMS/I...R60265-Pro-Step-Installation-Instructions.pdf

All in all, a quality product, great attention to detail and excellent customer service.

@Metalcloak

Getting ready to intstall some SB steps and have been reading about the door bolts being a PIA.

Did you use a 3/8" or 1/2" breaker bar? The picture looks like a 1/2".

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
Was rotating tires and got impatient, so I threw my rear steps on before I've even order my rack.

Now I'm that guy with steps and nothing to step up to. :LOL:

Door bolts were fairly easy. Key was to tap in the bit with a small hammer to seat it fully, then used a breaker bar. Slight to tighten first to get a little friction and then broke with relative ease.

No issue with the set bolts. They are a combination bolt that serves both holes and as long you break both bolt before removing either, there shouldn't be a problem with it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak Pro Step hinge steps installed 1590865899062

Jank4AU

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak Pro Step hinge steps installed 20200321_143754

Would love to be able to reach to top better!

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Bringing back an old thread. Anyone have this that is a bit heaftier? I range between 220-250 lbs depending on the month, lol. Will these support me without pulling out the hinges?
Sponsored