MT1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima
Hi,
Should be getting my new Rubicon in about one month.
Contacted a local off road shop about doing a suspension for me. Told him I wanted the Metalcloak 2.5” game changer with the Rocksports and steering stabilizer. He was trying to talk me out of that suspension since it is going to be a daily driver and off-roading will not be done often, at least for now. It definitely is more suspension than I actually need. I appreciated the fact he was talking to me about a cheaper option (JKS basic 2.5). One of his main talking points was the maintenance required on the metalcloak suspension. I’m very mechanical savvy but on a brand new expensive Jeep and with limited time, I would rather have it done quickly and professionally.
I’m also the type of person that likes to do things the “right way” the first time. From everything I have read, the maintenance on the metalcloak should be minimal. Am I correct or am i missing something?
Thanks!
Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Th
Hi,
Contacted a local off road shop about doing a suspension for me. Told him I wanted the Metalcloak 2.5” game changer with the Rocksports and steering stabilizer. He was trying to talk me out of that suspension since it is going to be a daily driver and off-roading will not be done often, at least for now. It definitely is more suspension than I actually need. I appreciated the fact he was talking to me about a cheaper option (JKS basic 2.5). One of his main talking points was the maintenance required on the metalcloak suspension. I’m very mechanical savvy but on a brand new expensive Jeep and with limited time, I would rather have it done quickly and professionally.
I’m also the type of person that likes to do things the “right way” the first time. From everything I have read, the maintenance on the metalcloak should be minimal. Am I correct or am i missing something?
Thanks!
there is almost no maintenance involved with metalcloak unless you had 6 pack shocks. The bushings can be teflon greased if you felt like they need it but should be almost never. They include some with the kit if you felt inclined. But getting that massive snap ring out would be a nightmare. Other than that no maintenance needed other than periodically checking torqe on everything but that goes with any suspension stock or not.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Is this shop an authorized installer? If not, contact MC and ask who they have in the area.

Brett

pokey02

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 JCW, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Hi,
Thanks!
If you live in a rust area, make sure you put antiseize on the threads of the shank where the jam nut is. I made the mistake of not doing that and the threads wound up rusted over .. the arm basically fell apart. Anyway, lesson was learned and after I replaced all the control arms, everything gets antiseize now.

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Brett

Is there any maintenance need on the game changer lift (grease bushings or anything)?

Thanks!
From what I've seen and been told is they are very low to no maintenance. The new duroflex with kevlar are holding up great. You could disassemble them and lube them periodically and I would think that is mainly location dependent but we just run them. When they are worn out, we will rebuild them. They are less maintenance than many of the other joints on the market. If I lived in the salt belt i would be more cognizant of the potentials of rust as a whole though.

As for what you were told if he wasnt an authorized installer than he would be much more likely to promote his house brand. Wouldnt be anything personal just might be what he is comfortable with. Betweek JKS and MC, MC all the way!

Like previously mentioned, the 6 paks are a different animal with maintenance and id suggest the rocksports unless you need the absolute maximum amount of flex. The 6 paks are a true high performance, rebuildable shock, they come at a price, both initially and maintenance.

Brett

OP
OP

MT1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima
Thanks all for the info. That is why I was going with rocksports and not the 6 packs. I’m on the east coast in New York and not far from the ocean, so yes, rust is something I will have to be cognizant about. Especially as it will be driven on the beach on occasion in the summer belts.
Not sure if he’s an authorized MC dealer. I figured he might work closely with JKS when he mentioned them.
If I wasn’t going the control arm route (which is what he was talking about), then I was going to go AEV.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks all for the info. That is why I was going with rocksports and not the 6 packs. I’m on the east coast in New York and not far from the ocean, so yes, rust is something I will have to be cognizant about. Especially as it will be driven on the beach on occasion in the summer belts.
Not sure if he’s an authorized MC dealer. I figured he might work closely with JKS when he mentioned them.
If I wasn’t going the control arm route (which is what he was talking about), then I was going to go AEV.
Reach out to MC for an installer recommendation is my suggestion. Also, youre in RKs backyard. Considered them at all?

Brett

OP
OP

MT1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima
Actually was originally going between the game changer and X factor. Second was the 2.5” aev.

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Actually was originally going between the game changer and X factor. Second was the 2.5” aev.
I think both are excellent choices

Brett

BostonBilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Great question, I am also thinking about the Game Changer and live in New England

OffroadTreks

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU 2.0TE
Vehicle Showcase
Shops tend to sell you what they can get kickbacks on and will tell people all kinds of bullshit. See it all the time.
Sponsored