Maximus 3 Tow Loops

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
This is incorrect - Roadmaster base plate, recessed Aztec winch mount and Zeon 10s winch.

064D16A3-8EC0-4F7C-BFAF-8249C0BA0CBE.jpeg

Roadmaster sells two styles of base plates - direct connect and crossbar style. The 521456-5 base plate I installed is a direct connect and a crossbar is not required.

Now if it was this style of Roadmaster I would definitely use a crossbar.

34C59AA2-5355-496D-91FC-77AA3FDB50BA.jpeg

I just upgrade from a plastic bumper to the OEM bumper and had to replace the old Roadmaster base plate. The old baseplate is three years old and has over 30K miles of towing on it. Looks brand new, no damage to Jeep and no crossbar required.

FE1525F8-B543-451B-B914-33753FCE8B1F.jpeg

I do agree that the Jeep has very thin frame horns and anything bolted to this area for towing or recover should be inspected frequently.

I too am not trying to persuade anyone either way. Just sharing what I did when I looked at cost and what I felt was the safest way to tow the Jeep along with adding a winch to it.
That winch mounting would be the exception and not the rule as so most winch plates mount to the inside of the frame and horn, where as the thickness of the Roadmaster Baseplate plevents most winch plates from fitting between the frames, the Warn winchplate is a great example and requires an outside mount baseplate.

That particular baseplate you have is similar to the Blue Ox/Curt baseplate that most offroaders do not want due to the longer protuding towbar adapter connectors as well as that cross bar being so low out in front (that cross bar on my previous Blue Ox is where the welds broke). You can also use the Blue Ox Baseplate then you can use any winch plate and achieve the same thing. The big draw to the Maximus 3 and the other Roadmaster RM-521453-5 (which is the actual comparison being discussed here) which are both minimalist base plates with the least exposure and far more rock and off road friendly then the blue ox/curt style Roadmaster uses for winch mounting. It is a solid munted base plate though which certainly makes it better then the Blue Ox.
Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Thanks for clearing that up. Not sure why some forum members state items as factual when they have no direct experience... Your kit looks really similar to the Grand Cherokee L kit. Installing the kit on the GCL was a pain in the butt, required entire front fascia to come off and a lot of cutting and trimming of metal. However, it is super sturdy!
Becasue that version of the Roadmaster was not the discussion. That version of the Roadmaster that accepts a winch is just a glorified Blue OX baseplate. The main reason folks are installing the Maximus and the individual frame mounted Roadmaster 521453-5 is to get away from the clearance issues of the Roadmaster 521450-5 which has the same clearance issues as the Blue Ox/curt base plate. The Roadmaster is just a beefed up knock off of the Blue OX. Which is fine but was not the discussion. Yes the Blue OX style Roadmaster 521450-5 does not require the tie rod however it has the tie rod equivalent that is welded to the bottom of the base plate that is a clearance problem. It is useless to discuss Oranges when the discussion is about apples...

jmait769

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited, 1977 Scout SSII
That winch mounting would be the exception and not the rule as so most winch plates mount to the inside of the frame and horn, where as the thickness of the Roadmaster Baseplate plevents most winch plates from fitting between the frames, the Warn winchplate is a great example and requires an outside mount baseplate.

That particular baseplate you have is similar to the Blue Ox/Curt baseplate that most offroaders do not want due to the longer protuding towbar adapter connectors as well as that cross bar being so low out in front (that cross bar on my previous Blue Ox is where the welds broke). You can also use the Blue Ox Baseplate then you can use any winch plate and achieve the same thing. The big draw to the Maximus 3 and the other Roadmaster RM-521453-5 (which is the actual comparison being discussed here) which are both minimalist base plates with the least exposure and far more rock and off road friendly then the blue ox/curt style Roadmaster uses for winch mounting. It is a solid munted base plate though which certainly makes it better then the Blue Ox.
I’m sorry but you are just incorrect on the winch plate info (the plate is mounted to the inside frame and horn) and the difference between Roadmaster and Blue Ox baseplates. You are correct though that the Blue Ox base plate hangs out there!
Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus 3 Tow Loops C8BBED8D-004B-45C8-82E6-8D6C60E5E511

Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus 3 Tow Loops E01F1A78-5B03-465B-9C66-04914F6C3AD1

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I’m sorry but you are just incorrect on the winch plate info (the plate is mounted to the inside frame and horn) and the difference between Roadmaster and Blue Ox baseplates. You are correct though that the Blue Ox base plate hangs out there!

