Major steering issue problem with JL Wrangler. Please watch

SurfingJeep

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport (soon I hope), BMW 335xi M-Sport
I know, but #236 suggests a further update as well. I hope #234 isn't the extent of it. Would be nice to have additional details on what the software update actually fixed, if it is indeed the solution (i.e. what the culprit was to begin with).
Sponsored

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Yeah, from what people described it didn't seem like a software problem, but we'll see I guess.

jman

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A van and a boring car
Well then, definitely looking forward to Kevin8086's update. I'm not exactly optimistic, as a firmware or software update seems like an overly simplistic solution to an issue that appears to be more mechanical in nature, but holding out hope that it could be enough to warrant picking up a JL over Memorial Day Weekend.
The software drives the hardware. So it is very possible .

OP
OP
Kevin8086

Kevin8086

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I can’t say for sure what all was done. The gave me very limited info. They are taking our old jeep back to their testing facility and trying to pinpoint the issue. They did take our new Jeep for like 5 days and tested it from -2* to 105* before delivering it to us.
They fixed something in the steering column and put a 2 door steering calibration on it. That’s all the info I got. New Jeep has been perfect so far and I’ve driven it 1000 miles in 2 days.

Sponsored

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (His) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS (Hers)
Vehicle Showcase
I can’t say for sure. They are taking our old jeep back to their testing facility and trying to pinpoint the issue. The did take our new Jeep for like 5 days and tested it from -2* to 105*
They did something in the column and put a 2 door steering calibration on it. That’s all the info I got. New Jeep has been perfect so far and I’ve driven it 1000 miles in 2 days.
Was it an even swap or did you pay the higher price increase difference when they gave you another Jeep?

OP
OP
Kevin8086

Kevin8086

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Was it an even swap or did you pay the higher price increase difference when they gave you another Jeep?
They did an even swap and swapped out lift and tires to new wheels and swapped out spiderwebshade. So we just basically did a 100% swap.

SurfingJeep

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can’t say for sure what all was done. The gave me very limited info. They are taking our old jeep back to their testing facility and trying to pinpoint the issue. They did take our new Jeep for like 5 days and tested it from -2* to 105* before delivering it to us.
They fixed something in the steering column and put a 2 door steering calibration on it. That’s all the info I got. New Jeep has been perfect so far and I’ve driven it 1000 miles in 2 days.
If these adjustments were made on a new JLU before they gave you possession, I'm guessing there needs to be a TSB/Recall coming soon for the rest of the JL fleet. Too bad they didn't share additional info. That would've been helpful. But understand that they are still inspecting/investigating.

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
If it was as simple as a software calibration than why replace an entire vehicle? I’m not buying it. Not the solution or the JL until there’s a clear explanation of cause and solution. This isn’t a top leaking that’s just annoying. We’re talking about buyers experiencing possible accidents. I expect and demand better.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kevin8086

Kevin8086

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Sorry guys. That’s all I have. They are being proactive. Jeep is going to take mine back to have engineers test and find root cause. I’m sure at that point they will issue a TSB but that is all speculation at this point. I’m trying to stay with just facts for now. I hope everyone understands that.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
If it was as simple as a software calibration than why replace an entire vehicle? I’m not buying it. Not the solution or the JL until there’s a clear explanation of cause and solution. This isn’t a top leaking that’s just annoying. We’re talking about buyers experiencing possible accidents. I expect and demand better.
I think it's so they can continue testing it.

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
I think it's so they can continue testing it.
Plausible but without already understanding the issue and workable solution how can Jeep be confident any replacement vehicle isn’t prone to the same issue including all currently sitting on production lines, dealer lots or being driven by owners? Further testing would imply all hasn’t been figured out. Hopefully replacement units aren’t to quiet the few and appease the masses.

Luckily for me I’m almost certain to wait on a MY19 but I can get impatient and soon as a 2.0 hits a dealer lot feel the sudden urge to take it home then and not wait any longer. Been known to do that. I’m only human. I’d like to have that option now. Not bashing on Jeep. Expecting them to do the right thing so I can buy mine when that itch can no longer avoid being scratched. :)

SurfingJeep

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Luckily for me I’m almost certain to wait on a MY19 but I can get impatient and soon as a 2.0 hits a dealer lot feel the sudden urge to take it home then and not wait any longer. Been known to do that. I’m only human. I’d like to have that option now. Not bashing on Jeep. Expecting them to do the right thing so I can buy mine when that itch can no longer avoid being scratched. :)
Lol. Can relate. I was hoping to enjoy Memorial Day Weekend with the top down in a new JL. Have been to dealerships with checkbook in hand but keep holding back due to this issue. And as much as I have tried to do so, I just cannot convince myself to get into a JK for the time being, and almost pulled trigger on an '05 TJ last weekend.

Hope the other Jeeps mentioned in this thread make their way to this same group of FCA engineers.