Sponsored

OBDll Port Cover / OBDll Port Protection

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Regarding the JL being "water resistant" and such.... :facepalm:

Years ago with one of my JK's, I was out in the mud and got back in the Jeep and got mud all up into the OBDll port. What a mess to deal with. It's just so easy to splash / get mud into it if you tend to get out in the yuck and then jump back in and...

Anyway, since then I buy and place an OBDll cover over the OBDll port.

I take a 5" piece of fishing line and tie one end to the cap and the other end up above and slightly behind the OBDll port itself to a cable there. I do this so when I or a Tech remove the cap that it just dangles there until I or they put it back on the OBDll port. Thus it does not get lost.

With the cap, the OBDll port is protected.... from snow, mud, water, horse shit, etc., that might head up the OBDll ports way.

For $10.00+- , the cap is a good investment. I know getting the mud issue in the OBDll port, remedied, years ago cost me way way more the that.

Real cool, custom OBDll Cover with the JL grill on it:
https://jeepsnapcaps.com/collections/all

Jeep Wrangler JL OBDll Port Cover / OBDll Port Protection JL-Custom OBDll Cover

Jeep Wrangler JL OBDll Port Cover / OBDll Port Protection il_1140xN.2533043381_cdkf

Picture cap below. (A GM part), yes, it fits.... Can be found on eBAY, etc..

Plastic Cover for OBDll Diagnostic Connector GM12146933

Jeep Wrangler JL OBDll Port Cover / OBDll Port Protection 71SCorQNVFL._SL1500_
Sponsored

Last edited:

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
Keep us posted with a link on where to find it!

Dudley Dawson

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
That’s really neat. I’m in. I love these little functional mods. It’s a non OEM “easter egg” to boot.

Side note: Good thinking regarding the retention cord / fishing line. I just had a “Free” 5-tire rotation at the dealer, and guess what happened to the rear camera cover on the spare tire carrier? Bye bye - it’s gone. They will be buying a new one (and I will do my own tire rotations from now on).

Thanks.

Sponsored

ErAcEr

First Name
Matthew (Mateo)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 ZH2 , 2018 Z900, 2013 Vulcan 1700
Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Can I get the .STL file? ill print one my self.

elf883

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JlU
Occupation
stationary engineer
i need to design one and test fit on my rig printing test print as i type this now

elf883

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JlU
Occupation
stationary engineer
i need to design one and test fit on my rig printing test print as i type this now
ok print finished i forgot it was even going lol - fast print , on one of my smaller printers. looks good for a test print - will test fit in morning and reprint better version if its all good !!! thanks for the idea !!

IMG_0469.jpg

IMG_0470.jpg

IMG_0476.jpg

elf883

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JlU
Occupation
stationary engineer
the fit was spot on perfect !! u have to push it on its a little snug but will def not fall off . unless its reallllllllllllllllllllly hot inside the rig the plastic should be fine, if not i will have to print in petg or abs to withstand the hotter temps.. i will get a photo of it installed later on

Mr80thSnaz

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998,1999 Neon R/T: '21 JLU 80th
Any update on this? I can 3d print as well and in PLA+ it should be enough for most hot conditions inside the car (out of direct sunlight). Is there a working STL file? if not I can re-create it... figured it might save a little time :)

Sponsored

elf883

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JlU
Occupation
stationary engineer
Any update on this? I can 3d print as well and in PLA+ it should be enough for most hot conditions inside the car (out of direct sunlight). Is there a working STL file? if not I can re-create it... figured it might save a little time :)
pla + is fine like said above - so far so good and it keeps the dust water an dirt out of connection
file is
i dont have alot of time to upload stuff or make files public much these days
if u want to email me i will foward it to you [email protected]

JeeperJC

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR and 2020 Jeep Gladiator
Big thanks to Steven (Elf883) for the files to print my own OBD2 port covers. I went with silver/black to match the Jeep.

Looks and fits great, thanks again!

(Pet-G, .02mm resolution, 15% infill with supports to print face up and enabled ironing all top surfaces).

Jeep Wrangler JL OBDll Port Cover / OBDll Port Protection 1
Jeep Wrangler JL OBDll Port Cover / OBDll Port Protection 2
Jeep Wrangler JL OBDll Port Cover / OBDll Port Protection 3
Jeep Wrangler JL OBDll Port Cover / OBDll Port Protection 4

elf883

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JlU
Occupation
stationary engineer
Big thanks to Steven (Elf883) for the files to print my own OBD2 port covers. I went with silver/black to match the Jeep.

Looks and fits great, thanks again!

(Pet-G, .02mm resolution, 15% infill with supports to print face up and enabled ironing all top surfaces).

looks good , dual color printer ? nice nice i just use my normal prusa and swap color the old way lol .. ironing top layers i find leaves more marks then anything but yours looks good . fit was ok ??
it varies from jeep to jeep and @Rhinebeck01 had a good idea to tie fishing line to it, i think thats what he used. i should mod this to have a little hole or loop so others can do this ..

my printers are all tied up printing boba fett full upper armour and master chief helmets lol

looks good hope u get alot of use from it

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
looks good , dual color printer ? nice nice i just use my normal prusa and swap color the old way lol .. ironing top layers i find leaves more marks then anything but yours looks good . fit was ok ??
it varies from jeep to jeep and @Rhinebeck01 had a good idea to tie fishing line to it, i think thats what he used. i should mod this to have a little hole or loop so others can do this ..

my printers are all tied up printing boba fett full upper armour and master chief helmets lol

Yes, I use a piece of fishing line. This way the OBDll cover will not get lost..

I still encourage guys/gals to buy an OBDll port cover. You damage your OBDll port once and you will never want it left uncovered to the elements/crapola again..

About you guys and your 3D printing... Good stuff you are coming up with! The guy that did my Jeep Grill OBDll port cover just came up with a new 3D printed Tazer JL holder, which I installed today... Real nice.. I got it here.

Last edited:

JeeperJC

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR and 2020 Jeep Gladiator

I have a PRUSA as well, I have a MK3S with the MMU2 multi-material head (up to 5 colors at a time). Novel at first, but causes me to constantly tweak it to make sure it's feeding well and for simple color swaps like this its easier to just set the break layer and manually change the color.

The ironing I agree, it's hit or miss. The fit was perfect for me, no sanding, just right. I have printed out two of them (one for my wife's Gladiator and one for my pending JLUR on order).

I like the tether idea as well, perhaps some fishing leader eyelet or even add a little adhesive Velcro strip to stick it under the dash when not in use? If you want to over engineer it, we could add a slot to embed a small neodymium magnet?
Sponsored