Loud cooling fan?

MikeJenkins

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I actually like it. I know that shit is working well. Both JLs have the sound!

STLYoungblood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Ocean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I had my JLU running with my kid in it today while I inflated a pool raft at the gas station air pump...the wrangler was louder than the damn air pump lol!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I drove mine today on a very humid 92 degree exit from the Indy 500 in 1 mph traffic. It made some noise, but the coolant temp stayed around 193 to 195, which is great. I don't mind the noise when it is getting the job done. The air was nice and cool, too. The cooling system has a big job to do when rock crawling at high temps in low range, so again, I've got no problem with it.

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
Mine was hitting 230 cooling temp climbing real mountains in 72 deg weather, the loud fan would bring it back under control

Sponsored

smoore11

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKZ, BMW X3, Jeep Sahara JL, Newmar Dutchstar 4369
I
Our electric cooling fan in the JLU is REALLY loud! We hear it at low speeds inside the cab. I was setting on the front porch a bit ago, and I could hear the fan at a distance of at least 50 yards as the wife came down the road. I've heard fans in other cars but nothing like this. Anybody else notice this issue or is it the nature of the beast?
I had not noticed it until a I had a tow baseplate installed. Thought the tech may have left something. Now I realize it is just a C-5 getting ready for take off!

Bearkat

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2013 JKU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
In ours, it has nothing to do with the remote start but it's when the ac is set to auto. Turn the ac off of auto and the fan quiets down to normal, turn it back on to auto and the fan kicks on to high and is really loud again.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
In ours, it has nothing to do with the remote start but it's when the ac is set to auto. Turn the ac off of auto and the fan quiets down to normal, turn it back on to auto and the fan kicks on to high and is really loud again.
Yep, or when the fan is manually set to high. I've found that if I back it off a couple notches it quiets down, too.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I towed a trailer in 90 degree heat with the A/C on and all my fluid temps stayed around 200 degrees and my trans. temp stayed below 180 so as far as I'm concerned the fan can run like a cat. 5 hurricane if it wants. Function over form!

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Same here. I have found that it is when you set your A/C to MAX, then that fan comes on and it sounds like a turbine blasting full power. I suspect this is because the JKs were know for getting pretty hot under the hood. That is the reason the JLs have fender vents and I suspect the turbo nuclear fan as well.

Also you may hear this depending on how could it is outside. At certain temps when you remote start the Jeep the Jeep anticipates that there may be frost on the windows so it blasts the A/C on hot to defrost and as soon as you open the door it stops. I don't recall if the fan comes on but I know the blower inside the cab is on super hi.

Personally I like it, it sounds like the Jeep is going to take off and I found small children run in fear while peeing themselves when it kicks on.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
A cooling system can move a lot of air and cool very efficiently and still not sound like an 747 taxiing for takeoff. For those that love the loud fans that’s cool. But it’s not necessary that it be so loud to cool the engine and not everyone is on a trail for every mile of their Jeep driving. Since we’ve already reached 100 degree temps here and will stay that way for the next 5 months it’ll be something to get used to until the aftermarket produces a “mall crawler edition” fan for those who’d rather it be quieter.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
A cooling system can move a lot of air and cool very efficiently and still not sound like an 747 taxiing for takeoff. For those that love the loud fans that’s cool. But it’s not necessary that it be so loud to cool the engine and not everyone is on a trail for every mile of their Jeep driving. Since we’ve already reached 100 degree temps here and will stay that way for the next 5 months it’ll be something to get used to until the aftermarket produces a “mall crawler edition” fan for those who’d rather it be quieter.
My guess is it really does need to be that loud. They need a certain cubic feet of air to move across that engine to cool it to the specs they want. There is only one way to do that with a fan which means the fan has to move so much air but is restricted to size and shape of the position it sits in the engine compartment. When you factor all that together you've got a fan that really needs that turbo boost to do what it is needed to do.
My daughter has a JK and it's no fun sitting on the beach waiting for your oil temp to go down because the engine is too hot.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
My guess is it really does need to be that loud. They need a certain cubic feet of air to move across that engine to cool it to the specs they want. There is only one way to do that with a fan which means the fan has to move so much air but is restricted to size and shape of the position it sits in the engine compartment. When you factor all that together you've got a fan that really needs that turbo boost to do what it is needed to do.
My daughter has a JK and it's no fun sitting on the beach waiting for your oil temp to go down because the engine is too hot.
I don’t have a JL yet so I haven't been able to examine it. It’s possible that the fan isn’t the weak link. It could be other components like the water pump or the radiator for example. I’ve replaced radiators in multiple past cars with high efficiency units and made a huge difference in cooling efficiency. On one car the fans seldom cycled on at all because engine temps stayed in the optimum operating range without them.

It’s possible that you’re right and there’s nothing that can be done other than turning up the music louder. But Jeep has a huge and varied aftermarket and I believe that some vendors will see an opportunity to sell me (and probably some other folks) some solution to quiet it down.
Sponsored