Becasue the crossbar on the Roadmaster521450-5 (Blue Ox Knock off) is concealed on the Roadmaster does not negate the FACT that you now have less clearance and approach angle across the width of the front end. This is the main complaint of both the Radmaster and Blue Ox, that is a very common thread right here on JL forums. This is one of the main reasons people have moved to the Maximus as well as the Roadmaster 521453-5 .

Then while most winch plates will not work with the RM 521453-5 due to frame clearaces, winch plates are accomodated by the Maximus 3 by simply installing them on the outside of the frame..

Look if you are not a off roader where clearance and approacj angle is important then your Rodmaster and the Blue ox are good choices. I have to ask you though since all the welded components of the Roadmaster are concealed how do you inspect thos parts and welds? That is a real thing as that is a issue with the Blue Ox style base plates and it happened to me with my previous baseplate.

Again the conversation was comparing the M3 and the RM 521453-5 (which does not allow for most winchplates).

Like I said I have been down this road here is my JL with the Blue Ox/Curt (which I also currently own, however Blue Ox has been removed since the broken cross bar weld). By the way the clearance difference between the RM 521450-5 is only .6 of an inch. I have the Maximus on my 4xe so I have had the opprotunity to offroad with both styles of base plates.

Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus 3 Tow Loops tow 1

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Clearance does not matter if you are running steps on side bars that drop down another foot below the tub and mud flaps... Most people that are flat towing are not running extreme trails and that is fine. The clearance gained with the Maximus system is probably not needed for 90% of the people flat towing.

The initial simplicity of the Maximus system is what drew me to it. Looked super easy and had the best clearance. Unfortunately, it was not well thought out and by the time you drill through the frame and and the tie in kit and cross bar, you have done the same work as you would for the more common brand brackets. I would still do it again because of the clearance improvement. The tow loops hang down a bit, but take a beating. I have hit them hard a couple of times and only chipped off the powder coat. I am not sure the other bracket systems will hold up as well on the rocks. I could see the tubes getting pinched and certainly the little metal pieces that come out for the safety cables bending upwards. Not too mention the dirt and crap that is going to get into the tubes. Neither which are an issue with the Maximus system.

Roadmaster and Blue Ox have been making tow bar systems for years with a ridiculously low percent failure rate. Unfortunately, the vast majority of owners do not regularly check their bar torque specs and welds and they still hold up for years.

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Clearance does not matter if you are running steps on side bars that drop down another foot below the tub and mud flaps... Most people that are flat towing are not running extreme trails and that is fine. The clearance gained with the Maximus system is probably not needed for 90% of the people flat towing.

The initial simplicity of the Maximus system is what drew me to it. Looked super easy and had the best clearance. Unfortunately, it was not well thought out and by the time you drill through the frame and and the tie in kit and cross bar, you have done the same work as you would for the more common brand brackets. I would still do it again because of the clearance improvement. The tow loops hang down a bit, but take a beating. I have hit them hard a couple of times and only chipped off the powder coat. I am not sure the other bracket systems will hold up as well on the rocks. I could see the tubes getting pinched and certainly the little metal pieces that come out for the safety cables bending upwards. Not too mention the dirt and crap that is going to get into the tubes. Neither which are an issue with the Maximus system.

Roadmaster and Blue Ox have been making tow bar systems for years with a ridiculously low percent failure rate. Unfortunately, the vast majority of owners do not regularly check their bar torque specs and welds and they still hold up for years.
1st off those Steps on mine are Sliders with REMOVABLE drop steps, takes 5 minites to remove them for full grounfd to frame off road clearance. The Mud Flaps are RokBlokz also removable in less then 5 minutes designed to quick release for off Road.

If you read all the Maximus 3 threads both here and Facebook Jl forums Clearance is the #1 reason for Maximus 3 Popularity. If clearance is not an issue for 90% (which is not supported data) then why do a large percent install lift kits? No one is saying that the RM or even the Blue Ox are not viable base plates, however they both come with compromises, again loss of groud clearance and aproach angle across the entire front of the Wrangler, and welded components that require regular inspection (which are hidden on the RM). I think we have all learned how important inspection can be on this forum alone with the Gen-1 maxumus damages and failures.

Maybe you should do your homework before quoting lack of failure of Blue Ox and Roadmaster. Gen 1 Blue ox did not have the current safety cable that now wraps around the baseplate and frame in the event the base plate fails, it was base plate failures that encurages Blue Ox to add that feature. Blue ox is also experiencing weld failures. Rodmaster has been damaging countless frame horns just like the Maximus on thier last generation of 521453-5 Base plates. They too are learning as they go and are not perfect products. Then before that RM did not even frame tie thier baseplates causing even bigger issues. Roadmaster and Blue OX are not perfect but they are topshelf along with now Maximus, however Maximus is simply fare more robust with significant off road clearance advantages.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

1st off those Steps on mine are Sliders with REMOVABLE drop steps, takes 5 minites to remove them for full grounfd to frame off road clearance. The Mud Flaps are RokBlokz also removable in less then 5 minutes designed to quick release for off Road.

