M.O.R.E. Dead Pedal install tip

drburns

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I just installed a similar dead pedal today. I’ll admit this was one of the most frustrating installations for such a simple part. I used a zip tie to hold the bracket in place. The 3m double side tape didn’t help. The zip tie kept it in place nice and tight. Unfortunately I dropped 2 nuts and a washer behind the kick panel trying to get the back stud tightened, never to be seen again. Hopefully they don’t rattle around. Lock nuts would have been a better, easier option.
Sponsored

cram501

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Mojito! Moab
I've installed a couple now (mine and one for my Dads). I use some painters tape to hold the back plate on. I found that pulling on the trim, and letting the outside piece sit on the trim (with the base metal part behind the trim) simplified things immensely. Doing that allowed me to get it aligned and tighten the nuts on with little issue and one hand.

Once I figured that out, the second one was complete in less than 15 mins.

BrnxBomr2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willys Recon
Back from the dead... no pun intended. Haha. I did this today. Saw all the reports it took too long. Took me about 20 min to have it mounted. It is a little tight, but it can get done. The directions they send out now are corrected and even suggest using masking tape to hold the bracket in place. I’m 5’9” and used first position. Should’ve came from the factory with the damn thing.

DF9B4BF2-1C4F-41A7-8A94-B54296226956.jpeg

E86B9666-1198-4277-AA32-DC740C6F2370.jpeg

492177DB-092D-4839-9DF5-652F9A99202A.jpeg

PeeCeeJunior

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2dr Sport
I installed the Beske dead pedal yesterday:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y1JFPJ6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's alright. Installation was annoying as one nut would not tighten no matter what I tried. I eventually had to go find a spare nut in my workbench. Also, they stole their directions from Quadratec's similar dead pedal. Quadratec's directions are better than Beske's, but the Quadratec package includes an extra washer that the Beske pedal doesn't have, yet they still reference it in the directions. If proof reading isn't a priority then I doubt quality control is. It is cheap though.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
Holy crap, this install was horrific! After about an hour of standing on my head in the foot well and swearing profusely, it's finally on.

Jeep Wrangler JL M.O.R.E. Dead Pedal install tip 492177DB-092D-4839-9DF5-652F9A99202A
I agree! There are guys on here that said it was a 15 minute installation! Well those folks obviously belong to the "gifted person" club. Adjustment is impossible unless you take it back out and start fighting all over again. I finally got frustrated and threw it straight into my scrap metal pile for repurposing. There are other, easier options that work just as well if not better.

Sponsored

revolversoul

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
back from the dead...pedal install. Geesh, what a pain! It took about 45 minutes to get it finished, as I have it in the middle position, and that back screw was a nightmare to get to. I did string, and then a zip tie as I have seen recommended on the forum, and that held the back bracket in place pretty well. Just glad I don't have to do this again, as contorting to get into the footwell can make for a sore back!

parbo

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Just finished installing following the advise of using a zip tie to hold the stud bracket. Pretty straight forward. Took about 30 minutes in the middle position. Using a piece of masking tape in the inside wall of a socket helps hold the nut inside the socket. Use a long extension.

goboom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport Altitude
I did the install today. I read through the entire thread, and I was ready. The holes in the aluminum were the pain for me. They were just a hair out ofalignment. I used twine to retrieve the back bracket only once! I opted to do the top hole in first as it was the toughest. Then I was able to force in the lower hole.

Jeep Wrangler JL M.O.R.E. Dead Pedal install tip 20200711_210607

I was cautious with the wire bundle hiding back there. I shoved a rag behind the bracket to hold it in place long enough to start the threads.

Jeep Wrangler JL M.O.R.E. Dead Pedal install tip 20200711_210714

Jeep Wrangler JL M.O.R.E. Dead Pedal install tip 20200711_210641

It feels incredibly solid. Following all the advice, tips, and doing the prep work inside the house before trying to be a contorsionist, I spent maybe 30 minutes outside.

FrankieFJL

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
I did the install today. I read through the entire thread, and I was ready. The holes in the aluminum were the pain for me. They were just a hair out ofalignment. I used twine to retrieve the back bracket only once! I opted to do the top hole in first as it was the toughest. Then I was able to force in the lower hole.

I was cautious with the wire bundle hiding back there. I shoved a rag behind the bracket to hold it in place long enough to start the threads.

It feels incredibly solid. Following all the advice, tips, and doing the prep work inside the house before trying to be a contorsionist, I spent maybe 30 minutes outside.
Great job! There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

20200711_210607.jpg

20200711_210714.jpg

20200711_210641.jpg

@goboom

Posts like yours are a real asset to forum goers.. What you encountered, install details and pics are a real plus to others that want to install a similar aftermarket offering... Thanks for taking the time to come here and post as you did...

Not sure what you do for a living or for recreation, but if you tend to get your big feet full of mud, horse chitt and such, consider a cover for your OBDll port.. Since you are a guy that likes to keep your left foot up in that area well, you are probably a candidate for an OBDll cover. A cover can save you a lot of headaches in the future....

Read here:https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/obdll-port-cover-obdll-port-protection.54022/

Jeep Wrangler JL M.O.R.E. Dead Pedal install tip il_1140xN.2533043381_cdkf

Plastic Cover for OBDll Diagnostic Connector GM12146933
Jeep Wrangler JL M.O.R.E. Dead Pedal install tip 71SCorQNVFL._SL1500_

Last edited:

Sponsored

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant

Looks like the installation comes with strings attached! Contortionist is the operative word. Good job.

RobP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Rubicon & '22 JLUR XR
I had this on my JKR and it was an easy install, this not so much.
Here are the 4 things that made it easier for me (and already mentioned in various threads but I'll summarize):

Attach a string to the backing plate so when you inevitably drop it, it's easy to retrieve from behind the panel
Use duct tape to hold the backing plate to the aluminum mount. Run it from the back of the plate over the top of the aluminum mount.
Drill out the 2 holes in the pedal assembly just a bit that line up with the backing plate before you install. It gives you a little extra room to line up the bolts
There are two connected wire looms (1 large/1 small) in the front where the pedal assembly will sit. Be sure they don't interfere. Once I moved the loom, it was much easier to move to pedal assembly into position.
Sponsored