If you read all the Maximus 3 threads both here and Facebook Jl forums Clearance is the #1 reason for Maximus 3 Popularity. If clearance is not an issue for 90% (which is not supported data) then why do a large percent install lift kits? No one is saying that the RM or even the Blue Ox are not viable base plates, however they both come with compromises, again loss of groud clearance and aproach angle across the entire front of the Wrangler, and welded components that require regular inspection (which are hidden on the RM). I think we have all learned how important inspection can be on this forum alone with the Gen-1 maxumus damages and failures.

Maybe you should do your homework before quoting lack of failure of Blue Ox and Roadmaster. Gen 1 Blue ox did not have the current safety cable that now wraps around the baseplate and frame in the event the base plate fails, it was base plate failures that encurages Blue Ox to add that feature. Blue ox is also experiencing weld failures. Rodmaster has been damaging countless frame horns just like the Maximus on thier last generation of 521453-5 Base plates. They too are learning as they go and are not perfect products. Then before that RM did not even frame tie thier baseplates causing even bigger issues. Roadmaster and Blue OX are not perfect but they are topshelf along with now Maximus, however Maximus is simply fare more robust with significant off road clearance advantages.
Never mentioned your or your rig, not sure why you keep taking this personal and getting so excited. Tons of people put lifts on and winches and never take their rigs on anything other than fire roads. Countless frame horns still does not equate to a % of damage per unit sold. Here you go for the 90% off-road data...

"Few brands are so closely associated with off-roading than Land Rover and Jeep. Mark Allen, head of design at Jeep, told ABC News in September 2019 that 10% to 15% of customers take their Wranglers off-road. Skid plates, a necessity for challenging environs, come standard on all Wranglers and Jeep Gladiator trucks." https://abcnews.go.com/Business/car...-americans-off-roading-suvs/story?id=74138437

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Never mentioned your or your rig, not sure why you keep taking this personal and getting so excited. Tons of people put lifts on and winches and never take their rigs on anything other than fire roads. Countless frame horns still does not equate to a % of damage per unit sold. Here you go for the 90% off-road data...

"Few brands are so closely associated with off-roading than Land Rover and Jeep. Mark Allen, head of design at Jeep, told ABC News in September 2019 that 10% to 15% of customers take their Wranglers off-road. Skid plates, a necessity for challenging environs, come standard on all Wranglers and Jeep Gladiator trucks." https://abcnews.go.com/Business/car...-americans-off-roading-suvs/story?id=74138437
Dude that is not DATA that is a guesstemate by an Jeep Exec, it is neither a survey or study data. That same articcle also suggest that Toyota is 20% and Ford 12-18%. So are Jeep owners the least likley to off road compared to other 4wd brands, I do not think so. In the JK days they estoimated 35-45% of JK's owners would off road.

Considering that it is likley that more than 50% of this forum members will or do off road makes clearance a relative discussion, Again it is the #1 reason maximus is the Baseplate of Choice (next to bumper tow) and the Clearance is the #1 complaint of Blue Ox and the RM. I am not saying anything that has not been discussed Ad nauseam on this very forum site. I am only stating the obvious facts that the mentioned baseplates will compromise clearance and approach angles. These are facts not opinions.

Also you pingeoned holed steps and mud flaps as being an issue for clearance and I simply used mine as an example since I have both that it is not an issue with the right combination of off road products.

Myself having had the Blue Ox style baseplate that had to be replaced due to cracked welds (possibly casued by contact to ground or objects) these are valid arguments especially the lack of visibility to inspect your base plate like the RM products. This thread would not even excist if it were not for those of us that inspected our Maximus setups to ounly find damaged frames and horns.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

We were 3 months and 9 or 10 pages into the fix before you joined the thread and already working on the fix. Re-read the 20% line, Toyota is stating that 20% of all off-roading occurs in a Toyota, not 20% of all Toyotas are used off road. I imagine Mark Allen has some kind of data to back his claim or he would not have allowed it to be published. I completely agree clearance is a relative topic. Whether 1-2" below the front bumper makes a difference to the type of wheeling most do on here is another story. Either way, not worth arguing over, have a nice evening.
Sponsored